advertisement

Complete moron on a bike

Correct, riding two abreast is supported by the Highway Code. The CTC strongly advocates for riding two or three abreast to reduce the risk of dangerous overtaking by motor vehicles. I'm a keen cyclist and car enthusiast. Adding a few seconds journey time to minimise the chance of causing injury to a fellow human being seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Might be ok on a wide road but three abreast on a lot of B roads means you struggle to find enough width to pass safely. I prefer to give cyclists a good metre.

For a careful driver three abreast becomes a rolling road block.

We always pull in to single file and on a small country lane stop and get the car past, being run over once is enough.

I don’t support 3 abreast riding. Drivers should give cyclists as much room as they would a car, this will involve moving into the outside lane.

1 mtr is nowhere near enough room. Should be at least 1.5mtrs.

Hate to break this to you but some roads are just not suitable for cars so don’t get angry when you come across a cyclist on a quite lane.

I don’t support 3 abreast riding. Drivers should give cyclists as much room as they would a car, this will involve moving into the outside lane.

Hate to break this to you but some roads are just not suitable for cars so don’t get angry when you come across a cyclist on a quite lane.

If a car can get up a lane then it's suitable. An artic, maybe not. If I was on a bike and a car couldn't overtake because a lane was too tight, I'd be looking to get off and allow them to pass - it might mess with my Strava but that's unfortunate.

If a car can get up a lane then it's suitable. An artic, maybe not. If I was on a bike and a car couldn't overtake because a lane was too tight, I'd be looking to get off and allow them to pass - it might mess with my Strava but that's unfortunate.
You have just as much right to be on it as the car.

This is in French motoring law. Pass closer (without good reason, where reasonably practicable, etc) and if a flic sees you he will write a ticket.

Last weekend I was close passed & beeped aggressively by a car travelling through the Chatsworth estate. This just sums up the mentality; said driver could have just used the A6 if he was in a hurry.
That was probably Frank Gallagher on the way back from the Jockey…

What’s the difference between cyclists 2 abreast and a tractor? I suppose the obvious answer is that the cyclists needn’t be 2 abreast at all times and I think the Highway Code makes mention of where it’s safe to do so, or something along those lines.

When I’m cycling I’ll stop if I’m holding someone up on a narrow lane , and when I’m driving , the very last thing I want is an accident , regardless of whose fault it may be. I simply don’t want the aggro and I don’t want to be involved in injury anyone.

What’s the difference between cyclists 2 abreast and a tractor? I suppose the obvious answer is that the cyclists needn’t be 2 abreast at all times and I think the Highway Code makes mention of where it’s safe to do so, or something along those lines.

When I’m cycling I’ll stop if I’m holding someone up on a narrow lane , and when I’m driving , the very last thing I want is an accident , regardless of whose fault it may be. I simply don’t want the aggro and I don’t want to be involved in injury anyone.

Tractor's usually travel at 50 kph and should stop as soon as they create a queue where possible.

On a tractor i've only received complaints about going too fast.

Some cyclists hate to be overtaken by tractors, i've had them pedalling flat out between me and the ditch with a car coming.

Much the same as with electric scooters i'd say all road users should have some basic education and maybe even insurance.

Most cyclists will have the same knowledge of the Highway Code as motorists; you can take that which ever way you like;)

I am always wary of tractors as they are unlikely to see me in some instances. I ride a lot on the local lanes & see nothing but courtesy from farmers.

Most cyclists will have the same knowledge of the Highway Code as motorists; you can take that which ever way you like;)

I am always wary of tractors as they are unlikely to see me in some instances. I ride a lot on the local lanes & see nothing but courtesy from farmers.

I think it's changed a bit since i took my test in 1972!

Mirrors are a nightmare on tractors, just the right height to hit substantial branches.

Jeez, you're lucky then. I've lived rurally all my life and worked on the farm when I was young, took my tractor test at 16 and hauled grain with a Ford county, blah blah. Most of the summer staff round here are youngsters from all over the world and they're not at all considerate in the farm machinery, whether I'm cycling or driving.

This is from Gov.uk regarding riding 2 abreast, somewhat open to interpretation regarding a busy or narrow road:

037-D71-E2-5209-4-BE7-AA45-46-BE7327-B8-BD.jpg

advertisement

Back