advertisement

Paul Simon Still Crazy After All These Years

MichaelC

pfm Member
The one step arrived today. Playing now. Wow. Such a clean presentation, super quiet, definitely more defined bass with added heft, and the piano on My Little Town is nailed on accurate, it really sounds like a piano. Not shrill at the top end other than the chorus on My Little Town which has always been shrill to my ears - I guess there is only so much that can be done. A real winner,

An album I haven’t played for ages. Just checked my discogs collection, and I haven’t listed it.

A job for tomorrow - find the album.

thanks for the reminder.

edit: just seen this! re-reminder ;)

Last edited:
I have a U.K 1975 pressing A3/B2 embossed lettering on front sleeve with odd shaped top of card lyrics inner sleeve, it has a ‘smile’ lip. and angled either side.
Not a perfect copy, I haven’t played it for ages, so giving it a clean.
In the Paul Simon/ Simon & Garfunkel box, his eponymous 1972 album because I haven’t heard that for a while as well.
Since Paul Simon came out with Stranger To Stranger, that is my go to Simon fix.
It is a great record.

I’d advise avoiding the later CD remasters including the box set, they definitely did the loud/compressed thing to what were lovely recordings.

I’ve never felt the need for anything other than first press/early UK vinyl myself, though I’d be very interested to compare to US first pressings. I’m certainly not convinced there is any need to spend LOLprice on fancy audiophile reissues as they were huge sellers and can be found in nice condition fairly easily.

PS The 1960s album The Paul Simon Songbook is often overlooked by people and shouldn’t be IMO. It is earlier edgier recordings of what became many of the S&G hits. It was ages before it ended up getting a CD release and I’ve not heard that so no idea what the mastering it like.

PS The 1960s album The Paul Simon Songbook is often overlooked by people and shouldn’t be IMO. It is earlier edgier recordings of what became many of the S&G hits.
It’s also the album that gave us:-
“I was twenty-one years when I wrote this song
I’m twenty-two now but I won’t be for long”
…which Billy Bragg used many years later.

Mick

PS The 1960s album The Paul Simon Songbook is often overlooked by people and shouldn’t be IMO. It is earlier edgier recordings of what became many of the S&G hits. It was ages before it ended up getting a CD release and I’ve not heard that so no idea what the mastering it like.

The CD is not bad. It's not been crushed and it's mono. Good shout!

advertisement

Back