advertisement

Tesco Thievery

Vinny

pfm Member
I went into the Ashby (de la Zouch) store today (a middling-small branch) and bought some fresh meat. As the lad behind the counter put it into the sealed clear container that has been the norm' for several weeks, I said - "presumably because it isn't sealed and can lose blood?".
He grinned and said "you'd think so, but no - theft. £700-worth of meat was stolen in one week". The containers must be security-tagged.

I was lost for words and said so.

I was in my local lidl's a couple of weeks ago and lucky enough to find a pack of 2 rump steaks reduced to 70p as sell by ran out that night. On my way out the security alarm went off and I looked at the bloke on the checkout... who replied "just ignore it mate it's yer meat"

I worked part time in the Beers, Wines and Spirits section of Sainsburys in Wood Green for three years. The number of shoplifters was astonishing. Quite often once they'd twigged they'd been spotted they'd just smash the bottle on the floor and stroll out. The security guard got shot at once legging it down the road after a bloke who'd nicked a bottle of brandy.

I used to steal ‘swoppit’ toy soldiers from Woolies when I was small. We used to bury them and only take home occasionally to avoid suspicion. Unfortunately one of the gang couldn’t hack deferred gratification, took his stash home and spilled the beans once his parents got suspicious. Generously, he grassed us up, even claiming I was the ring leader! I haven’t stolen anything since. Catch ‘em young is my motto figuratively and literally.

This has its downsides. I use my own bag rather than a basket. I’d overlooked a small bag of sesame seeds I’d bought one day so ended up paying for the same thing twice today. Such is the trauma of being caught thieving at a tender age I like to think. You need decent parents for this to work of course…

I worked part time in the Beers, Wines and Spirits section of Sainsburys in Wood Green for three years. The number of shoplifters was astonishing. Quite often once they'd twigged they'd been spotted they'd just smash the bottle on the floor and stroll out. The security guard got shot at once legging it down the road after a bloke who'd nicked a bottle of brandy.

I lived in Turnpike Lane for a year. Next door to the Ricin plot! Actual, next, door.

One of my local Co ops had all their joints and steaks in big plastic security containers because so much was being stolen.

I recall about 12-14 years ago when the big supermarkets where trying to out do each other on cheap electrical goods but meat had already become silly money being stunned that I could buy a set top digital receiver for TV with all the high tech that involves for only £9.99 but a joint of lamb was £14!

I recall about 12-14 years ago when the big supermarkets where trying to out do each other on cheap electrical goods but meat had already become silly money being stunned that I could buy a set top digital receiver for TV with all the high tech that involves for only £9.99 but a joint of lamb was £14!

TV will get you through times of no meat better than meat will get you through times of no TV. :)

<moderating>

Some posts removed. May I politely request people do not try to turn my website into the Daily Express.

A while back I got to the car and found a ‘lost’ cucumber in the bottom of the trolley….it had not made it to the belt. I wondered for a minute and thought it would be more hassle to go back and try to pay for it.

Since covid arrived we have got used to having deliveries from our local Morrisons.
On one occasion they delivered something we would never buy, a bag of 48 frozen sausage rolls not on the order by mistake.
We phoned the driver and he said keep them, I’m not coming back for them.
We’ve also had beer bottles delivered with one leaking and been credited for the whole pack of beers when we reported it on line.
Needless to say I am impressed.

My son ordered a secondhand gaming mouse from CEX, they sent two. He is delighted and really I cannot be arsed to argue.

advertisement

Back