advertisement

Hancock...You've been a Naughty Boy!

My opinion. Not so much an opinion as a sense of rather exhausted relief. You might find it difficult to believe, but I do actually hope that one day whatever the chickens are that this administration has hatched, that they all come home to roost.
On that we can agree…

It all comes down to a lack of democracy, and Labour are as much to blame for that as the Tories as their mass Stockholm Syndrome renders them blind to even the most obvious and destructive systemic failure and corruption.

The GLP are just one part of a far larger protest movement that includes Extinction Rebellion, Black Lives Matter, the wider green movement, Stop Funding Hate and countless other grassroots movements etc. Each one offering a degree of resistance and push-back which now seems impossible within the establishment FPTP charade. A desperate fight for the representation and accountability that should come from within our politics, but clearly doesn’t, and actually never has in this country.

The Tories now being a shameless criminal endeavour and the Labour party their entirely willing captive cowering in an unlocked basement has to move us closer towards an eventual tipping point. When it comes it may obviously go the wrong way into real no holds barred fascism, but my hope is England will one day have the courage to implement a representative democracy. My suspicion is the current situation has a very limited long-term future. I have never known a government take the piss out of the electorate the way this one does on a daily basis, nor a political “opposition” as weak, cowering and feckless as 21st century Labour.

You undoubtedly won't care much for having heard it from me, but I actually agree with bits of that, specifically the last few sentences.

I do think that you are right in that Johnson is very rapidly running out of rope, even amongst his erstwhile supporters. In fact, a lot of conservatives turned on him a long time ago.

How can you have any discussion on the failure to implement PR without starting off with the Lib Dem’s?

As I’ve said many times I view that as their biggest failure and I have not voted for them since. By saying that Labour are so fundamentally shit they don’t even understand the bloody question. To my knowledge no PR pledge has ever been made in a Labour manifesto. As an obsolete 120 year old establishment party of safe-seat trough-feeders it never will be either. To be honest I’m at the point now I’d not even vote for Labour in a Lab/Tory marginal, I just see them as a near-equal partner in a fundamentally corrupt and anti-democratic system.

You undoubtedly won't care much for having heard it from me, but I actually agree with bits of that, specifically the last few sentences.

I do think that you are right in that Johnson is very rapidly running out of rope, even amongst his erstwhile supporters. In fact, a lot of conservatives turned on him a long time ago.
It’s going to be spectacular when it happens as indeed it was when the parliamentary party came for Margaret Hilda with the knives sharpened. I reckon he’ll announce his departure before they attack, for narcissistic reasons.

As I’ve said many times I view that as their biggest failure and I have not voted for them since. By saying that Labour are so fundamentally shit they don’t even understand the bloody question. To my knowledge no PR pledge has ever been made in a Labour manifesto. As an obsolete 120 year old establishment party of safe-seat trough-feeders it never will be either. To be honest I’m at the point now I’d not even vote for Labour in a Lab/Tory marginal, I just see them as a near-equal partner in a fundamentally corrupt and anti-democratic system.
Yes, agree with that, except that precisely because Labour have never had a PR pledge, they shouldn’t be at the top of the list when it comes to discussing PR failures. As for the rest, believe me when I say I’m at least as angry with Labour as you, possibly more as I invested time and money in them have a sense of betrayal as well as the anger

My opinion. Not so much an opinion as a sense of rather exhausted relief. You might find it difficult to believe, but I do actually hope that one day whatever the chickens are that this administration has hatched, that they all come home to roost.

I see @Colin L is suggesting you go for the job. :D. EV you are welcome and entitled to all your opinions and beliefs but at some point you have to look at yourself in the mirror and question your support for a project that these people choose and promoted.

It all comes down to a lack of democracy, and Labour are as much to blame for that as the Tories as their mass Stockholm Syndrome renders them blind to even the most obvious and destructive systemic failure and corruption.

The GLP are just one part of a far larger protest movement that includes Extinction Rebellion, Black Lives Matter, the wider green movement, Stop Funding Hate and countless other grassroots movements etc. Each one offering a degree of resistance and push-back which now seems impossible within the establishment FPTP charade. A desperate fight for the representation and accountability that should come from within our politics, but clearly doesn’t, and actually never has in this country.

The Tories now being a shameless criminal endeavour and the Labour party their entirely willing captive cowering in an unlocked basement has to move us closer towards an eventual tipping point. When it comes it may obviously go the wrong way into real no holds barred fascism, but my hope is England will one day have the courage to implement a representative democracy. My suspicion is the current situation has a very limited long-term future. I have never known a government take the piss out of the electorate the way this one does on a daily basis, nor a political “opposition” as weak, cowering and feckless as 21st century Labour.
Don’t disagree on Labour (although a lot of what we’re seeing now is a direct result of lots of respectable political players joining forces to make sure Labour’s one attempt to offer an alternative failed). But these groups you mention are all quite different and potentially at odds with one another. It’s nice to see them but they don’t constitute a movement.

