advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

I've seen magnetic levitation on platters before but I don't understand how that works without getting cogging as one magnet moves over to the next.

Magnetic platter levitation isn't new, as some might have you believe. I introduced the Platine Verdier into the UK back in 1997 and Jean Verdier made the first production magnetic turntable many years before and everyone else just copied him. Verdier magnetically levitated the whole platter including the bearing. Absolutely no cogging at all as the circular magnets covers almost the whole diameter of the platter...

After looking through the latest whf mag, that £16k is crazy money when a rega planar 10, power supply, cart and dust cover is a mere £4499 and the rega planar 8 is a freebie at £1699.

Yes, all made and developed in house too though I may be mistaken there. Looks far nicer too imho but big, imposing and heavy still rules in the High End.

I still remember one of Projects entry (as in total entry) level TT's measuring as good as some £10k ueber engineered Audiophoolery TT's courtesy of PM's Testbench in HN& RR.

You can't make it up.

I think there will be quite a number of these buyers if it really turns out that the user can do much of the fine-tuning and light setup themselves.

They are different design concepts. The LP12 has proper suspension that will isolate from 3Hz and above, whereas the Naim/Clearaudio is a solid design with minimal decoupling between the stand and the cartridge by comparison. The two will behave very differently especially with regard to footfall and acoustic feedback. The LP12 will be superior in this regard but it has the disadvantage that it requires checking and readjustment during servicing intervals, or when the cartridge is changed or replaced.

Roy Gregory would probably regard it as 'something of a bargain'.

It's a statement product; the statement being 'We saw you coming'.

Ha!

I'm interested in @Alan Sircom thoughts on it.

It's a bit ironic that the Solstice *appears* to me to be pretty reasonably priced for what it is, given that I think Naim's retail prices in the US are absurdly high. Depends on how well it plays music, of course.

Some think it's "a bargain" that's definitely what it isn't!

They will illustrate their claim by pointing you towards turntables that cost fifty grand or more, and possibly make a comparison to how much women spend on shoes.

They will illustrate their claim by pointing you towards turntables that cost fifty grand or more, and possibly make a comparison to how much women spend on shoes.

if you can afford it and want it, then why not?
But it aint a bargain

Don't get me started on shoes :D

There are hundreds of Naim dealerships across the globe. There are over 200 of their top 500-Series dealerships. I would assume most of them will want one on dem.

Yes agree, they will be gone by the end of the day.
Very soon afterwards they will launch a non special edition for future availability

They are different design concepts. The LP12 has proper suspension that will isolate from 3Hz and above, whereas the Naim/Clearaudio is a solid design with minimal decoupling between the stand and the cartridge by comparison. The two will behave very differently especially with regard to footfall and acoustic feedback. The LP12 will be superior in this regard but it has the disadvantage that it requires checking and readjustment during servicing intervals, or when the cartridge is changed or replaced.

I’ve heard this footfall argument many times, so why is my experience in my own listening room exactly the opposite?

The room in question is an upstairs one with floorboards that are a bit springy. Any solid chassis turntables are absolutely fine on top of my rack in there, but my Michell Gyro SE is very footfall sensitive. Equally, when I reviewed the Thorens TD-1601 last year, I pretty much had to hold my breath when it was playing, otherwise the stylus went bouncing merrily across the LP!

Of course I think investment in vinyl in general is good but forgive my cynicism. I recon if the deck was truly competitive they'd put in dealers and let people hear it against the competition before taking orders. As it is, if all of the available decks are pre-sold, pretty much no one has an incentive to say anything against the deck is it is short of brilliant.

I've seen magnetic levitation on platters before but I don't understand how that works without getting cogging as one magnet moves over to the next.
That’s not how OEM works though. Clearaudio will have priced the order by quantity and Naim either order or don’t. Therefore they have to sell it or they’re very exposed for a large amount of stock. I can’t think of another company of Naim’s size that would do it any differently. Embargoed info until the product is launch and stock on its way to the points of sale if not already there on release. That’s the theory anyway although the only companies I know of who routinely got it right were B&W and Sonos. I’m amazed Naim managed to keep it under wraps as long as they did!

After looking through the latest whf mag, that £16k is crazy money when a rega planar 10, power supply, cart and dust cover is a mere £4499 and the rega planar 8 is a freebie at £1699.

How much is a Naiad ?
P10/Aura/Aphelion..may be the Solstice compare price wise ?

