advertisement

Doorbell Cameras

Ring doorbell linked to their App on phones/tablets and Echo Shows. Can be tricky to setup but so can any of them, helped clients setup alternatives like ARLO/Others/Rebranded Chinese cams from Amazon.

The new Ring stuff with removable batteries is more convenient than Gen1 taking the entire thing indoors to charge, we have spare battery so no downtime, same battery fits their security cameras.

We have ring I am tempted by unifi as I have the full system already.
Didn't know Unifi did a doorbell cam, need new CCTV/Doorbell for the workshop/offices which already has Unifi Switches/Dishes and was gonna go with Ring - what model number is the Unifi you're looking at?

Well the problem is the doorbell has been out a year under the protect banner (they have access which is a different thing) but I have no seen them readily available over here. Keep an eye on the ubiquti store. 200 hundy though.

I seem to remember Which? had some pretty downbeat comments about unknown chinese brands and security issues. I think they preferred the big name Ring with appropriate password protocols.

I have a Ring - works well - but the wifi to the front door is a bit of a stretch and makes the response slow when trying to talk with delivery people. They seem to understand what I am saying though. Of course the dogs soon learn the sounds and go nuts... hilarious sometimes when they are fooled by the TV adverts! After a while you get bored of looking at the camera everytime someone walks past - my entrance alley is shared with a neighbour - so get pinged everytime they go to their bins or garden gate. So you end up switching off the notifications for those events. Note that Ring only really works well if you pay up for the subscription to save data, hence data security is a must. Since Amazon is giant in the world of web storage (Amazon Web Services is one of the biggest in the world), I would expect them to be as good as anyone could reasonably hope for.

Mind you - when my neighbour became famous for a while he was looking at a security system and was told in no uncertain terms that a Web bought system like Ring would be entirely inadequate. Any proposed system would have impacted big time on us, as we share parts of the building and did not want extra security getting in the way of our daily lives. Since he is no longer quite so famous the idea has been dropped.

I love the way that the Ring camera can be set up in various directions and sensitivities to focus and alert only on the parts or size objects that you want. Not sure if other cheap units have the facility. Ring also can be set to different settings if you are 'Home' or 'Away' which can be useful.
We have noticed that one of our cats has a regular patrol route at about 2:30am!

I was thinking about getting a ring because the existing 50 year old doorbell has been built over and I CBA moving it. A wireless camera used for when someone is at the door would be great as oft times the letterbox isn't loud enough to let us know in the house that someone is at the door.

The Ring product looks the best fit. Been meaning to get it and I'm thinking about getting the Solar Charger to go with it. However, that Vanbar looks good because it has a spare rechargeable battery so might get it myself and save a few quid.

Amazon Prime day is coming up might be Ring stuff discounted. A battery is £20 rrp.

We have ring spotlights our the back and a ring doorbell - once you set up the alerts the battery use is minimal - we have a spare battery and charge on rotation. I think our doorbell one lasts 6 weeks. Spotlight one takes two batteries and you get an alert as to when to change. I am quite impressed by their software solution.

I would recommend buying the plugin chime as well.

My daughter is European comms boss for Ring. They offer great products with some great features via the app. I would also highly recommend their home alarm system. Their backup service is quite remarkable with thousands employed, albeit in the US. And no, they don’t spy on your data, nor have they had any security breaches of their servers, contrary to some reports last year.

I would also highly recommend their home alarm system

i would also - it is a shame their PIRs are not as pet proof as they claim, and it is also a shame they dont have a wider range of sensors (vibration - percusssion) but we have moved over all our alarm to Ring assisted monitoring.

I wired ours in to power so that’s cool also I got it at a car booty for a tenner which was really cool

main downside is it is a camera at the end of the day. It’s under an over hang and when the sun is out all you see is a sillohette of who ever is ringing

We have had a sign on our front door that states, ‘Please Knock Hard, Bell Not Working’
The sign has been up for years.

The doorbell requires batteries or something. I keep forgetting about it.

i would also - it is a shame their PIRs are not as pet proof as they claim, and it is also a shame they dont have a wider range of sensors (vibration - percusssion) but we have moved over all our alarm to Ring assisted monitoring.
I have no problem with the pet proofing, until the cat goes upstairs. That fools the sensor into thinking it’s taller than it is. I’ll speak to my Ring girl about the vibration/ percussion comment.

advertisement

Back