advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Wow ! Looks fabulous and I would imagine it sounds superb.
Looking forward to reading some reviews in the future....It might leave the maxed out LP12 behind !

It looks great but personally, I'm holding out for the Mk II Solstice Elite -

204825541_10222699416486827_5343689297935751437_n.jpg

I remember when an LP12 was £127. Even with inflation...

Yawn.

But actually GBP 127 = 337 USD (in 1972)

If you invested $337 in the S&P 500 at the beginning of 1972, you would have about $49,235.87 at the beginning of 2021, assuming you reinvested all dividends. This is a return on investment of 14,510.05%, or 10.71% per year.
This investment result beats inflation during this period for an inflation-adjusted return of about 2,168.62% cumulatively, or 6.58% per year.

If you saved that 127GBP back then, you could afford 2 Solstice decks today.

And today's Majik seems rather good value then.

Fair play to Naim, something you wouldn't have thought could happen a decade ago. However, its looks are too industrial for me so just as well I haven't got a spare £16K lying around. The Gyrodec is safe for now :D

Clearaudio makes TT's for just about everyone these days. Aesthetically give me a Rega P8/10 any time over this.

I thought the announcement would be something interesting after the build-up.

Still, they will make a tidy profit for not doing much themselves and it will make forum headlines for a few days.

Yawn.

But actually GBP 127 = 337 USD (in 1972)

If you invested $337 in the S&P 500 at the beginning of 1972, you would have about $49,235.87 at the beginning of 2021, assuming you reinvested all dividends. This is a return on investment of 14,510.05%, or 10.71% per year.
This investment result beats inflation during this period for an inflation-adjusted return of about 2,168.62% cumulatively, or 6.58% per year.

If you saved that 127GBP back then, you could afford 2 Solstice decks today.

And today's Majik seems rather good value then.

You mean, I would not have a turntable during those years? That would be cause for a loooooong yawn, lasting nearly 50 years-

Most of us calculate inflation from price levels of common goods. Even most economists, I'm told. But, everyone gets high on his methods...

I think it is a stunning looking package and I can't wait to hear it. The days of tinkering with springs and grommets and arm lead dressing for some will surely be over. As for Clearaudio making it I think outsourcing the deck itself makes perfect sense. I think the Naim HQ must be busting at the seams as it is without a dedicated Deck, Arm and cartridge assembly area. Leave it to the people who already have these facilities already and whose staff have years of experience assembling this type of product.

Clearaudio makes some beautiful turntables, but for me this isn't one of them. Both Naim and Linn have Clearaudio arms though....

There seems to be quite a lot going on around the new ARO arm bias arm lift etc. And if you take a close look at the power supply and phono units new cases .
Cooling fins on the side , new front panel and a different proportion to the existing case , may just be the 500 limited editions or it could be a glimpse of thing to come .

It doesn't make any difference what this monster sounds like, Naim shareholders will have calculated that they'll sell every single one. If the aim wasn't to push the sales, why else would you make it a limited addition? If Clearaudio are building it there is no reason why they can't just make them as an ongoing product.

With a turntable and arm that high, how do you safely lower the stylus? Where do you rest your hand? Or is this just for the very sober and co-ordinated?

Good Morning All,

I must admit I wouldn't have expected Naim to come out with a turntable package.

Without wishing to upset Naim enthusiasts I've never been much impressed with Naim sources previously but, if I get an opportunity to hear one, I will, but equally, I'm not going out of my way to do so.

Regards

Richard

Its a limited run for now
They will sell sooner than your can say bargain for the millionares.
I thought they could ask 40-50% more with no quibble, counting in deck, arm, cartridge psu, phonostage.
Surely after the 500 units are gone, ongoing edition at "revised" price will be released.
How much is a similar spec'ed LP12 ?

The high platter looks odd
The psu/phonostage are certainly nice, probably basis for a new cabinet range of amps, phonostage, psu etc.

I have to admit I’m surprised they went for a real high-mass design. JV wasn’t in that school at all using a Phonosophie P3/Aro/Armageddon. The P3 was in effect a tweaked Thorens 300 series, so a fairly low mass suspended subchassis deck. Pretty much the polar opposite of what this appears in the picture. Based on the WHF “review” it appears to be very much based on a Verdier with a similar high-mass mag-lev platter. I’m assuming there is a sub-platter and belt-drive hidden from view, i.e. it may not actually be anything like as high-mass as it looks. The design element that concerns me is the “compliance built into the ply plinth”. As an ex-Xerxes owner that fills me with blind terror as mass-loaded wood tends to bend rather than bounce given enough time (very little time in the case of the Xerxes). The surprise for me is the price. Assuming it is even half decent £16k is not a lot for a statement record deck that comes with a arm, cartridge and phono stage. For comparison (if it ever appears) SME want £20k for their reworked Garrard 301, M2-12R and plinth combo, i.e. no cart or phono stage (Stereophile). It is a tough market at this price point with a lot of serious technology up for grabs, e.g. the Technics SP1000R, and I’m sure SME, Linn, Well Tempered etc all have decks for sale at that price too.

advertisement

Back