advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if it's on Netflix or Prime but someone lent me the Tenet dvd about a month ago, and I tried to watch it yesterday, but I only got about halfway through. Everything about it seems strange. I don't know if it's because It was a dvd on my LG Oled or what, but the picture seemed weird, almost cartoon like. I'm using the built-in TV speakers at the moment and they aren't great, so that could explain some of the problems I was experiencing with the sound. The sound had no ambience, and it also had odd sounds that didn't appear to go with the movie. I had to really crank up the volume to hear what people were saying. To top it off, the whole movie is weird and the acting isn't great either.

It gets good reviews though, so maybe I need to try it again?

If I could travel backwards in time, as I passed myself coming forward I would tell myself to not bother with Tenet. I thought it was very poor, and I am huge admirer of Nolan - I thought Dunkirk was one of the best films of the last few years, and The Dark Knight is superb. But Tenet didn’t do it for me.
Tenet was awful, the backwards/forwards scenes were very clever. Nothing else was

On Amazon Prime, The Real Manhunter. Very well done documentary series about DCI Collin Sutton, one episode per case. In my view, the man is very impressive - a quiet, thoughtful hero and a great role model for all police.

I agree Martin, being an old scroat myself I find it very amusing. Elevated by Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin, & the other good actors. Oh, and a big plus for me - there's no canned laughter!
Interesting that this was written by Chuck Lorre who was the mastermind behind ‘The Big Bang Theory’ the long running story of the relationships between YOUNG Californian scientists. The use of a clever scripting and a unique lead in Sheldon Cooper made it very popular with the more elderly.
Worth revisiting ..On Netflix.
J

Second series of Lupin now out. French crime drama with subtitles and a slightly off beat premise. Lightweight but well done and enjoyable

Once were Warriors on Amazon Prime Hard hitting portrayal of Māori life in i would guess the 80s great performances although hard to watch in parts as its pretty violent.

Yes, I remember watching Once Were Warriors and Romper Stomper with Russell Crowe in the same sitting. Uplifting stuff LOL

Romper I'd recommend to anyone who doubted that Crowe wasn't a charasmatic future star in the making. He steals the show. It also shows the tough parts of Melbourne that I remember 30 years ago that are now trendy / 'gentrified'.
https://www.sbs.com.au/movies/revie...ew-movie-david-stratton-famously-refused-rate

Last edited:
Just watched Dunkirk for the first time on Prime. Wow, what a stunning piece of work. The soundtrack and limited dialogue really did it for me.
Dunkirk is a great movie. There’s some interesting stuff on YouTube about the soundtrack, like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back