The more you think about it the more the “It’s The Sun Wot Did It”/ love rat/ shaggers story is a beautiful distraction. Everyone has a good laugh and moves on.

I’m surprised he quit. But it’s a careful what you wish for moment. Whatever Hancock’s failings it seems he stood up to the Treasury. Javid is Treasury. So we’re further away than ever from policy that would actually work - better sick pay, support to isolate - and a good bit closer to Get Back to Work Prole Scum.

My old mother used to say that in Italy politicians fall over money, in England over sex. Looks like she was right, amazing that with everything else he did wrong, the incompetence, the corruption, that you all describe and I have no reason to doubt, he should only resign over sex! What a strange country!

Oh, I don't think it was about the sex. No shame there. It was the hypocrisy what dun it in the end. 'Do as I say, not as I do.'

Of considerable interest in all of this is how the video got leaked. I'd suggest that the boffathon was well known and the camera placed to capture it for political reasons.
Obviously an inside job, and Harry Cole is a good mate of, and outlet for Spaffer.
Spaffer couldn't sack Hancock given all that's gone before, but him having to resign probably suits him well.

I suggest offering the job to Eternumviti. He's got the right Brexit credentials and clearly thinks a lot of himself, his knowledge and abilities.

Not me, Colin, I know a little bit about wine, I don't think it qualifies me. FYI, I don't have a high opinion of myself, my knowledge, or my abilities at all. I just happen to be confident that I am cleverer, more knowledgeable and more able than you. Not a particularly elevated bar, eh?

BOOM, BOOM! Sorry, I jest, but you did set yourself up :)

Regarding the camera. I have long half wondered what dirt Hancock has on the PM that he has retained, against every dazzling indication of his incompetence and probable corruption, his job. I don't imagine for one minute that there's a trail, but if there were one, it wouldn't surprise me in the least should it lead back to No.10 Downing Street.

Tomorrow's Observer editorial - the rotten core remains.

"This serious incompetence coupled with an undermining of the government’s emergency response by transgressing its regulations and a breaking of the ministerial code mean that his position was untenable. But his resignation does not fix the wider lack of integrity in government. Johnson is a prime minister who has ripped up the political honour code. He lies to the public when it is politically convenient and, like Hancock, he has repeatedly failed to declare personal interests: his intimate relationship with Jennifer Arcuri, whose company received thousands of pounds from City Hall when he was mayor of London and the appointment of the mother of one of his children as an adviser. He bears even more responsibility for the terrible pandemic death toll than Hancock. And he has permitted other ministers who have been found to have transgressed the ministerial code, such as Priti Patel, to continue in office.

The Hancock affair goes beyond the conduct of the health secretary. It speaks to a rotten culture of impunity, where blind and unswerving loyalty matters far more in high office than competence, integrity and honesty. The cabinet is filled with ministers who do not regard themselves as subject to the same rules as the rest of us, who regard public office as an opportunity for financial gain, who time and again disrespect ordinary citizens who obey the law and stick to the rules. This is government by people who see politics less as a chance to serve their country and more as a game at which they are entitled to play, regardless of the consequences. Hancock’s position was untenable. But his resignation will do nothing to change the fundamental character of our government while Johnson remains prime minister."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/26/the-observer-view-on-the-matt-hancock-affair

I see @Colin L is suggesting you go for the job. :D. EV you are welcome and entitled to all your opinions and beliefs but at some point you have to look at yourself in the mirror and question your support for a project that these people choose and promoted.

Sure, I do, and believe me, I've spent a lot of time reflecting. I try not to actually look in the mirror though, because it dismays me. It's an age thing, and I might be just a little vain.

I never supported our membership of the EU, which was, I think, founded in 1993 with Jolly John Major's Maastricht con. I'm not sure I'd ever heard of the then 29 year old Boris Johnson in 1993, and Matt Hancock was still a schoolboy.

Why would the second largest Party propose PR and their own destruction? Why do you care what a party you won't vote for does or does not do?

Why would the second largest Party propose PR and their own destruction?

Exactly. The safe-seat feeding trough is prioritised before democracy, representation and accountability. They are just as corrupt and self-serving as the other establishment shower.

PS The bizarre thing is they actually accept being an impotent “opposition” for 75% of the past 120 years they have existed over actually having a democratic voice in a proportional parliament.

Why would the second largest Party propose PR and their own destruction?
Because it’s the right thing to do?

Do you seriously think the Labour Party would be destroyed by PR? If so, that’s not exactly a ringing endorsement of the party’s long term viability, is it?

advertisement

Back