advertisement

Good and bad older Linn amps and preamps?

greg788

pfm Member
The older used Linn amps and preamps in America are pretty reasonably priced. If one were to buy an older Linn amp and preamp, which are good and which should be avoided?

Sound quality and price go hand in hand so there are no duds as such

The only one I can think of that you might want to avoid based on reliability is the original LK1/LK2

The Kairn battery needs replacing every so often or it can leak onto the circuit board

Exotiks had an issue losing memory when upgraded with Dynamik PSU although I think Linn withdraw Dynamik support for it

Bear in mind some of the LK designs also ran on until about 2004 IIRC so are not so old

The Pretek/Powertek are generally less highly thought of in terms of sound quality but some people really like them so there you go. I only ever heard the Intek back in the day

Majik / Majik-i integrated amps in LK casework (i.e. 12 inch wide) are still great value

Last edited:
The older used Linn amps and preamps in America are pretty reasonably priced. If one were to buy an older Linn amp and preamp, which are good and which should be avoided?
I asked a similar question and got great advice from @linnfomaniac83 I ended up with a Wakonda Pre and LK85 Power. The Kairn Pre and LK100/140 were on the radar and I just plumped for the first combo to appear. I was told to steer clear of the LK1/LK2 and ruled out the Intek.

Some info I read/found useful here
http://www.hoth.uk/Linn-kit.htm
http://www.sievers.sh/content/linn.php

My own Linn journey started with a Majik-I to which I later added an LK85.

Then I swapped the Majik for a Kolektor and added a second LK85

Then I swapped the LK85's to LK140's.

Then I finally upgraded to a Kairn and later changed my 2x LK140 to 1x Klout.

To my ears the Kairn and Klout were miles ahead of the rest. I rate the Klout very highly.

I had a Kairn, very good and a sensible array of features. MM and MC phono (the Kairn Pro looks identical but lacks the phono stage), also balance control and a mono switch, both things I find essential in a preamp.

The Wakonda is the preamp section of the Majik-I integrated of the same era. Also good, and quite a bit cheaper than a Kairn. These come as either MM, MC, or line level. The Kolektor has approximately 700 inputs but is otherwise not nearly as good. MM phono stage only, no mono switch.

The main problem with all of these is they don't have nice knobs, which makes them unloveable, but they're undoubtedly much more sophisticated designs than most UK small manufacturer electronics of the period.

There are better sounding and more reliable amps than Linn available at any price point and in USA you have the likes of Hafler, Adcom and Parasound at lower prices than we would pay here. Game over.

Sorry, but Hafler, Bryston, Adcom and Parasound are no match for a Linn Klout. Not even close in my experience. Maybe better than LK85/LK100, as I have not heard them.

I’m afraid I agree regarding early Linn electronics. Frankly they were woeful compared to Naim at the time.

I remember taking my 72/hicap/250 round to a friends who had bought an all Linn system including a LP12/Ekos/Troika, Isobariks and Kairn/LK280. Suffice to say he was gutted.

IMO, Linn has a better offering with their vintage CD players than amps although they don’t service them anymore.
I would avoid their amplifier with SMPS (switch mode power supply) unless you can service them yourself and no damage has been done yet.
That said, I briefly heard a Linn Klout many years ago and was very positively impressed by its dynamic and clarity but I went the Naim path back then as they were more affordable and easier to resell here in Eastern Canada.
These Linn amps come on sale randomly at a so affordable price that I can understand they can be attractive......I am tempted myself.......
I still have my Linn Mimik CD player and it’s working fine after a belt and capacitors change back in 2018.

I had a Kairn, very good and a sensible array of features. MM and MC phono (the Kairn Pro looks identical but lacks the phono stage), also balance control and a mono switch, both things I find essential in a preamp.

The Wakonda is the preamp section of the Majik-I integrated of the same era. Also good, and quite a bit cheaper than a Kairn. These come as either MM, MC, or line level. The Kolektor has approximately 700 inputs but is otherwise not nearly as good. MM phono stage only, no mono switch.

The main problem with all of these is they don't have nice knobs, which makes them unloveable, but they're undoubtedly much more sophisticated designs than most UK small manufacturer electronics of the period.
The Majik and the Wakonda have the same preamp section… until you listen to them next to each other, the Wakonda sounds better, no doubt, I have three Majiks and two Wakondas here, the Wakonda sounds better as a preamp. Majik is no slouch though and is a great integrated!

I’m afraid I agree regarding early Linn electronics. Frankly they were woeful compared to Naim at the time.

I remember taking my 72/hicap/250 round to a friends who had bought an all Linn system including a LP12/Ekos/Troika, Isobariks and Kairn/LK280. Suffice to say he was gutted.

No way! I chose Kolektor/LK85 over 112/150, as the former had lovely tonality and textures with choral and classical whereas the Naim sounded, well, just crude really.

Looking at your list of equipment I would expect nothing less. Linn and Naim are my least liked brands and I would have nothing made by either even if it was free (other than a few Linn arms and carts which were not actually made by Linn).
Well, if ever you get a pair of Naim NAP 135 for free just ship them to me then, I’ll pay postage ! :D

advertisement

Back