advertisement

Back on the old Linn Karousel...

Mr Pig

^'- -'^
So...

Ordered an LP12 chassis last night to build up a new deck. Give the old fruit box another go. Current spec except for a Cirkus bearing and I'll need a motor/PSU and subchassis/armboard to complete it. Plus an arm of course. Currently planning on keeping the RB2000 for it, maybe.

So, what's the skinny on subchassis'? So many options. Cirkus, Majik or one of the many aftermarket ones. The Stack Audio ones seem good value but what do these different kites sound like?

Quite fancy the Lingo 4 but it's not cheap. Is it worth it?

Important thing is that I want to retain the full, airy sound that made the LP12 so nice in the first place. If I wanted a super-clean record player I'd keep the RP10. Alive, fun, engaging are words I like.

Any experience or advice welcome? :0)

The older the subchassis and bearing type the more euphonic and less detailed the deck will sound. Same for the (then) top of the range arms. Lingo 4 is worth it if you want the detail.

I was thinking that if you mix the Lingo with older subchassis you might get a tighter sound without it being too clinical. Better speed stability would be nice!

So the alloy subchassis' trade openness for detail?

Well, when I get the LP12/Kore/Mober PS table I can compare it to a LP12/Cirkus/Mose-Hercules2 table . . . I suspect the Mose-Hercules2 is probably the best value PS out there; hoping the Mober DC/external supply is, as I've read, close to the Radikal.

Will give you my thoughts Mr Pig when I have it installed,next month.

I'd quite like to have a working record player by then! ;0)

I've read that revue, compelling. I'm not surprised it's good as the 12v motor kit for Rega turntables is good, and a damn sight cheaper! Wonder if I could fit one of those to the Linn...

Well, when I get the LP12/Kore/Mober PS table I can compare it to a LP12/Cirkus/Mose-Hercules2 table . .

I watched an installation video for the Mober DC motor kit a while back. Really wasn't impressed with the way you have to stick on the tacho disk without a system for centering it. Sloppy. It would have been easy to have a hole in the center of the sticker sheet to guide the sticker into place and they should've done something like that.

I watched an installation video for the Mober DC motor kit a while back. Really wasn't impressed with the way you have to stick on the tacho disk without a system for centering it. Sloppy. It would have been easy to have a hole in the center of the sticker sheet to guide the sticker into place and they should've done something like that.

Interesting! Well, if it sucks completely, I'll have a Valhalla and a Mose-Hercules2 to choose from for it . . .

And it's already installed, so I'll HOPE it's installed correctly.

Why not? Genuine question, is there any good reason why a Rega arm 8s not suitable for a LP12?

I've done it before. I've put an RB250, RB300 and modified RB300 on LP12s and thought the outcome pretty good. The RB250 totally destroyed the Linn Basik it replaced while costing similar money. The modded RB300 replaced an Ittok and if the Ittok had been better it would have stayed.

So no, there is no reason why a Rega arm can't work on an LP12. I think the most likely reason you rarely see it is that Linn really don't want you to do it.

So...

Ordered an LP12 chassis last night to build up a new deck. Give the old fruit box another go. Current spec except for a Cirkus bearing and I'll need a motor/PSU and subchassis/armboard to complete it. Plus an arm of course. Currently planning on keeping the RB2000 for it, maybe.

So, what's the skinny on subchassis'? So many options. Cirkus, Majik or one of the many aftermarket ones. The Stack Audio ones seem good value but what do these different kites sound like?

Quite fancy the Lingo 4 but it's not cheap. Is it worth it?

Important thing is that I want to retain the full, airy sound that made the LP12 so nice in the first place. If I wanted a super-clean record player I'd keep the RP10. Alive, fun, engaging are words I like.

Any experience or advice welcome? :0)
Good luck with your mission :)

It's gonna be tough cos you have your own specific needs that I'm not sure any deck can meet, but you won't know unless you try.

Why not? Genuine question, is there any good reason why a Rega arm 8s not suitable for a LP12?

Because it’s at odds with the fundamental design ethos of the linn, if you’re fitting a Rega arm you might as well stick with a Rega deck.

it’s not like it doesn’t work, but like a koetsu black or a collaro mat, it’ll be flat as a fart.

Because it’s at odds with the fundamental design ethos of the linn, if you’re fitting a Rega arm you might as well stick with a Rega deck.

I understand that the Turntables from Rega are from a 'fundamental design ethos' that differs from the design the LP12 is based on but could you explain what makes the tonearms so very different from a 'design' or engineering point of view.

I understand that the Turntables from Rega are from a 'fundamental design ethos' that differs from the design the LP12 is based on but could you explain what makes the tonearms so very different from a 'design' or engineering point of view.

I believe it comes down to the material choice, and the energy transfer properties of.

Never heard a Rega arm on an LP12 but would you say that the key approach to the LP12 design is to get every component to vibrate together in a harmonious way, including the arm?

Nah, bollocks.

Over the years a multitude of arms have been approved for nailing to the fruit box. In the beginning there was SME, Mayware and others. Linn's older arms are just Japanese arms with a Linn badge on. More recently they've sent out the Majik with Pro-Ject, another Jap arm and..who make the Krane again?

So only Rega make arms that cannot work on the LP12? Garbage. Linn just don't want you to do it because you might realise that the emperor is buck naked. They don't want you to discover that Rega's cheaper product sounds better than their expensive one.

I’ve built a couple of LP12s this year with the Rega RB303 and they sounded superb. The idea that a Rega doesn’t work on an LP12 is a myth that only gets blindly trotted out by old fanatics desperately orating the gospel according to Ivor. It’s nonsense.

Design ethos? Which design ethos is that then because Linn have run the full gamut of ‘energy transfer’ design choices on the LP12 often with large about turns from what went before. From lossy at the armboard screws and Linn tight everywhere else to eliminating armboard screws and Linn loose everywhere else. These isn’t a consistent design thinking, it’s just a platform that’s evolved. The current LP12s are the best they’ve ever been.

advertisement

Back