advertisement

Isokinetik Motor Cover

johnnyoff625

Has anyone got any experience of using the Isokinetic motor cover on their turntable motors - good or bad that they can share? I'm rather amused by the fact it's made out of "Absorbothane," but cynical amusement at the polymer name aside, it's not silly money, and if there has been good experience of it I'll give it a go.

I am unfamiliar with this, and haven't Googled, but if it is just a cover.................. I genuinely can't hear anything from my LP12 and Hypersapce motors.

Also bear in mind that in one way or another, the motor has to be mounted and even if on noise/vibration reducing mounts, it will still, inevitably, transmit "noise" through the mounts, which no cover can hide.

Another consideration is that motors have both maximum working temperature and ambient temperature range specifications. Some AC synchronous types have vents within the housing which will end up blocked, others simply rely upon conduction via the metal housing which will become limited due to being insulated.

Covering any of these with a polymer jacket may not actually cause the working temperature to be exceeded, but it will certainly have such motors operating much closer to it.

For reference the typical Philips/Airpax/Prmotec 9904 111 series 110V motors are rated as follows:

Max Working temperature: 105ºC
Ambient temperature range: -5 to +70ºC
There alse exists a torque derating specification which is expressed as %/ºC (0.25 in the 9904 111 series).

So it's a polymer jacket that fits around the motor on a turntable
It cannot do any harm (except if it causes the motor to over heat!!) And could probably do a little good...if the motor is a little noisy or vibrates

MAYBE something else needs attention before fitting a cover?

Point taken Vinny...but ALL TT motors make some noise and vibrate to some extent.....it's the nature of moving parts
So this jacket might help with that...no idea what it costs...but obviously if the money was better spent towards a new motor...then that's a no brainer

advertisement

Back