advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Bob Edwards

pfm Member
Give Naim credit - I think it's a gutsy move to introduce a likely very expensive turntable.

And certainly seems to look the business . . .

Built to Naim spec...could be a DD. The height of the platter is unexpected, but who knows.
The biggest surprise to me is the new interpretation of the Aro. SLOTTED HEADSHELL! Ability to easily change the VTA and a modern anti-skate is awesome too. Very nice looking package.
I hope the phono stage goes beyond the Superline...at least we get rid of the plugs. Next 24 hours should shed a lot of light on things!

Screenshot-20210621-123123.jpg

Screenshot-20210621-123140.jpg

“…Naim Audio Solstice Special Edition is limited to 500 units and is available to pre-order now, priced £16,000 (€17,000, $20,000).”

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/na...on-the-historic-companys-first-ever-turntable

Didn’t see any mention of direct drive. Given it is built by Clearaudio, am assuming it is belt drive.
"The Special Edition Collection includes the belt-drive Solstice turntable; the Aro Mk2 tonearm; an Equinox MC cartridge; a Solstice Series Phono Stage; a Solstice Series Power Supply and bespoke accessories set"

If that is the case, £16,000 is a relative bargain and I predict this will sell like hotcakes.

I won't be joining the queue though.

Very nice indeed looking at the pics, excellent choice by Naim to go for a high mass platter (that's why it's so tall @Bob Edwards ) the new tonearm looks excellent too, I doubt if I'd be able to afford it at £16K but it's the first Naim product that I would have any desire for (since the Aro)

"The Special Edition Collection includes the belt-drive Solstice turntable; the Aro Mk2 tonearm; an Equinox MC cartridge; a Solstice Series Phono Stage; a Solstice Series Power Supply and bespoke accessories set"

If that is the case, £16,000 is a relative bargain and I predict this will sell like hotcakes.

I won't be joining the queue though.

I remember when an LP12 was £127. Even with inflation...

Scarcity increases desire. My guess is that this limited edition is intended to generate publicity.

A similar model with a few less bells and whistles could be launched next year, with the arm, cartridge, and phono stage available to buy separately.

What a joke. This may interest, in an ocean of hundreds of turntable options today, maybe 0000000,1% of the worldwide audiophile population. LMAO, it is also MUCH TOO CHEAP.

I would have much preferred some limited edition, gold-plated, diamond-studded, uber-delicate and prone-to-breaking DIN interconnects for about £25,0000.

They would've had me by the cajones!

Clearaudio will build most of it then, another outsourcing job.
"The Solstice Series NVC TT phono stage and NPX TT power supply are hand-crafted in Salisbury, while the NVS TT turntable, Aro arm and Equinox cartridge are exactingly manufactured to Naim’s unique design by Clearaudio."

Evil swines! I mean, no one else outsources, do they? Another reason to despise those Naim people. Personally, I think the rot set in when Naim closed their Salisbury aluminium mines.

advertisement

Back