advertisement

Curmudgeon Corner

On this, I blame bus lane cameras. People are so afraid of getting a ticket and the stories of, eg, getting ticketed after swerving to avoid a cyclist, that they just avoid bus lanes. Also, it’s very difficult to read the signs showing hours of operation while giving due focus to traffic and all the other demands on your attention. So much easier to just stay the hell out of each and every bus lane, especially if you don’t know the area.
I think this is a very real issue.

I think this is a very real issue.
There’s a bus lane North out of Stockport on the A6. It’s constantly being broken and restarting, with new signs about the period of operation at each new section. I drive that road perhaps once a year, so I’m not familiar with it. Also, it’d be a fool who assumed the hours of validity were the same from one end of the sequence of sections to the other, and it’s a busy road with lots going on. There simply isn’t time to take in the hours of validity every 300 yards or so. Far easier and less distracting (therefore, safer) just to stay out of the bus lane.

On this, I blame bus lane cameras. People are so afraid of getting a ticket and the stories of, eg, getting ticketed after swerving to avoid a cyclist, that they just avoid bus lanes. Also, it’s very difficult to read the signs showing hours of operation while giving due focus to traffic and all the other demands on your attention. So much easier to just stay the hell out of each and every bus lane, especially if you don’t know the area.
This used to bother me but since I traded in my old Toyota for a Routemaster it’s been no problem:)

advertisement

Back