advertisement

Gas BBQ...

RoyleBlue

pfm Member
...need to replace ours. Use decent charcoal BBQ for proper stuff, but for bog standard quick grilling need a good quality gas one. Thoughts on Weber Q2200?

one for free available here for anyone that can collect. Needs a refurb (new hoses) but works. Outback dual grill.

Have moved to a small weber charcoal. Gas BBQs are a hateful thing

I bought a Gas2Coal unit by Char- Broil 2 years ago. Ruddy brilliant. American brand, but I think mine was built in Europe. 3 gas burners and a side burner for gas grilling. Or you can drop in a charcoal tray. And even use the gas to get it started. Big space, strongly built and good storage space underneath for all your stuff. 2 wheels and handles to move it around. Lid means you have plenty of flexibility on what you do..Beer Can Chicken a favourite here.

Gas BBQs are a hateful thing

Just shows you how taste's vary.
I love our large gas BBQ, it cooks a huge amount of food - right now. No mucking about waiting for charcoal to get hot, you can turn it up or down, no ashes to deal with and a far greater consistency of result.

Was able to get patio gas in the lightweight fibreglass canister the other day from Flogas, just fine. Those lightweight canisters are brilliant btw. For me especially as the my car garage is 100yds down the road from the house.

Yes definitely. Especially some Calor types. It might ease as pubs do not need bottles for outdoor areas.

That could be annoying. we run a couple of 11kg bottles for the BBQ and patio heater. One nearly empty and t'other about three-quarters full.

OTOH the weather is so rubbish that the BBQ may not get a lot of use this summer!

Thoughts on Weber Q2200?

love my Q2200, I honestly don’t bother with the charcoal bbq anymore.. cook
With the lid shut and it bbq cooks brilliantly.

mine has the solid cast grill (it’s a few years old now) the new ones have lighter pressed grills I believe - don’t know if this will make a change to the experience, but as I say, I solely use this now.. in fact I love the Q series so much I’m very tempted by the bigger 3200 now.

I've always used a gas BBQ, much less hastle and no mess.
My father used a "proper" one and liked to do his own mix of charcoal and wood to get an admittedly excellent smoked flavour into the food. He did know what he was doing though, having been raised on a small holding, a duty on which was curing and smoking their own meats.

Have both. The charcoal one doesn’t really get used, it’s great but such a faff. Had a Redfyre for years, brilliant bit of kit. Keep 2 x 13kg propane cylinders, don’t want to run out when the weather suddenly turns good!

Thanks everyone so far. Am going for either Weber Q2200 or Char-Broil Gas2Coal 2.0 210. Just need to see them in the flesh.

If you have the space to accommodate it, consider buying it a Keter (or similar) plastic storage unit/shed. It keeps your investment nice & dry over winter. Front doors, so just wheel it in.

I didn't think there would be that much difference, but everything is better cooked over charcoal on a standard weber and a chimney starter makes it a doddle. A gas grill is handy to do breakfast for 20, but that doesn't happen very often.

Probably late to the discussion but love my Weber Gas grill (Genesis II LX); completely abandoned the old charcal BBQ despite thinking I would keep it for the "real" experience -not used it once since the Weber arrived. Probably use it 4 time a week, rain, wind, snow or shine. Great for all grilling, roasting and does the best steaks and burgers and can even do a close to perfect pizza. Not quite hot enough for the full pizza oven thing but way better than a domestic oven.

Plenty of gas refills available but no bottles anywhere, stupid prices on eBay. I have 2 x 13kg like others have posted in fact I need to get one exchanged as I emptied it last week.

You won't go wrong with a Weber, well made kit.

I've always used a gas BBQ, much less hastle and no mess.
My father used a "proper" one and liked to do his own mix of charcoal and wood to get an admittedly excellent smoked flavour into the food. He did know what he was doing though, having been raised on a small holding, a duty on which was curing and smoking their own meats.
I gather a big bucket of appletree cuttings from the orchard over the road very year to use with our Webers - a whole chicken or some plain pork sausages smoked over green apple wood in a kettle barbecue are truly amazing.

advertisement

Back