advertisement

Amplifier Transformer Group Buy

My two transformers arrived today, Stephen sent me mine to check before he made the rest.
I wired them up and they are perfectly silent on my 242.5 Mains, I tried them on the 230, 240 & 250 setting and they were silent and don't get hot .
All secondary's are centre tapped except for the single 0-12

On 240VAC setting I got the following from each secondary
35VAC 1 = 36.6-0-36.6 (73.5) +4.5% unloaded
35VAC 2 = 36.6-0-36.6 (73.5) +4.5% unloaded
42VAC 1 = 43.5-0-43.5 (87.3) +3.6% unloaded
42VAC 2 = 43.5-0-43.5 (87.3) +3.6% unloaded
12VAC = 12.8V

On 230VAC setting I got the following from each secondary
35VAC 1 = 38-0-38 (76.4) +8.6% unloaded
35VAC 2 = 38-0-38 (76.4) +8.6% unloaded
42VAC 1 = 45.3-0-45.3 (90.9) +7.8% unloaded
42VAC 2 = 45.3-0-45.3 (90.9) +7.8% unloaded
12VAC = 13.3V

On 250VAC setting I got the following from each secondary
35VAC 1 = 35.2-0-35.2 (70.4) +0.5% unloaded
35VAC 2 = 35.2-0-35.2 (70.4) +0.5% unloaded
42VAC 1 = 41.7-0-41.7 (83.7) -0.7% unloaded
42VAC 2 = 41.7-0-41.7 (83.7) -0.7% unloaded
12VAC = 12.0V

So overall good readings the secondary's are very even and the regulation seems about right 4.5%

Ill try some loading tomorrow if I can find the right power resistors

My only comment is that the goss band is just slipped over the transformer and covered in red electricians tape ?
I asked for mine in clear tape and the ones I have had in the past the Goss band is under the final wraps of the clear tape .
I would also expect to see a sticker on there as well to show the secondary colour coding for future ref

Alan

Got my two yesterday. 2 x 400VA. GOSS band is secured by Black fabric finish. A label on the transformers itself would be nice.
My previous red Aleph J transformer is unlabelled too.

mine is all under the red tape no sticker either a hand written note for colour coding. That was the pair for monos very smart looking and not too big

I've had two toroids from Tiger one fully cloth covered including the Goss band and one with it externally pushed on; neither had colour coding labels.
A quality product non the less.

I made up a label for mine and printed it off on photo paper
I have asked Tiger Toroids to supply one with each transformer, Ill send a copy of the one I have made but he may allready have his own ?
Anyway this is the one I have done for information only, it won't be the same size in this picture as the word document but it gives you an idea ?

Tiger torroid sticker by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

I made up a label for mine and printed it off on photo paper
I have asked Tiger Toroids to supply one with each transformer, Ill send a copy of the one I have made but he may allready have his own ?
Anyway this is the one I have done for information only, it won't be the same size in this picture as the word document but it gives you an idea ?

Tiger torroid sticker by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

I've stared, and tried to think. But, no, I've got to ask.

What's the underlined wire pair mean (yellow-red and black-orange) ?

BugBear

Stephen told me he would get all the transformers out over the next 2 weeks
There is a Neoprene Rubber mounting pad but there was no M8x30mm bolt and washer for the transformer
He says he doesent have any so we will all have to get our own ?
He has no problem with us using the sticker that I made up so if anyone wants the word version send me your email address or save the picture posted and resize it to suit and print it off.
Alan

Just an update from Tiger toroid's all transformers are wound, just need potting.
All will all be delivered next week

Alan

Glad to see them getting delivered :cool:, hope everyone is happy with there transformers.
Stephen said the red lacquered ones take a few days to dry before potting but should be ready by Monday.

Alan

Mine has been fitted to my Leach amp.
Hum is very low in level, I can just about hear it with my ear next to the transformer (240V primary)

First impressions of the sound are very good, maybe a touch more forward in the upper mids compared to Les' EI monster.
I'm very happy overall!

Here it is Alan!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2fnw5s7xkomyfi/IMG_1102.JPG?dl=0
For reference it is 18cm diameter and 7.5cm high
Set up for testing using the 240V primary I get 50.4 and 50.8V after rectification on the 35V secondaries so that seems right (off load)
Manages switch on with a 2.5T fuse so far and it's silent
Those are NCC200s version 1 issue 3 May 2009 - so I think they should work set at 35mA
I should try powering the front end separately as I have some spare cap6s. But I would need some help
I will try some disposable speakers later in the week
I need a two channel DC protection module, always used Velleman before and although there is plenty on this forum there is no definite alternative suggested
I would like to use the 12V secondary as it is there
Thanks again

advertisement

Back