advertisement

How Much Have You Spent On Room Treatment?

How Much Have You Spent On Room Treatment?

• 0 - £250

Votes: 72 66.1%
  • £250 - £500

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • £501 — £1,000

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • £1,001 - £2,000

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • £2,001 - £5,000

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • £5,001 - £10,000

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • > £10,000

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
Do rug, canvas paintings, plants and curtains count? I guess not.

As far as I’m concerned yes, very much so. I’ve understood the old-school studio ‘live end/dead end’ for most of my hi-fi life, i.e. for every opposing pair of surfaces in a room at least one should be an absorber or diffuser. This obviously includes the floor/ceiling, so I always have a good thick carpet, underlay, rug etc. Thankfully records, CDs and books are superb at breaking a room up, and as stated up thread I have loads of those! I also find certain room shapes work well for me and others do not. I like a rectangular room and the system on the ‘wide’ wall. I’d never live anywhere with an ‘L-shaped’ or two rooms knocked through, and I’d never want a system firing down the long dimension. This late in the day I have a very good idea on walking into a room if I can get it to work for what I want or not, and I just don’t rent or buy anywhere that doesn’t look viable. I far prefer to just get it right at the beginning rather than attempting to fix an acoustic mess later. It is a big part of a house viewing for me and always has been as I’ve been an audiophile long before a home renter/buyer.

Over £4,000 spent on professional room treatment and worth every penny.

Books , records , et , etc , all help but give very unpredictable and poor results . But i guess it all depends on what you are looking for and whether you can actually treat the room correctly.

To be done properly and to give good results you have to use the correct type of treatment , in the right quantity and in the correct position. Its no good just sticking a few panels up and hoping for the best.

Nothing on professional acoustic treatments, but quite a bit on a rug, sofas, armchair and a couple of tapestries, not to mention the records, hifi tables and shelving and the room itself:confused:

DSP is independent of the music source surely??

Don’t call me Shirley.

:)

I guess DSP is some electronic jiggery pokery that I would have to put in between the record deck and the amp? Or twixt c.d. player and amplifier?

Fairly sure it involves something I ain’t got.

Nothing. I have some carpet on side wall reflection points, had a couple of rolled up duvets in the corners behind the speakers for a while and nearly bought some used panels and bass traps on here, but that didn't happen. Now the duvets are at the other end of the room and I prefer the sound, so it was probably for the best that I didn't buy them as I think it may have been too much.

My room is only 12' x 8' with all a couple of racks holding two systems worth of stuff minus speakers, an RCM, a few shelves, a dartboard, full bookcase, 4 x 4 Ikea rack of albums, a few boxes of stuff, a reclining chair and a teetering pile of randomness in a corner behind the door. There's really not much free wall or floor space left.

Learning about speaker placement and that when listening nearfield the room effects are diminished helped me arrange a setup where it works well, but I would still like to try some treatment at some point, out of curiousity as much as anything else.

Do you mean recording spaces or control rooms?
Recording spaces? What those are depends on what is being recorded. I am talking about where the engineers mix the sound that comes from whatever the output is from a large space for ensemble pieces or the various booths in which musicians play their bit of a pop or rock track.

Nowt. I think my other half has been very tolerant over the years. Sticking lumps of foam and stuff all over the place might be pushing things a bit ;) It's not one of those things that's really bothered me tbh.

This late in the day I have a very good idea on walking into a room if I can get it to work for what I want or not, and I just don’t rent or buy anywhere that doesn’t look viable. I far prefer to just get it right at the beginning rather than attempting to fix an acoustic mess later. It is a big part of a house viewing for me and always has been as I’ve been an audiophile long before a home renter/buyer.

That's good to know. This suggests that you surely take your hifi very seriously. I would agree with most of the points that you brought up. Similarly I have a thick rug specifically selected to have as much absorption as possible for the audio system. I also have furniture and sofa on both side walls which surely sound a whole lot better than bare walls. I know since I tried.

I also agree that an L-shaped room is bad for audio. Ironically I lived with one for about 8 years before I moved the whole system to another much larger room which wasn't ideal but sounded better. The one aspect of my system which didn't fall within your ideals is with placement of speakers. I've never had the speakers in the main system firing across the shorter dimension as they are usually on the short wall firing across the length of the room. Circumstances do not permit the speakers to be placed along the longer length of the room. My Harbeth SHL5 and Marten Duke 2 require a clear space of approximately 700mm from the wall behind to sound good, so that pretty much rules out placement on the long wall since the shorter dimension is only 3.2m. Also, I prefer to separate the hifi from the TV mainly for sound quality hence the TV is on the other side of the room.

advertisement

Back