advertisement

How Much Have You Spent On Room Treatment?

How Much Have You Spent On Room Treatment?

• 0 - £250

Votes: 72 66.1%
  • £250 - £500

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • £501 — £1,000

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • £1,001 - £2,000

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • £2,001 - £5,000

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • £5,001 - £10,000

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • > £10,000

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
it is possible as the room he used the treatments in was a dedicated AV room, so probably quite empty, this room (his living room) the same as most are always full of stuff and soft furnishings, so room treatment is far less necessary.. imo.

I’ve spent nowt, but do have a huge 4.5m L sofa and rugs on the floor and walls :)
Yes, correct. It was an AV room with a 100" projector. Bare walls everywhere hence some diffusion was necessary.

Current system in furnished room sounds better than the previous system with professional acoustic treatments. As I have mentioned earlier, room furnishings are also another form treatment. The sofa, rack and other furniture in the listening room.

The dedicated room which was acoustically treated didn't have any serious acoustic issues. The treatments were basic diffusion and absorption to the walls and minor bass trapping.

It is possible that a system in a furnished room sounds better than another system in a treated room.
No, it is not. You are happy with your system and like the sound in your living room more, but there is absolutely no objective reason why a room without acoustic treatment (absorber, diffusors, bass-traps, Helmholtzresonators, plate-swingers) would sound better then a proper treated room.

Everyone who says something different is IMO fooling hisself and denying the laws of physic.

Only if the room before was crap, again I'm talking about objective things not what someone likes personally more.

Last edited:
£0 on room treatment. I’m unconvinced by DSP too as I prefer the sound from vinyl, or digital with DSP off. The room is stuffed full of LPs and books so that probably helps. I did use a borrowed set of Kralk laser thingos to help positioning my speakers though.

Can't remember the exact cost but I have 8x GIK TriTraps, 4x GIK 244 panels and 2x GIK Monsters (the Monsters aren't currently being used) which I think cost in the region of £1200 all in. I've also spent around an additional £50 on earthwool to make my own DIY corner traps to put above and below the GIK TriTraps (my room is 10.5ft high and two stacked GIK traps are only 8ft high).

I wouldn't consider my room the 'finished article' but these treatments have brought a significant improvement. However, I'd only be prepared to add more if I knew exactly what effect they'd have, and a 'try before you buy' approach isn't particular suited to cumbersome products which are expensive to ship and easily damaged in transit.

Don't get me wrong, an empty room is the worst case, so furniture, rugs, plants etc. are better than nothing but the right absorbers/bass traps/diffusors are always much better and way more effective.

Nowt. I have a small, awkward loft space prone to boom, even stuffed with records, books, a rug, chair and beloved's art stuff, canvases, etc. I thought about room treatment but just couldn't be arsed. This 'hobby' gets bad enough as it is, and I have a finite time on this planet. So I took a punt on a pair of sealed box speakers: Spendor S3/5R2s. Result: no more bass boom.

Nowt. No room correction either and I would never use such a thing anyway. The place is a veritable obstacle course of hi hi gear, records, CD's, musical instruments, test gear, more hi fi gear, books, magazines etc etc. One half of sofa currently has a couple of items of Bruel & kjaer test gear plus the demo phono stage in its box on it with a bass guitar on top of that lot and a coat and a holdall on top of that.... pretty par for the course chez Jez.

Nowt. No room correction either and I would never use such a thing anyway. The place is a veritable obstacle course of hi hi gear, records, CD's, musical instruments, test gear, more hi fi gear, books, magazines etc etc. One half of sofa currently has a couple of items of Bruel & kjaer test gear plus the demo phono stage in its box on it with a bass guitar on top of that lot and a coat and a holdall on top of that.... pretty par for the course chez Jez.

But have you taken the time out of your busy schedule to study thoroughly and understand fully the topics of room acoustics and treatment and to fully understand why professionals would never work in a space without treatment? Or are you just working from your own opinions as informed by reading hi-fi forums and magazines in order to assert stridently that your untidiness suffices?

Nothing. One wall is lined with books, which probably helps with something or other, but they'd be there anyway.

room has solid stone walls and Victorian concrete floor, both of which colour sound.
2xgik tri traps on front, 2 monster on rear, side diffusers, all cds and records in hallway. I’ve got a panel for ceiling not placed yet.
If it’s good enuf for abbey road then won’t do me any harm.
I can see why flat earthers don’t like cables, but considering cost getting room right is a no brainer.

£8,293,299.56

I claim my Hero Award.

Probably, £0 directly. The rug was more to defend downstairs from the thunder.

Sounds like a right palace.

Approaching £1k, I’d guess. I moved my gear into a small room that I could dedicate for music/Hifi.
The main issue was a nasty flutter echo, as opposed to the bass boom I assumed it would be.
So a mixture of absorption & diffusion panels covering the 1st & 2nd reflection points & a bit of bass trapping reduction in the rear corners. Floor is carpeted, but the ceilings are not treated. All panels from GIK.
For my tastes, you can go too far with treatment & end up with a room which is too dead, even if it’s theoretically correct. I still like a bit of life in the room.
A bigger room would be great but what I’ve got works for me.

Given that every room in the house would have curtains, soft furnishings, books, carpets and everything else a house has even in the absence of hi-fi - then £0 on "room treatment".

In terms of things placed in the room deliberately which affect the sound, or have an effect, I have included the rug. Easily the biggest outlay, but The Wife got it, so :).

Other than that, no room measurement apart from my ears.
All corners have something in them that breakup/disturb and ? absorb the sound. All walls have hanging fabric on them, in one fashion and another.
Large-ish voluminous paper ceiling lampshade.
We have floorboards with a 3’ void underneath, so not ideal.
All speakers and equipment are supposedly de-coupled from whatever they sit on, rather than sorbothane-style attached to whatever they sit on. Including the speakers, which sit on a sandwich of granite, felt and cork (sounds a bit odd, works very well.) That experiment cost about £50, and is one of the most profound differences I have achieved.
The room has shelves of records, c.d’s and boxes of records all over the place.

I do not have a coffee table, I like a clear path in that triangle twixt the speakers and my ears, so the floor is clear.

(edit: also the floor is clear so that I don’t trip over, another reason not to have a coffee table, as I would walk into it.)

I don’t use anything other than records and c.d’s, so don’t have call for the dsp thingy.

But have you taken the time out of your busy schedule to study thoroughly and understand fully the topics of room acoustics and treatment and to fully understand why professionals would never work in a space without treatment? Or are you just working from your own opinions as informed by reading hi-fi forums and magazines in order to assert stridently that your untidiness suffices?
Have you seen how few professional recording studios have "room treatment"?

Have a couple of 100 in diy panels on first reflection points with some basstraps. Also use DSP below 250hz. My cables are cheap(diy) too. I am a heathen in audiophile circles.

advertisement

Back