advertisement

Dynavector Amps

johnacurtis

pfm Member
Hello
Just wondering about people's impressions of Dynavector amps!
I have a Dynavector HX75, 75w version, newly serviced when I bought it and am very impressed with it. It easily saw off a new NAP250 DR amp that I had previously.
But, would a HX75 100w amp be a noticeable step up? Or, a 1.2 or HX100? Do they all sound the same essentially, or do they have a different character?
I like the very tuneful bass notes and speed.

Had the 75 watt amp. Changed to hx 1.2 mk1. 17 years ago . Fantastic power amp. 4 nap 250s and 3 pairs of 135s have come and gone. The hx 1.2 is in action right now. With cds3 , nac 52 , wb arcs , rel storm. Fabulous.
I rotate hx1.2 with chord and densen power amps . Also great. If buying a 1.2 check service history with Pear Audio UK.

Oh yes . Step up.
My mk1 is well over 20 years old. Serviced 10 + years ago.
Superb amp. Dont see many for sale these days.

As mbu said, definitely a step up. I've only experience with the HX1.2 Mk1 and Mk2. The Mk2 being another significant upgrade (as you'd expect). Never got as far as the HX100 (nor felt the need) but I'd imagine that'd be better still. It was the Dynavectors (pre and power) that weaned me off the Naim juice.

I did try a L200 mk2 pre with naim power, but was a little underwhelmed. I use a Townshend Allegri + pre with my hx75 and sounds really really good but still fancy maybe one day, a step or two up the dynavector power amp tree!

I had an L200 way back. The one with remote. Underwhelming I found. Softish , warmish. Some would like it. Not me. Hx 1.2 sprang to life with an Exposure 21 pre. And a Nac 52 later.

I think with equipment of a certain age, and not knowing the service history, one person’s impression of one example doesn’t tell you much.
If several people agree on something then that is more useful.
Even serviced they may be different unless the same service centre is used, e.g. Naim.

regards

Kevin

John, There is years worth of debate and opinions on these - search function is up at the top right.

I also tried an L200 - Rubbish

The power amps are based on/ grew out of John Bedini's amplifier circuit

I’ve moved from a serviced HX75 (100w) to an unserviced HX1.2 (mk.I) after years if Naim power anp ownership. both Dynavectors are great amps…. HX1.2 I found to be slightly less warm than the HX75 but adds more control, depth and transparency. Neither seems particularly finicky to set up and don’t seem to need fancy cables to perform.

I bought my HX1.2 from German ebay a couple of years ago and have no idea if it’s ever been serviced - it’s probably about time….where would people recommend?

I thought the HX-1.2 mk2 was a very competent and engaging amplifier. I bought mine second-hand about four years ago and sold it recently for a handsome profit. I think I'll keep my Densen B-350s for heavy lifting duties, on occasions when 30WPC is not quite enough.

Ive been through the Dynavector power/pre range from bottom to top and i'd say they all perform excellent. For power amps the HX1.2 is a sweet spot price wise (Mk1), for a pre amp the l200 (mk1)
the extra money needed for the L300 and Hx100 (they were brilliant) but incrementally less value for money.
I had to sell my top of the range when SHMBO wanted double glazing but ive just picked up a Mk2 HX75 toast week so looking forward to that driving my Shahinian Hawks.

anyone know when dynavector might actually update the range?

By the way a second hand HX100 is very rare and likely to cost at least 3 grand . And it’s very heavy

I smiled at this. Glad mine is worth at least three grand but she’s not heavy compared to my McIntosh and the latest Parasound, Pass Labs, Boulder etc.!

Cheers

advertisement

Back