advertisement

Arlene Foster hanging by a thread.

When I was young 'poot' became family slang for a fart. It derived from Steve Bell's 'If' cartoons in the Grauniad which, whenever Sellafield was depicted, showed it with puffs of emissions from various cracks and orifices, alongside the legend 'poot!'

Before something comes to an end it becomes a farce of itself and this is a perfect example of that playing out. Fingers crossed Brexit is on the same rail track.

When I was young 'poot' became family slang for a fart. It derived from Steve Bell's 'If' cartoons in the Grauniad which, whenever Sellafield was depicted, showed it with puffs of emissions from various cracks and orifices, alongside the legend 'poot!'
I remember it as an onomatopoeia in the Freak Brothers comics- one episode when they went down to Mexico, where it was a sentinel warning of explosive Montezuma’s revenge

Edwin Poots, including his name is like an invention of the Monty python team, in a sketch trying to illustrate the madness of it all.
For those sufficiently ancient to remember Lonnie Donegan:

Pooting gives you agony

Pooting makes you smile

Have our cake and eat it is Edwin’s chosen style

Put an end to Protocol and union of our isle

Rally all Creationists, exclude Shinners vile.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57443478

DUP MP Ian Paisley joined Sir Van Morrison in chanting that Northern Ireland's Health Minister Robin Swann "is very dangerous" at a cancelled concert in Belfast.

It came after four gigs by Sir Van at the Europa Hotel were cancelled at the last moment on Thursday.

[...]

Author Kevin Toolis, who was at the dinner, described the events as "quite strange".

"I think the audience were a bit nervous, people didn't chant," he said.

Mr Toolis said that while Mr Swann may be many things, "dangerous is not a word most people would associate with him".

In video of the event, seen by BBC News NI, Sir Van can be seen inviting North Antrim MP Ian Paisley onto the stage, who then joined him in the chant: "Robin Swann is very dangerous."

DUP MP Ian Paisley joined Sir Van Morrison in chanting that Northern Ireland's Health Minister Robin Swann "is very dangerous" at a cancelled concert in Belfast.

It came after four gigs by Sir Van at the Europa Hotel were cancelled at the last moment on Thursday.

[...]

Author Kevin Toolis, who was at the dinner, described the events as "quite strange".

Mr Toolis said that while Mr Swann may be many things, "dangerous is not a word most people would associate with him".

In video of the event, seen by BBC News NI, Sir Van can be seen inviting North Antrim MP Ian Paisley onto the stage, who then joined him in the chant: "Robin Swann is very dangerous."

Morrison is a belligerent old twat who has a bit of a gripe with Swann apparently after a Rolling Stone article a few months back.
Paisley is also a twat but he knows exactly what he's at.

[...]

“Robert Swann is very dangerous”- maybe it was a conceptual art piece like Gilbert & George’s “Gordon’s Makes Us Drunk”

Last edited:
Not great for one of the main Unionist parties to be in disarray and leaderless - with potential trouble from some of the more militant entities brewing on the streets.
Caution and cool heads at this stage would be a hell of a lot more desirable than internal mayhem within the DUP ranks methinks - for all our sakes.

LOLtastic. I hate to think what is waiting in the wings.
Tony, LOL is the Northern Irish abbreviation for "Loyal Orange Lodge" - see, for example, this typical banner:

1111111111.jpg

so your post is somewhat ironic! Believe me, those people on the banner are not laughing...

P.S. Note the top two pictures, references to the 36th (Ulster) Division on the Somme and the Ulster Tower, built on the Schwaben Redoubt on the Somme battlefield, the objective of the 36th on that terrible 1st July 1916:

http://www.sommeassociation.com/visit/ulster-memorial-tower

The 36th was largely formed from the original UVF, a private army whose object was, if necessary, to fight the British to remain British. Progression into a full-scale civil war was stopped by an obliging Bosnian student called Gavrilo Princip...

LOL is the Northern Irish abbreviation for "Loyal Orange Lodge"

Ugh! I really had enough of them in Liverpool. I lived on one of their parade routes for a few years (right in the heart of the city centre). They seemed a right bunch of drunks to me. I felt sorry for the children they dressed-up in bizarre clothing and paraded in front of them. Something quite disturbing about the whole thing.

advertisement

Back