advertisement

Focal Sopra 1 amplification...

Tom60300

The truth hurts.
Hello all,
Latest installment of a never-ending catastrophic speaker fail in my room is the beautiful pair of Carrera white Sopra 1 with matching stands. Yes, they look nice. The only problem is, theoretically, one is supposed to listen to them as well.

For a pair of speakers whose main criticism is lacking the lowest octave, as they start dropping dBs down from 47hz, these little guys boom, rattle, grunt, rumble, erupt and resonate the holy dickens in my room threatening to remove the roof from the walls. In other words, they're useless. Amplification is Naim, but on other amps they behave similarly. In a 4mx8m room they are 41cm from the rear wall. That is much too close. Focal calculated the Sopra 1, atleast they told me so, to retain bass reflex performance and tonal balance with supplied foam speaker bungs. They don't work either. Just for the fun of it, here's a handy list of speakers that do not work in my room: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M, PMC 25.22i and now the Focal Sopra 1. I am pretty convinced that it is impossible to have a hifi system in this room without DSP or expensive and unauthorized room treatment. Atleast I can be proud of single-handedly supporting the loudspeaker industry.

FWIW, does anyone have any experience with these speakers or have a suggestion on alternative amplification? I've searched and researched this question for far too long and still have no solution.

Lastly, in your view, would you think it humorous and worthwhile if I were to take them out in the garden and set them on fire while filming it to AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" and post it to YouTube? I've been considering that for a while now.

Thanks and best regards.

Hello all,
Latest installment of a never-ending catastrophic speaker fail in my room is the beautiful pair of Carrera white Sopra 1 with matching stands. Yes, they look nice. The only problem is, theoretically, one is supposed to listen to them as well.

For a pair of speakers whose main criticism is lacking the lowest octave, as they start dropping dBs down from 47hz, these little guys boom, rattle, grunt, rumble, erupt and resonate the holy dickens in my room threatening to remove the roof from the walls. In other words, they're useless. Amplification is Naim, but on other amps they behave similarly. In a 4mx8m room they are 41cm from the rear wall. That is much too close. Focal calculated the Sopra 1, atleast they told me so, to retain bass reflex performance and tonal balance with supplied foam speaker bungs. They don't work either. Just for the fun of it, here's a handy list of speakers that do not work in my room: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M, PMC 25.22i and now the Focal Sopra 1. I am pretty convinced that it is impossible to have a hifi system in this room without DSP or expensive and unauthorized room treatment. Atleast I can be proud of single-handedly supporting the loudspeaker industry.

FWIW, does anyone have any experience with these speakers or have a suggestion on alternative amplification? I've searched and researched this question for far too long and still have no solution.

Lastly, in your view, would you think it humorous and worthwhile if I were to take them out in the garden and set them on fire while filming it to AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" and post it to YouTube? I've been considering that for a while now.

Thanks and best regards.
Rather than set them alight, give them to me and I’ll donate something to your favourite charity and/or set something else (of my choosing) alight if that’s what it takes! ;)

Joking apart, I suspect the ‘41cm from the rear wall’ is your problem here. I have a smaller room and have used much bigger speakers without problem, but rarely get them closer to the rear wall than about 70cm.

Have you ever tried a pair of speakers that are designed to go against a wall? Like Linn Kabers or something broadly comparable?

Have you ever tried a pair of speakers that are designed to go against a wall? Like Linn Kabers or something broadly comparable?

Hi, no because I do have atleast 40-something centimeters which is already a good distance and secondly if I were to go for some skinny wimpy against-the-walls I'd probably sacrifice everything below 70hz or still have tiny little bass boomers.

Funny thing is the last system that worked in this room, some 20 odd years ago, was a gigantic pair of Martin Logan Quest Z powered by Jadis DA-7 and JPL amplification with a Wadia 21 as CD player. That was real music with zero problems...except for the refrigerator sized speakers and the heat of 12 KT90s.

Nowadays with streaming and standmounts, absolutely nothing works in this room. Pretty serious about giving a humorously preposterous and unglamorous death to all my hifi garbage and take up naked basket weaving instead.

Rather than set them alight, give them to me and I’ll donate something to your favourite charity and/or set something else (of my choosing) alight if that’s what it takes! ;)

Joking apart, I suspect the ‘41cm from the rear wall’ is your problem here. I have a smaller room and have used much bigger speakers without problem, but rarely get them closer to the rear wall than about 70cm.

Well, you most assuredly wouldn't want them and I don't have 70cm to play with. I am poor and only have a 4mx8m living room to coexist with that lady who must be obeyed. Sometimes I wouldn't mind setting her on fire instead.

having had the focal diablo which are a bit similar i can sympathise with you . focal would not let me demo a pair with my class D bel canto , it was several years before i was allowed and used belles class AB monoblocks which did work . ultimately they didnt stay long . Not too long ago i heard the sopra 3 with a naim supernait 2. it was stunning for the first 20 seconds , bit like hearing concorde taking off , it lifted the roof and sounded like a full blown rock concert ... but i couldnt stand it for long . Naim and focal only got together for business reasons , i dont think they sound that good together . Do hope you can find something that works better with them

Hi, no because I do have atleast 40-something centimeters which is already a good distance and secondly if I were to go for some skinny wimpy against-the-walls I'd probably sacrifice everything below 70hz or still have tiny little bass boomers.

Funny thing is the last system that worked in this room, some 20 odd years ago, was a gigantic pair of Martin Logan Quest Z powered by Jadis DA-7 and JPL amplification with a Wadia 21 as CD player. That was real music with zero problems...except for the refrigerator sized speakers and the heat of 12 KT90s.

Nowadays with streaming and standmounts, absolutely nothing works in this room. Pretty serious about giving a humorously preposterous and unglamorous death to all my hifi garbage and take up naked basket weaving instead.

