advertisement

Complete moron on a bike

Funny you mention that, I caught up with old friends now living in a village just outside Dover who tell me driving is dreadful, no-one indicates and they emphasised no-one plus the lorries coming off the boats simply pull out onto roundabouts without a care towards those already on it. They said it’s probably the worst aspect of living in the area.

Wouldn't it be great if all the cyclists who talk about how great Amsterdam is for cycling actually moved there, and we wouldn't have to listen to them say "in Amsterdam they have ......etc,etc"

It was very well packed and protected though

NIFpSpu.jpg
I'd leave the padding in place;-)

Wouldn't it be great if all the cyclists who talk about how great Amsterdam is for cycling actually moved there, and we wouldn't have to listen to them say "in Amsterdam they have ......etc,etc"
What's wrong with Beijing? They have a big bike presence there too!

Having been a pedestrian, driver and cyclist, it is only as a cyclist that I get direct intimidation and abuse from other road users, all of whom are drivers.

Not all drivers are daily mail reading, Clarkson worshipping reactionaries with anger management issues, but it is inevitable that some of them will be. Fortunately, they seem to be few and far between.

Last edited:
Cyclists are allowed under the Highway Code to ride two abreast, it is often safer.

Cars have compulsory insurance due to the potential harm & damage they cause in the huge number of accidents they are involved in & cause. This does not apply to cyclists, the irony being that if more cyclists do have insurance then the humble motorist will see his/her premiums rocket.

As ever there is false equivalence between cars being delayed by 10-15 seconds & putting actual human beings at risk. Strangely you rarely, if ever, see motorists close pass horse riders, blare their horns or shout aggressively at them.

There is a difference between being a cyclist & just a person on a bike messing about.

Last weekend I was close passed & beeped aggressively by a car travelling through the Chatsworth estate. This just sums up the mentality; said driver could have just used the A6 if he was in a hurry.

The most negligent cyclist will cause less damage than the most careful motorist.

Hope I have covered everything. I also drive a BMW.
I’m all of the above and agree 100% with you.
Also riding two abreast in a larger group halves the distance to overtake..

Don't waste your breath responding. There's always someone who can't judge the situation based on what someone says happened. Annoying, but predictable.
What was said though? Not much.

He was already on the roundabout so we know the driver was in the right regarding the Highway Code, QED. That no unnecessary danger was caused by the driver: in my view NOT QED from the few details.

Because of the stated reaction of the cyclist:
  • I infer the driver was aware of the cyclist's existence, at the earlier moment the driver decided to enter the roundabout
  • I infer the cyclist was approaching from the driver's right (why would a cyclist complain after not giving way to a car on their right?)
Because a near-collision occured at all:
  • I infer the cyclist was going fast
  • I infer it was a small roundabout
I filled in the blanks, because the post was mostly blanks.

If I'm wrong about the above, I would be forced to conclude the cyclist was mentally ill, because I don't think them being just an aggressive cyclist would explain that reaction. And then I will for sure apologise sincerely and immediately to all here (you have my word) and we can move on, me with my tail between my legs not for the first time and probably not the last!

If I'm right about these, then we discuss what may be sensible or cause danger. Which I see as distinct from the Highway Code.

Last edited:
Yes, I could see him to my right as I joined the roundabout. There was nobody else on the roundabout at the time I crossed the Give-Way lines.
No need to need to infer the cyclist was going fast because I said so previously
It was a small roundabout but the rules are the same.

He wasn't in danger. He claimed he was going "straight on" and he had right of way.

I have a licence for two wheels. And advanced qualifications too.

This could be a case of car & cyclist reaching roundabout at same time but car going faster so crossed onto the roundabout first?

It is reasonable for the cyclist to assume that the car may or may not stop; I would generally assume the latter. I don’t think we can infer that the cyclist is mentally ill.

No. I was fully on the roundabout first before the cyclist crossed the Give-Way lines. I was signalling right to take the third exit of this five junction roundabout.

Given the option I would happily move to Amsterdam. Great record shops, Belgian beer on tap, wonderful countryside a short cycle away...

Pre-COVID I used to be in Amsterdam 4 or 5 times a year. Great place for cycling if you can avoid your bike getting pinched. A bit flat though.

advertisement

Back