advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are still very small numbers although there is a time lag. The headline is a single dose reduces the risk of hospitalisation by 75%. The flip side to that is 25% is an awful lot of people if case numbers are simply allowed to keep growing - 71% increase last week.

They are still very small numbers although there is a time lag. The headline is a single dose reduces the risk of hospitalisation by 75%. The flip side to that is 25% is an awful lot of people if case numbers are simply allowed to keep growing - 71% increase last week.

Spot on….

That 36% figure is a bit alarming for those of us who've had 2 doses

I wish there was more data, e.g. the age-profile, date of last vaccination etc. Is this just the very, very old not being able to fight-off a minor covid infection, or is it an indicator that the second dose only lasts for a specific timeframe which is now ending for many who were vaccinated early on? The figures alone don’t give us enough to work on, we need context too.

I wish there was more data, e.g. the age-profile, date of last vaccination etc. Is this just the very, very old not being able to fight-off a minor covid infection, or is it an indicator that the second dose only lasts for a specific timeframe which is now ending for many who were vaccinated early on? The figures alone don’t give us enough to work on, we need context too.

There was some very early indication 2 weeks ago of waning added to the PHE risk assessment. I've not heard anything else said about that.

A 500% higher incidence (ok - these are smallish numbers) in the (older) 2x vaccinated group vs the (younger) unvaccinated group cannot possibly be due to just the ‘very vulnerable’….
Not doubting you, but I don't quite follow. What's the %500? I haven't seen the age break down.

Looking at the age breakdown at the bottom of the TT front page it seems the growth in cases is largely amongst the 15-29 age group.

Good news if that just reflects the fact that they're less likely to have had the jab.

Looking at the age breakdown at the bottom of the TT front page it seems the growth in cases is largely amongst the 15-29 age group.

Good news if that just reflects the fact that they're less likely to have had the jab.

The trouble is, taking the population as a whole rather than adults alone, only 50% are double vaccinated. It's a huge pool.

The trouble is, taking the population as a whole rather than adults alone, only 50% are double vaccinated. It's a huge pool.

Absolutely - only 35% in London! Hopefully a huge less vulnerable pool though and vaccinations are now being made available to a far wider age group.

Absolutely - only 35% in London! Hopefully a huge less vulnerable pool though and vaccinations are now being made available to a far wider age group.

That's a worrying figure. There's also quite a large disparity by race. The summary on the indie sage feed is well worth a watch

The trouble is

1. The pool will get ill, some of them may need to be admitted to hospital. But they're young mostly, so maybe the health system can take this on the chin.

2. The pool will breed variants with unknown properties. With the number of cases so high, can these be detected and controlled?

Not doubting you, but I don't quite follow. What's the %500? I haven't seen the age break down.

It's the sort of analysis I would have been shot for in my job, but assuming that all of those who died were from the hospitalised cohort, 34 of the 527 unvaccinated patients died (say 6%) whereas 26 of the 84 double-vaccinated died (say 30%). Small numbers, and rushed back-of-an-envelope guessing, but it doesn't support an assertion that only the very vulnerable double-vaccinated are at risk. Happy to be corrected if I've messed up the numbers in my hurry...

The trouble is

1. The pool will get ill, some of them may need to be admitted to hospital. But they're young mostly, so maybe the health system can take this on the chin.

2. The pool will breed variants with unknown properties. With the number of cases so high, can these be detected and controlled?

That's beginning to sound like a survival of the fittest argument.

The young are unlikely to be vaccinated, more likely to mingle with other unvaccinated people but also, probably, not as likely to be ill enough to be admitted to hospital. The data generally is not that robust as this is very new disease & the sample sizes in this wave are quite small (which is a good thing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back