advertisement

A bath for lounging in.

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
We had a monster cast iron bath in our last house and idling in the bath is my guilty pleasure, one with lever taps I can work with my toes for extra top ups. Now I’m short of space in the new place ( a separate shower is required as shower over bath may become riskier with advancing age/lousy balance). The designer has spec’d a 1800x800 bath which is same as existing one in the new place but when I measure the internal ‘floor’ of the bath, the length is a measly 1150mm as the bath flares out at the top to give 1800mm.

This got me looking at different designs with more ‘vertical’ sides, for example one of 1700mm with an internal length of 1400mm. Question is, are baths of this design less comfortable to stretch out and lounge in?
this-
https://www.livinghouse.co.uk/acatalog/polar-freestanding-bath.html

A villa we rented a couple of years ago had a bath like that and I found it unbelievably uncomfortable. Furthermore I would never have another cast iron bath as I hate the frozen back syndrome that no amount of toe operated topping up can alleviate.

Have you thought of a deep sitting bath?

We had a monster cast iron bath in our last house and idling in the bath is my guilty pleasure, one with lever taps I can work with my toes for extra top ups. Now I’m short of space in the new place ( a separate shower is required as shower over bath may become riskier with advancing age/lousy balance). The designer has spec’d a 1800x800 bath which is same as existing one in the new place but when I measure the internal ‘floor’ of the bath, the length is a measly 1150mm as the bath flares out at the top to give 1800mm.

This got me looking at different designs with more ‘vertical’ sides, for example one of 1700mm with an internal length of 1400mm. Question is, are baths of this design less comfortable to stretch out and lounge in?
this-

That's very...contemporary!

I've got a traditionally designed free stander which probably looks much like your old cast iron tub, but made of fibre glass, so the frozen back thing is ameliorated. I must measure it.

this-
Don't give a whatsit...

That tub looks lovely, but to my eye, not very comfortable. I’d be looking for a tub with a vertical wall at the drain end, opposite a more sloped wall for reclining. Hopefully that still leaves enough floor space.

That tub looks lovely, but to my eye, not very comfortable. I’d be looking for a tub with a vertical wall at the drain end, opposite a more sloped wall for reclining. Hopefully that still leaves enough floor space.
That’s what I’m thinking. I need to try to get into one at a dealer.

this-
I've not had a bath for over twenty years so can't speak from recent experience, but some of these look like they might better suit your needs.

https://www.sanctuary-bathrooms.co.uk/blog/freestanding-baths-buying-guide/

Those baths are frightfully uncomfortable if you are tall. The steep rise is like sitting in an armchair with no padding. I had one in a hotel I was staying at for work.

If you dont use the sides for support to avoid the armchair affect you basically have to support yourself somehow and it all just gets rather uncomfortable.

It may be easier if you are short, Im 6ft4" and it was an unpleasant but an equally romantic experience as it had a fire next to it and it looked seductive. The bath, not me.

We have something similar and it is very comfortable but you need to try one out in a showroom. Fitting them can be a problem ad you either need a wooden floor with good space underneath or put them on a pedestal, our plumber hates installing this type of bath.

I miss the really deep bath we had in our Tokyo apartment. It had some kind of heating system (controlled by the box on the wall) and the water stayed warm for as long as you left it switched on.

washroom-wet-room-lily-crossley-baxter_0.jpg

Have a look at the Carron range...made in Falkirk. Huge range and available in Carronite a very heavy acrylic. We have the Status 1700 x 800, comfy, deep, double ended.

+1 for a look at the Carron range - bloody heavy to fit!
We specified a deep bath, overall 168 long x 73 wide.
Im another that likes a long hot soak after mauling timber and machines about for several hours.
Gently sloping back, vertical at tap end, and had a nice reading light fitted on the wall at the sloping end :)
Until the new hip a few yrs ago, it was not the easiest to get in and out of for sure.

advertisement

Back