advertisement

Oh how I’m looking forward to smirking at the Scots tomorrow.

I've noticed in the past Tony, you just enjoy smirking. As a Scot I won't be watching, I know just how bad they are no big deal. Where as , as a typical English supporter you still think that your team are the best in the world. Your typical response to the usual poor result is well they're a young team , got to make allowances.

Why we're so bad, and why your team is going down hill is because of the amount of foreign players in the domestic league, stopping home bred players getting experience. This happened up here in the 60's and is happening to your marvellous (cough, cough) team down there. NOT A RANT BUT THINK ABOUT IT.

I’d be disappointed if there was no banter!! Tale of 2 managers….Southgate made some selection decisions that were unpopular and worked for him, Clarke’s downfall is he didn’t make any changes and was too loyal to a few that are out of form and have been for months, especially Dykes & O’Donnell. Liam Cooper was also rotten.

Comments like this invariably come back to haunt the National team, from what I saw of the game, the Scots were somewhat unlucky and should have scored a couple in the second half but were victims of a great header and freak wondergoal

But for a bit of bad luck the Scots could have easily scored twice. Englnad fan here, but i do want the other home nations to do well. I'd much prefer the Scots to get out of our group that Croatia or the CR.

But for a bit of bad luck the Scots could have easily scored twice. Englnad fan here, but i do want the other home nations to do well. I'd much prefer the Scots to get out of our group that Croatia or the CR.
Agreed. Tbf he s done very well to even emerge from that net ! Perhaps he s the new Frank Haffey, who let in 9 against England in 61

But for a bit of bad luck the Scots could have easily scored twice. England fan here, but I do want the other home nations to do well. I'd much prefer the Scots to get out of our group that Croatia or the CR.
I also tend to support the home nations, but this can wear a bit thin when the Scots invariably support the teams paying England. Many moons ago, attending a conference in Amsterdam, I sat in a bar watching England play Argentina in the World Cup. The local Dutch were cheering for England, but the large contingent of Scots (including, unfortunately, SWMBO) were willing Argentina to win. Always fun on our sofa when England is playing Scotland at rugby!

I’d be disappointed if there was no banter!! Tale of 2 managers….Southgate made some selection decisions that were unpopular and worked for him, Clarke’s downfall is he didn’t make any changes and was too loyal to a few that are out of form and have been for months, especially Dykes & O’Donnell. Liam Cooper was also rotten.
Dykes scored 6 goals in the last six weeks of the season at club level, that's hardly out of form.

Footie isn't something I lose a second of sleep over.. However. I was in a pub in Aberdeen on the the afternoon of Sept 1st 2001, when England beat Germany 5-1 in the early qualifiying stages of something or other..

As I recall .. on the same day..or thereabouts, Scotland had lost, or drawn..or failed to win against someone in the same tournament. Croatia? Dunno.

However.. what I do know is that there was nothing said by we English about the Scottish defeat, but when a few of my more enthusiastic English colleagues quite rightly celebrated the England win.. many of the Scots in the pub reacted as if England had actually beaten Scotland..by cheating.

It was not an edifying experience.

Been missing barn doors for Scotland and did not look sharp yesterday, as has been the case for a while in a Scotland jersey. Do you think he should have started over Adam?

advertisement

Back