advertisement

One for the Isobarik Experts

You can also try REW’s ‘room simulation’ feature

Keith - thanks for this suggestion. I'm heading back out to work this afternoon but I can play with this whilst away and see if it comes with up with something I've missed 'on the ground' so to speak.

I find the waterfall plot most useful

David - I'll need to get my head around the waterfall plot bit but as noted above I've got 4 - 5 days to look at this (when not doing what I'm employed to do out there of course).

Regards

Richard

It is now trivially easy to ameliorate room mode bass reinforcements.

Keith - The main issue would appear to be a dip in the response between 120 - 160Hz rather than a reinforcement issue. Following David's suggestion of moving the speakers yesterday did eliminate the 160Hz dip for instance but, IMHO, something was lost on the 'Tune Dem' front.......

I'm also seeing that altering the fixed SO v1 levels of reduction at say 36 or even 60/ 70Hz are causing the 120-160Hz dip to deepen.

There is work to be done yet........

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All (well those still following this thread!),

Been playing with the REW Room Simulator programme as our connection to the FPSO has been delayed until tomorrow morning. I have moved the speakers in and out and moved the listener and come to the conclusion where I am is probably as good as it will get.

Plan B then becomes moving the speakers on to one of the long walls. One of these features the door which is going to limit the excursion of the left hand speaker and the opposite one has an alcove which will similarly limit the travel of the right-hand speaker but this is the best choice. I really don't want speaker cables trailing across the 'feature fireplace' though........ Can't publish any pictures as the internet service here clearly doesn't like Imgur. The simulations look quite good. I'm not sure Neil will want to hear this though????

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

A simple question to any Isobarik owners. What dimensions are your cabinets?

According to the only Linn blurb I can find the size is stated as being 38 x 38 x 76cm.

Given the distance between the front of my speakers and the wall is 47cm and there is a 6cm gap this makes the depth 41cm????? I've asked Kate to break out a tape measure in case I'm losing the plot..........

Regards

Richard

383W x 420D x765H. in mm

Serial nos. 006539 and 006540

PS in my experience siting along the long wall if possible always works better. More of a near field placement removes more of the room imperfections.

Hi,

No room is the same, I have heard Isobariks in the middle of a room, on the long wall, on a short wall, right in the corners and toed in and they all sounded great.

I think people get too hung up on the position and what the room is doing rather than listening to music.

I have heard expert set up systems, some costing many tens of thousands of pounds, using a few software products including the Linn space and they all suck the feeling out of the music, they sound boring and clinical.

Music is meant to be enjoyed, if you try too hard to get every last detail you often find out the system is no longer enjoyable.

Why do you think so many people like Shahinian speakers, a pair of Shahinian Arcs are better than Isobariks, even active Isobariks, why, because they play music, you don't need to worry about position and trying to alter the sound, you plug them in and play music.

I expect many will disagree, every room has issues, however sometimes you just have to live with that to enjoy the music.

Cheers

John

Why do you think so many people like Shahinian speakers, a pair of Shahinian Arcs are better than Isobariks, even active Isobariks, why, because they play music, you don't need to worry about position and trying to alter the sound, you plug them in and play music.

I've only heard Shahinian's once at the WAM show several years ago, although they were in a room far too large imo for them, I did give them a good hard listen and also the Yamaha NS1000M also at the show (set up with lots of care).

Although I was comparing them with my auditory memory and not a proper AB demo, I concluded that active Isobariks were in a league above both these systems on almost all respects.

When a system is really working well, the enjoyment level really does improve, it's important to get the best from a system and speaker positioning is very important IMHO.

Good Afternoon All,

Still waiting for Kate to get back to me but essentially they aren't 38cm and I'm not losing the plot. It would be interesting if somebody with an early pair could pitch in........

Music is meant to be enjoyed, if you try too hard to get every last detail you often find out the system is no longer enjoyable.

John - Fear not Neil has already made this point and it isn't something I intend to lose sight (perhaps hearing???) of. Having gone down the route of creating a dedicated listening space I'd like to know that after a reasonable amount of investigative work I was making the best use of resources.

Regards

Richard

Have you tried setting up the speakers across a corner ? It was by far the best solution for my gear, room and ears.

Have you tried setting up the speakers across a corner ? It was by far the best solution for my gear, room and ears.

That's a left of field idea insofar as in something that wouldn't occur to me - it would fly in the face of established Isobarik locating 'guidance'. Do I have the will to try it? I note John also mentioned it above as well.

I've heard from Neil this evening and seeing the REW Room Simulator traces he agrees that moving the speakers to the long wall appears to be the right thing to do. I get off this here boatie at 0400 On Tuesday and have an evening Zoom call with Neil so I have the day to move things around and use my ears to decide if things are better.

Regards

Richard

That's a left of field idea insofar as in something that wouldn't occur to me - it would fly in the face of established Isobarik locating 'guidance'. Do I have the will to try it? I note John also mentioned it above as well.

I found when having each of my speakers on different walls and a corner in between them that I could move the speakers closer to the walls behind them. It helped with room modes no end in my case and the soundstage between the speakers seemed deeper. I wasn't sure about it at first but with extended listening I realise it is the best solution for me and will be staying.

Be brave, there is nothing to lose trying it :)

Ever get to listen to music?

If this is directed at me then the answer is yes, quite a lot currently. Kate was complaining the other day about being fed up of hearing the same tracks being played............ that's Tune Dem for you.

Some people may well look at this thread and be wondering as to whether it would be worth all the 'faff'. My response is yes it is. The system sounds pretty good to me 'as is' but there is an 'itch' that needs scratching and that is whether it could sound even better at no great financial cost just expenditure of time and, relatively, little money engaging Neil's services.

I do want to see an end to it (I'm not really looking forward to disconnecting almost everything tomorrow to get it shifted.......). I am fortunate in having a room in which I can do, almost, what I want without compromising the position of the speakers which, I know, is not a luxury a lot of people on this forum have.

Regards

Richard

If this is directed at me then the answer is yes, quite a lot currently. Kate was complaining the other day about being fed up of hearing the same tracks being played............ that's Tune Dem for you.

Some people may well look at this thread and be wondering as to whether it would be worth all the 'faff'. My response is yes it is. The system sounds pretty good to me 'as is' but there is an 'itch' that needs scratching and that is whether it could sound even better at no great financial cost just expenditure of time and, relatively, little money engaging Neil's services.

I do want to see an end to it (I'm not really looking forward to disconnecting almost everything tomorrow to get it shifted.......). I am fortunate in having a room in which I can do, almost, what I want without compromising the position of the speakers which, I know, is not a luxury a lot of people on this forum have.

Regards

Richard
I manage to avoid all this & just listen to music but we are all different. I think we all sometimes lose track of what the ‘end goal’ is; I went through a similar period 10 odd years ago but I think I spent far too much time & money chasing minuscule differences.

I no longer even have test tracks, I just listen to whatever I like. Never done a ‘tune dem’ & it seems rather pointless.

Hope you get the result you are after.

advertisement

Back