advertisement

The Euro 2020 (football) thread.

I can't help thinking that Reece James was playing to instructions.
Anyone who watches Chelsea regularly will know that normally his first thought is to get to the dead ball line and whip in crosses for Chelsea's strikers to squander.
I can only remember him crossing the ball once, an absolute beauty, but Kane was so off the pace last night he could barely get his head on it.

I can't help thinking that Reece James was playing to instructions.
Anyone who watches Chelsea regularly will know that normally his first thought is to get to the dead ball line and whip in crosses for Chelsea's strikers to squander.
I can only remember him crossing the ball once, an absolute beauty, but Kane was so off the pace last night he could barely get his head on it.
Be fair, when Kane did eventually move, he did manage to fall over and get a touch on the ball…

Bit of an Allardyce/Bruce type of match last night. Dire. Shaw and Foden played well. Would have kept Foden on. Mount played like Kai the other night. Reece not much better. Phillips had a poor game. Not sure what is going on with Kane - he seems to have suddenly aged and/or maybe doesn't suit the system. Hopefully the system Southgate played last night will be consigned to the history bin. A better team than Scotland would have put the ball in the net in each half. Congrats to Scotland for giving England a hard time though. Came close to winning it. Fine margins.

Great result for Scotland last night, they deserved to win and had the chances. England were very poor and certainly don’t look like contenders. If Scotland play to the levels they did last night, they stand a chance against Croatia. Just got to find that goal.

Looking at the images in the media, it looks like the Scotland fans also had a party day and night on the streets of London!

Be fair, when Kane did eventually move, he did manage to fall over and get a touch on the ball…
I think he'll end up staying at Spurs this summer as Levy will want an absolute fortune for him and I'm not sure there'll be many (if any) takers.
If he's carrying an injury surely they would just come out and say so?

I think he'll end up staying at Spurs this summer as Levy will want an absolute fortune for him and I'm not sure there'll be many (if any) takers.
If he's carrying an injury surely they would just come out and say so?
He seems to spend a good proportion of each season injured. We’ll allow Haaland to join us instead

Usual over reaction from part time football fans trotting out the usual guff every two years.

Sterling didn’t have the best game but he did set up chances & was positive all game. Kane doesn’t look fit but he’s never really had pace to start with. He’s an excellent player though.

I don’t buy it that Scotland were great or deserved to win.

Scotland were by far the better team but your right that they didn’t deserve to win because the players we have in the forward positions aren’t good enough to take their chances when those chances are provided.

Robertson should have scored against the Czech Republic, he’s a left footed player and he should have hit the ball to the keeper’s right hand side and Robertson’s left hand side but instead he blasted the ball towards the keeper’s head.

Two gilt edge chances last night wasted.

The chances are excellent and Scotland are making enough of them but at this level you have to have players who can score with chances like those.

France will win this competition because they really are on a different planet football wise from all of the the other teams.

International football is a funny old game. You have teams like Italy, England, Portugal, France etc, that have the cream of European talent in their ranks, yet teams like Scotland and Wales have players playing for Luton Town, Bristol City etc, yet the 'lesser known players' put in some amazing performances against the 'better' teams. I think it's fabulous, and why i so enjoy the Euros, you never quite know what you'll get in the early stages, with some heroic team performances. England were puzzlingly frustrating, and Scotland gave it their all. However the cherry on the cake will be when the big boys go at it in a straight knockout, and personally, i cannot wait. Oh!, and big-up little Billy, he's a pocket rocket for Chelsea's future.

Scotland were by far the better team but your right that they didn’t deserve to win because the players we have in the forward positions aren’t good enough to take their chances when those chances are provided.

Robertson should have scored against the Czech Republic, he’s a left footed player and he should have hit the ball to the keeper’s right hand side and Robertson’s left hand side but instead he blasted the ball towards the keeper’s head.

Two gilt edge chances last night wasted.

The chances are excellent and Scotland are making enough of them but at this level you have to have players who can score with chances like those.

France will win this competition because they really are on a different planet football wise from all of the the other teams.
England created just as many chances, Scotland hung on for a draw at the end.

Scotland are the Dominic Cummings of football.
Never going to achieve anything themselves but have a great time disrupting higher ranked teams.

Even the part time football fans can see that Scotland had the Man of the Match on their side, which has to say something about the relative performances

We have too many overrated players.
They just aren’t world class.
I fancy the Italians on form thus far through the competition.

Scotland missed a great opportunity last night to complete a bizarre hat trick.
Their previous only two victories in the Euros were in 1992 v CIS and 1996 v Switzerland.
Both victories were on June 18th…

time for Southgate to go - he doesnt appear to have a plan (other than as we did at school - pick the best 11 players) or any tactics.

I suggest a shortlist of:

roy keane
peter crouch
frank lampard
Gazza
Jürgen Klinsmann
Harry Rednapp
sam allardyce (again?)
Eddie Howe
Ossie Ardiles

England should be ok once/if they ditch Kane. He's way off the pace I'm afraid to say and the tictacs are obviously failing.

Gareth Southgate is the perfect manager for England, safe pair of hands for a team that never wins anything. We’ve tried all the big names & none could get a tune out of the National side consistently.

advertisement

Back