advertisement

Back on the old Linn Karousel...

Mr Pig, what are you trying to achieve? because clearly this endeavour has absolutely nothing to do with trying to achieve a decent sounding record player..

That’s interesting as you went on for years telling everyone how awful the Cirkus bearing and it’s accompany sub-chassis was.

Yes, I wasn't a fan. But that's what the deck comes with so I'm going to use it for now and take it from there. Need a reference point, a working deck, and I'll take it from there. I'm open to all possibilities including selling the whole thing.

I don't want a carbon copy of my last deck, I wasn't satisfied with it so I don't see the point of that. I want enough of it to be different that I have some new perspectives. One reason I'm considering a Lingo. I've heard one and didn't like it but I've never actually had one at home.

Not particularly looking forward to this. LP12s are a pain in the arse! I can see a Planar 3 in my future one day ;0)

Does the Karousel go in the same direction as the Cirkus? A poster above suggested it doesn't? That is has more flow than the Cirkus?

I honestly can't understand why you are bothering to buy an LP12 if you despise them so much; if you want a Rega Planar 3, why not get one now & just enjoy playing music again?

Its about being right, at some point in the future he’ll be able to say “I’ve tried the LP12 twice, and both times it didn’t work “

Giving this man advice is an exercise in futility.

I honestly can't understand why you are bothering to buy an LP12 if you despise them so much; if you want a Rega Planar 3, why not get one now & just enjoy playing music again?

I might end up doing that but the LP12 has provided a connection with the artists that no other source has matched. Other aspects of it's performance, and ownership experience, are less desirable and cost of parts is ridiculous but I want to give it another try. See if I can find a configuration that I can live with.

If not then yes, might be a Planer 3.

I presume you've tried decks other than Linn and Rega, but just have a particular love/hate thing with these two designs that work for you...?

Anyway, in case you haven't seen it, Lintone have the top Rega arms at a slight seconds discount at the moment:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18488453...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38421851...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Maybe makes more sense than taking the arm off the RP10: can't see the remains of the deck being worth very much.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Its about being right, at some point in the future he’ll be able to say “I’ve tried the LP12 twice, and both times it didn’t work “

Giving this man advice is an exercise in futility.
Thanks for the steer, I hadn’t come across him before. As Grytpype used to say, ‘Ah, a Charlie!’

This is a massive fools errand, what’s the point in having some kind of chimera LP12, either go all in or try another TT. Once this monstrosity as been concocted it will all be Linn’s fault when it doesn’t work.

I fail to understand why at the very least you wouldn’t start with a stock magic/Karousel & then go forth.

I’ve been enjoying my, previously thought of, crap LP12/Lingo2/Ekos/cirkus for many years so what do I know?

When I saw the thread title and saw the author I had to double-take....'no, could it be?' Mr. Pig building an LP12?

This is the most surprising thread of the year so far.

The thread seems to have taken a bit of a turn over the past page but having seen it yesterday I honestly logged in today to suggest you don't bother with any of this Mr Pig. I don't know you at all (and please don't take offence) but I have seen your comments on quite a few LP12 threads (I have an LP12 so tend to look at the threads) and (without paying too much attention) I have gained the impression you really don't have much time Linn and in particular that deck. I remember being hugely satisfied with my system about 30 years ago (cost about £500) and even though I'm not much of a box swapper, bang for buck I certainly have never had a better one, though I've tried a few things since.

I have to say I think this is all going to end in disappointment and it'll probably take you a lot of effort, time and switching of LP12 components in and out, before you admit you can't quite find that sound you are looking for, and give up.

I'd say take a short cut. Trust your initial judgement, and try something else which isn't an LP12. Vertere? Gyrodeck? Clearaudio? Or just stick with what you've got. In many ways, perhaps many of us (me included) might have done the latter years ago.

This is a massive fools errand, what’s the point in having some kind of chimera LP12, either go all in or try another TT. Once this monstrosity as been concocted it will all be Linn’s fault when it doesn’t work.

I fail to understand why at the very least you wouldn’t start with a stock magic/Karousel & then go forth.

I’ve been enjoying my, previously thought of, crap LP12/Lingo2/Ekos/cirkus for many years so what do I know?

If my memory serves me well it's not so long ago you were contemplating moving from the Linn to possibly something from Rega.

Anyways credit to Colin and hoping things end well on his endeavour. Personally I would have stayed with the RP10, renewed the drive belts with the latest EBLT Reference and added an Ania Pro.

If my memory serves me well it's not so long ago you were contemplating moving from the Linn to possibly something from Rega.

Anyways credit to Colin and hoping things end well on his endeavour. Personally I would have stayed with the RP10, renewed the drive belts with the latest EBLT Reference and added an Ania Pro.
Correct.

I decided against it as I really like the look & feel of the LP12. I never contemplated some amalgamation of the two though so my observations are entirely consistent.

Vinyl is not that important to me anymore, no desire to get sucked down a rabbit hole when I get consistent results from CD.

For all his bashing of LP12s he clearly has a soft spot for them.

I think you're trying to build something that probably doesn't exist, but have fun with it!

Personally I would have stayed with the RP10, renewed the drive belts with the latest EBLT Reference and added an Ania Pro.

The deck was sent down to Rega in December for a full service and new belts were fitted. I was going to try the Ania Pro but I don't want to spend £750 to find it's still not right. I've tried a lot of carts on the deck but the essential nature of the sound remains. Time to draw a line under it and move on.

But I don't really want to spend ages discussing why I'm doing what I'm doing. I have my reasons. What I'm looking for are opinions on the relative sonic differences between the different PSU and sub chassis options?

Over the years I have heard a lot of turntables but I've not heard any that I felt communicated music like the LP12. I hoped the Rega would, and in many ways it is outstanding, but there is something missing and I miss it.

I went from pre cirkus to karousel with a Majik sub chassis.The old warmth mid bass hump was gone but it impaired a real tightening up of the bass.It was like a diffearant deck very like the original Roksan Xerxes I had years and years ago.After a while I soon got used to the new clarity that the Karousel retrives in spades.The level of clarity is astonishing and has given me more appreciation of my vinyl.
An interesting thought Mr Pig - How about a Rega RB 3000 arm on your LP12 would be interesting and I am sure it would be on par with Ekos SE...just a thought.
As I said in an earlier post upgrading to a Lingo 4 myself but even with the Majik powersupply its the best sounding LP12 I have had over the years.( Akito AT 95 ML ) Including LP12 vahalla - Ittok - Karma.
Hana ML arriving soon so its really going to where I want my LP12 to be.
Never heard a P10 so can't add anything.

advertisement

Back