advertisement

Oasis eviscerated

I've always been firmly of the opinion that our likes and dislikes are as much about the stage in life we heard that music as anything else.

I first saw Oasis a couple of months before they released their first album. It was a free music festival on Avenham Park in Preston and I remember they played Supersonic. As an aside, I saw Kirsty MacColl there but perhaps a year or two earlier.

Anyway, I was 18 at the time, and I've enjoyed seeing all the bands mentioned in this thread. I never an 'x camp or y camp' but enjoyed most of that era. Whether bouncing into the student union to the sound of Blur's Girls and Boys, Shed 7, Catatonia, Oasis, Supergrass, Super Furries, Pulp, Radiohead, Bluetones, Boos, Underworld, Super Furry Animals, Prodigy, Ash, host of others. I was also heading into Manchester and Liverpool - Cream/Nation, Home and other clubs with friends into the DJ scene with Sasha, Digweed etc.

To what degree was I critically considering the value of the music, its relation to its predecessors, the skill of the instrumentalists.... Not much. It was simply about enjoyment, a shared experience and feeling alive. My memories of all those bands are positive - they trigger reminders of pure enjoyment in music unfettered by the hassles of adulthood that follow. That does not mean of course that I'd buy a new Oasis album today, nor that I'd feel the same had I been 30 when they appeared...

Live music is still a huge deal for me and after the freeze of the last 18 months I am very much looking forward for an intense period of rescheduled gigs over the next 12 months.

Rob

The author derides an intolerant obnoxious opionista by using vulgar vitriolic subjectivity. I don't think the blind hypocrisy is actual irony, but it's laughably close. I have no interest in either Gallagher brother, or the music of Oasis. But the article served to reinforce my belief that the vast majority of opinion based communication serves two extremely egomaniacal purposes, to garner the kinship and applause of like minded individuals to bolster the author's sense of importance and popularity. And secondly, purely as the intellectual equivalent of a pub fist fight, if I construct what I feel is a better argument than yours then I must be superior.

His use of the phrase "charmless c*nt" became a literary snake consuming itself tail first.

I've always liked What's the Story but that's about it as far as Oasis goes, save the odd track here and there. I was and still am a big fan of Kula Shaker though, having dined out on their first two albums a million times or so back in the day. Their third and fourth albums are pretty enjoyable as well.

Neil Kulkarni used to write for the NME I believe.

He definitely wrote for Melody Maker.

I quite enjoyed the first two Oasis albums at the time but I don’t think I’ve listened to them this century. I regularly listen to Think Tank by Blur. I saw both bands after being given tickets by other people, they were both very poor, the Oasis gig was at Milton Keynes bowl, pints of piss were being thrown by the crowd.

As with a lot of bands those that followed them at the time will continue to love them forever, leaving those of us with more discerning tastes to continue to hunt out the good stuff.

Cheers BB

As with a lot of bands those that followed them at the time will continue to love them forever, leaving those of us with more discerning tastes to continue to hunt out the good stuff.

Rather patronising don't you think? Who are you to say your tastes are more discerning than others? Student like musical snobbery right there! Some of us can like music from many different genres and eras all at the same time. Is my taste any less discerning than yours because I listen to Oasis or trance or classical or trip hop or jazz funk or.... and so on!

Take it as you see fit, what I was getting at is that many people don’t seek out anything new, they stick with what they get into in their formative years. I have friends who never moved on from Oasis or The Stone Roses, it’s all they are interested in listening to.

Cheers BB

Rather patronising don't you think? Who are you to say your tastes are more discerning than others? Student like musical snobbery right there! Some of us can like music from many different genres and eras all at the same time. Is my taste any less discerning than yours because I listen to Oasis or trance or classical or trip hop or jazz funk or.... and so on!
This thread has reeked of snobbery from start to finish - good post.

Brilliant. I've always actually liked Noel despite his mouthy antics. A clever guy underneath all the bravado. Speaks his mind and says things most celebs would be afraid to say. I think its all a bit of a parody really. Him and his brother shouldn't be taken seriously.
They are playing a great game with the public.

I've always loathed the Gallagher brothers for all the usual reasons, and of course their music is tedious, derivative, plodding etc etc, which grates all the more because of the absurd hype surrounding it. But I'm ashamed to say the first couple of albums are an occasional guilty pleasure of mine. I know they're awful but, probably no more than once per year, I can't help myself. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but probably has to do with being a student at the time.

I've always loathed the Gallagher brothers for all the usual reasons, and of course their music is tedious, derivative, plodding etc etc, which grates all the more because of the absurd hype surrounding it. But I'm ashamed to say the first couple of albums are an occasional guilty pleasure of mine. I know they're awful but, probably no more than once per year, I can't help myself. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but probably has to do with being a student at the time.

I love their first two albums and probably also listen to them once a year. Not sure what to make of that!

Last edited:
This Pitchfork ‘top 50 Britpop albums’ list just popped up on my Arsebook feed for some inexplicable reason. As ever all lists by anyone are best ignored, but to my mind they are stretching the definition way beyond breaking point by including stuff like Saint Etienne’s Foxbase Alpha, The La’s (who I suspect would be irritated by the categorisation), and they just break reality entirely by not only including The Boos’ Giant Steps, but worse than that sticking it way down in the listing. I suspect Radiohead would be more than a bit perplexed by their appearance too, and Edwin Collins. I guess it means there aren’t 50 Britpop albums, let alone 50 good ones.

Oasis are not a patch on Weller if yer after Retro Boogie from a bloody good songwriter.

Yes he's on the BBC at the moment.

This Pitchfork ‘top 50 Britpop albums’ list just popped up on my Arsebook feed for some inexplicable reason. As ever all lists by anyone are best ignored, but to my mind they are stretching the definition way beyond breaking point by including stuff like Saint Etienne’s Foxbase Alpha, The La’s (who I suspect would be irritated by the categorisation), and they just break reality entirely by not only including The Boos’ Giant Steps, but worse than that sticking it way down in the listing. I suspect Radiohead would be more than a bit perplexed by their appearance too, and Edwin Collins. I guess it means there aren’t 50 Britpop albums, let alone 50 good ones.

Did they include the entire Blur and Oasis discographies?

God that list is awful, more 50 great indie albums of the 90s than anything else, certainly not britpop.

advertisement

Back