Ha!

I don't think a different amp is going to help, given that you said the Sopras are the same with your Naim and others. Perhaps something like the Naim SL2? Or a front or down-ported ProAc?

Just listening to them now and have pretty much decided to give up. There really isn't any solution, especially not changing once again for more stuff. Lost way too much money at this point. Reading books will have to do. Shouldn't have posted anyway, admin can delete. Thanks.

Just listening to them now and have pretty decided to give up. There really isn't any solution, especially not changing once again for more stuff. Lost way too much money at this point. Reading books will have to do. Shouldn't have posted anyway, admin can delete. Thanks.

certainly not , its a very important topic , you see loads of these sopra for sale so folks need to know !! there are many better speakers in my opinion !! tannoy eaton legacy being one of them but its not as beautiful perhaps !!

and these

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...0-gloss-white-with-matching-s6-stands.253655/

having had the focal diablo which are a bit similar i can sympathise with you . focal would not let me demo a pair with my class D bel canto , it was several years before i was allowed and used belles class AB monoblocks which did work . ultimately they didnt stay long . Not too long ago i heard the sopra 3 with a naim supernait 2. it was stunning for the first 20 seconds , bit like hearing concorde taking off , it lifted the roof and sounded like a full blown rock concert ... but i couldnt stand it for long . Naim and focal only got together for business reasons , i dont think they sound that good together . Do hope you can find something that works better with them

That's true about Naim and Focal. Anyone lucky enough to have a pair of ears will quickly realize that was a financial marriage only, notably to SAVE NAIM from total demise. There is no synergy between the two and in fact they make a terrible, grating, unnerving and unmusical sound. What's even funnier is that the Vervent Group has instructed both Naim and Focal to cross-sell and cross-recommend each brand, which is nothing short of heretical mass manipulation. Worse yet, the new uber-design, "Focal powered by Naim" boutique stores popping up in select cities around the world represent hypocrisy of the highest order. An unsuspecting, inexperienced audiophile newbie, preferably well-monied, could fall for a combo by being wowed with a massive boom and tizz demo while sipping an exotic espresso blend.
I understand companies need to make money but in this instance I think they are betraying authentic audiophiles and music lovers. Frankly, I think at this point that it is a needlessly laborious undertaking to find speakers that properly work with Naim and their goofball sound signature and equally futile to get on the merry go round to find amplification for Focal products. Back to reading books about competitive basket weaving for me.

Ha!

I don't think a different amp is going to help, given that you said the Sopras are the same with your Naim and others. Perhaps something like the Naim SL2? Or a front or down-ported ProAc?

Apologies, somehow I didn't see this suggestion when I posted mine about Allaes. I've not heard SL2s but I imagine they're awesome.

Thought about DSP/Room Correction?
https://www.minidsp.com/

Been there, done that. It totally sucks. MiniDSP uses Dirac which works, more or less, but you're constantly switching between 4 saved presets depending on the recording you're listening to and it is always a sad compromise. Worse yet, you have to insert this additional circuitry in your signal path AND have an extra ADA conversion so the original signal has been transformed into a sort of sonic monster. Plus, using Naim equipment means you drop the DIN cables for RCA, with the subsequent earthing and SQ issues, for RCA cables required for the MiniDSP.
As I use Roon, I've also used their DSP functionalities, either by house curves, low or high pass filters, or by customized values after room measurements with REW. Also tried custom convolution filters built by Home Audio Fidelity after proper measurements. Yes, it works but only if you have your computer, NAS or Roon core running and then again you're messing with the original signal once again. As a purist, this bothers me.
I have not tried Lyngdorf's Room Perfect or Anthem's ARC But that's another 5000€ for ANOTHER FUTILE ATTEMPT.

Just listening to them now and have pretty much decided to give up. There really isn't any solution, especially not changing once again for more stuff. Lost way too much money at this point. Reading books will have to do. Shouldn't have posted anyway, admin can delete. Thanks.

Could you not move house? Or build an audio annexe? (Extreme measures I know, but it sounds like you're in extreme territory.)

Speaking from experience the Lyngdorf Room Perfect is worth the dosh, I prefer it to Anthem ARC Genesis, the other option is the Trinnov Amethyst. Getting a home demo of the TADI-3400 might be worth a go. I have mine out of the loop at present and only use it as a pre but many are happy with it as an integrated streamer/dac/amp.

I suggested MiniDSP as a “toe in the water” on the presumption you’d not been down the measurement route.

Been all the way up the Naim 500 tree and moved over to Lyngdorf. I get the comment about a pure signal path, currently have a Class A Luxman amp in play but do use DSP on the Martin Logan Subs and also messed about with ROON and many other systems.

ATB

Gus

Speaking from experience the Lyngdorf Room Perfect is worth the dosh, I prefer it to Anthem ARC Genesis, the other option is the Trinnov Amethyst. Getting a home demo of the TADI-3400 might be worth a go. I have mine out of the loop at present and only use it as a pre but many are happy with it as an integrated streamer/dac/amp.

I suggested MiniDSP as a “toe in the water” on the presumption you’d not been down the measurement route.

Been all the way up the Naim 500 tree and moved over to Lyngdorf. I get the comment about a pure signal path, currently have a Class A Luxman amp in play but do use DSP on the Martin Logan Subs and also messed about with ROON and many other systems.

ATB

Gus

That's interesting indeed. The TDAI 3400 does seem to have a good reputation. Are you able to describe its basic sound signature used as full amplification? Warmish, coolish or neutral? In the third-world country where I live, home demos are like pulling teeth. I'm sure that Lyngdorf's RP could work here but will it marry with the Sopras...? That is ze question...Thanks for your insight on the 3400. Brgds.

advertisement

Back