I tell you what, everyone must have a whole lot more money than me if they think £16,000 for a turnatable is reasonable.
It’s all relevant, I have a £4k(ish) turntable, that’s a mixture of new and used bits, inclusive of cartridge and phono stage) (all new would be about £5.5k), most non audiophile people would think that’s beyond insane… but I think that’s reasonable because I paid it, I have the disposable income to buy it and I recognise the value in it. I don’t have the disposable income to buy a £16k turntable (not without some serious saving and sacrifice anyway), so for me, £16k isn’t a reasonable amount to spend, but if I earned double what I do now, I could probably buy one without a second thought… although if that were the case, I’d already have bought either a Klimax LP12 or an SME 20/3 long ago, but still…

For me though, the most important thing is that it is, in most basic terms, a Clearaudio turntable, arm and cartridge with a Naim phono stage, and that sounds like a very promising setup to me.

If I were a Naim fanboi it would put me off, if I were spending 16k on a TT I'd want it to be Naim designed and built in-house instead of a farmed out rebadge.

Also, what's betting the Aro has virtually nothing in common with the original other than sharing a name and looking like one if you squint a bit? It will be a Clearaudio arm made to look like an Aro.

It screams nothing of being designed around a specific sound or theory and more about cashing in on a bit of nostalgia whilst hoovering up potentially the last big upgrade cash from the rich silver tops still clinging on.

PS I don't care that it is Naim, I'd have the same opinion whoever made it.

Regarding the plinth construction I have this from a very credible source:

…just to let you know, the motor is resiliently mounted in a rubber enclosure to minimise vibration transfer. Then there is a decoupling system machined into the plinth, which consists of 47 wood layers skinned with metal (aluminium on top; steel underneath) to create an extremely low-resonance structure.

The plinth features an island between the platter bearing and arm to keep these components critically aligned one to the other. A three-arm decoupling system isolates this island from the plinth, blocking any vibration caused by airborne sound or residual motor vibration.

The high-mass platter’s weight is balanced by opposing neodymium ring magnets - effectively, it floats – while the platter bearing system produces negligible mechanical noise. Three adjustable feet combine with the high turntable mass to decouple the turntable plinth from the surface it is sitting on.

Platter rotation is provided by a low-noise, high-torque, brushless 24V DC motor coupled through a neoprene belt. An optical feedback system continuously monitors platter speed, allowing the motor drive electronics to make very small adjustments in seconds - maintaining absolute correct speed and pitch accuracy for the life of the turntable.”

tldr; not a Xerxes.
Neoprene? What, is it 1975 again?

"An optical feedback system continuously monitors platter speed, allowing the motor drive electronics to make very small adjustments in seconds - maintaining absolute correct speed and pitch accuracy for the life of the turntable."
In seconds? Really? No one will hear any pitch inaccuracies after seconds have elapsed! That's just way toooo loooooong.

Perhaps this is a marketing department/ad copy writing thing; if not, it begs the question as to whether or not anyone at Naim knows their analog from a hole in the ground these days?

Magnetic platter levitation isn't new, as some might have you believe. I introduced the Platine Verdier into the UK back in 1997 and Jean Verdier made the first production magnetic turntable many years before and everyone else just copied him. Verdier magnetically levitated the whole platter including the bearing. Absolutely no cogging at all as the circular magnets covers almost the whole diameter of the platter...
Verdier copied the idea from Philips (yes, Philips) who featured opposing ring magnet levitation of a sleeved spindle platter in their GA 202 Electronic.

I’ve heard this footfall argument many times, so why is my experience in my own listening room exactly the opposite?

The room in question is an upstairs one with floorboards that are a bit springy. Any solid chassis turntables are absolutely fine on top of my rack in there, but my Michell Gyro SE is very footfall sensitive. Equally, when I reviewed the Thorens TD-1601 last year, I pretty much had to hold my breath when it was playing, otherwise the stylus went bouncing merrily across the LP!
You need to reduce moment of inertia by siting your spring suspension deck(s) on kids tables.

In seconds? Really? No one will hear any pitch inaccuracies after seconds have elapsed! That's just way toooo loooooong.

I suspect that the speed servo control is not attempting to correct wow and flutter at all, the platter mass addresses that, just long-term speed variations due to mains fluctuation, temperature etc. My guess is it’s more like an automated version of the fine-speed adjust on my TD-124, it isn’t trying to behave like a ‘70s lightweight DD system.

advertisement

Back