advertisement

Back on the old Linn Karousel...

Mine is simply one more forum opinion, no more valid than any.

I can just see the inevitability of Mr Pigs eventual dissatisfaction with his ‘LP12’ experiment.

If he wants my advice for a deck spec, I’d go for a brand new majik spec motor unit and source an akito and a new ATVM95 cartridge.

YMWOCVYFSKH

And yet Linn make a Rega fit Kore subchassis..

Commercial expediency? You can't deny that the Rega incompatibility is a commonly held opinion and it seems unlikely to have originated amongst end users? I don't know how many times I've heard it, a lot.

Commercial expediency? You can't deny that the Rega incompatibility is a commonly held opinion and it seems unlikely to have originated amongst end users? I don't know how many times I've heard it, a lot.
Totally agree with this. I’ve heard loads of Regas on loads of Linns, some good, some not. A number of the bad ones turned out not to have the arm cable dealt with properly, thus fouling the suspension. Linn certainly used to have a strong vested interest in putting Rega down when they made arms that competed price wise. The 90 degree plug on Linn arms does make them a lot easier, though.

Nah, bollocks.

Over the years a multitude of arms have been approved for nailing to the fruit box. In the beginning there was SME, Mayware and others. Linn's older arms are just Japanese arms with a Linn badge on. More recently they've sent out the Majik with Pro-Ject, another Jap arm and..who make the Krane again?

So only Rega make arms that cannot work on the LP12? Garbage. Linn just don't want you to do it because you might realise that the emperor is buck naked. They don't want you to discover that Rega's cheaper product sounds better than their expensive one.
Well, in the early days, Linn were a small company and didn't supply an arm. But I assume that by the late 70s, Martin D and co had built up some knowledge of what did and didn't work (for their ears), and this helped steer their choice of arm design and any tweaks they were able to get implemented in Japan.

As for the Majik arms, again, they must have tested various arms and picked them based upon price and what best suited the deck but that doesn't make them ideal.

But let's not get stuck on the Rega arm topic as that decision seems made anyway.

I've heard an L4 deck but not compared to another PSU so can't help there. You have said you like the original LP12 PSU so David's suggestion of a Majik PSU makes sense, if you want something cheaper (that also meets modern safety regs). Linn did say that there's a little more to it than the original PSU - can't recall what though.

The current LP12s are the best they’ve ever been.

It's interesting that you say that, and technically I have no doubt that it's true, but if you listen to a very early LP12, or Ariston, and it has a bounce and swing to the sound the later decks don't. Not saying it's accurate, but it's nice.

The 90 degree plug on Linn arms does make them a lot easier, though.

True, and early Rega arms had really thin, soft cables on them. Made getting a bounce easy but the cable was a bit too floppy to counteract the suspension rotation well. The arms still worked but a thicker cable is easier.

I've heard an L4 deck but not compared to another PSU so can't help there. You have said you like the original LP12 PSU so David's suggestion of a Majik PSU makes sense, if you want something cheaper (that also meets modern safety regs).

I'd like to try and get better speed stability out of the thing without losing the warm, bouncy feel of the earlier decks. To be honest, that makes we wary of the stiffer subchassis as I reckon it might clean up the bass too much? Really don't know, I'm guessing as I've never had an LP12 with a subchassis beyond the Cirkus.

Design ethos? Which design ethos is that then because Linn have run the full gamut of ‘energy transfer’ design choices on the LP12 often with large about turns from what went before. From lossy at the armboard screws and Linn tight everywhere else to eliminating armboard screws and Linn loose everywhere else. These isn’t a consistent design thinking, it’s just a platform that’s evolved. The current LP12s are the best they’ve ever been.
My view is that the ethos changed in the early 90s when Linn moved away from 'foot tapping' emphasis to tune dem, but this didn't really change the sound of the deck much until the SE upgrades. I have no proof of this - it's just what my ears tell me plus some knowledge of who was working on what - you can here this shift simply in the minor changes between a Lingo 1 and Lingo 2. Having said that, in order to improve the tune playing abilities, the overall ethos doesn't seem to have shifted all that much and managing vibrations still seems important.

Also, I don't think you can draw conclusions from the design decisions themselves, such as armboard screws, etc.. The key question is, 'what were they listening for?' - i.e. at that point in time, 'What was the evaluation technique that guided those design choices?'

My view is that the ethos changed in the early 90s when Linn moved away from 'foot tapping' emphasis to tune dem, but this didn't really change the sound of the deck much until the SE upgrades.

I think it changed with the Lingo1 and Cirkus. Their speakers started to go in a different direction around the same time.

I'd like to try and get better speed stability out of the thing without losing the warm, bouncy feel of the earlier decks.

I seem to remember Leigh Norton saying this when he brought out the Airpower- to match the Lingo without losing the Nirvana.

I seem to remember Leigh Norton saying this when he brought out the Airpower- to match the Lingo without losing the Nirvana.
That's a good ambition. Never heard one myself.

With Lingo/Ekos2/Adikt, I do hear less 'connectedness' between intertwined instruments in a mix compared to Valhalla/Ittok/Adikt, but the Lingo deck has its musical strengths too - i.e. it's not just a cleaner sound.

I have a couple of low wear white liner bearings. I'd be willing to part with one of them. I bought the last one from my dealer when it cropped up.

I have a couple of low wear white liner bearings. I'd be willing to part with one of them. I bought the last one from my dealer when it cropped up.

Thank you for the offer. I'll see how it goes once the deck is up and running.

I was very fortunate to find an early bearing that had never been used. At one point Linn sold the LP12 as a kit of parts which you could assemble into your own plinth. Guy had bought one of the kits and never did anything with it.

So, meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Anyone got an opinion on the aftermarket subchassis relative to the stock steel item?

I think the stock item is aluminium, unless youre buying second hand.

This is why the new LP12 is such good value , you get a karousel and modern subchassis setup.

Have you already got an older deck? , if so id suggest the cheapest upgrade would be to buy a Karousel and a Majik Subchassis.

So, meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Anyone got an opinion on the aftermarket subchassis relative to the stock steel item?
Hi, if your looking at alternatives, I have personal experience of both Mober (Edmund Chan) and Stack Audio (Theo Stack). Both are real gents, exemplary customer service and top notch products. Theo has a website, Edmund used to post regularly on here and has a FB group I believe.
If your looking for plinths, then solid sounds are excellent. Again, a real gent to deal with.

Hi, if your looking at alternatives, I have personal experience of both Mober (Edmund Chan) and Stack Audio (Theo Stack). Both are real gents, exemplary customer service and top notch products. Theo has a website, Edmund used to post regularly on here and has a FB group I believe.
If your looking for plinths, then solid sounds are excellent. Again, a real gent to deal with.

How does the Stack one compare to the stock steel item? In what way does it change the sound?

The deck comes with a nice plinth but I'll see what it looks like in the flesh, may change it.

advertisement

Back