advertisement

Music Books

I’m trying to work out whether I ought to buy it or not based on the pfm perceptions of the authors of the mini-crits on the cover. I think Julian Barnes got a thumbs-up at some point, maybe for that book with the picture of The Raft of the Medusa inside, the name of which escapes me. Dominic Sandbrook was definitely thumbs-down - I think he once wrote an article for a Tory Tabloid - which leaves Alexander Armstrong. I’m not sure if the pfm massive has expressed an opinion on him yet, but personally I think it he should be charged with crimes against singing. So two to one against - but I like the Beatles, and Craig Brown, so sod that.
Damn the internet. Three buttons clicked and it’s on the way.

I am under strict orders to buy no more books for the foreseeable future, so have to content myself with reading the reviews in the LRB. Quite often that's all that's needed. For non-fiction, if I can't understand the review I'd probably not have much chance of understanding the book itself, whilst many of the fiction reviews consist mainly of the reviewer giving away the plot. Add to those the stuff that I'm not particularly interested in, and abstinence is relatively easy.

Indeed.. Dominic Sandbrook is a prick.. but surely even he can't be wrong all of the time?

I don't think it's so much him being wrong, as over-simplifying things. Clearly all history writing is to some extent a simplification, but when it's history of the times one's actually lived through, the exclusions and glossing-overs become more obvious.

I am under strict orders to buy no more books for the foreseeable future, so have to content myself with reading the reviews in the LRB.
When wine-loving friends are put under similar orders they find they only last until they hear the words ‘have we got any more of that one that I really like?’ A negative answer and restrictions are immediately removed. I suppose it’s a little trickier with books.

I am reminded of a P G Wodehouse short story:

'Bingo' I cried, deeply moved. 'you must act. You must assert yourself. You must put your foot down. You must take a strong stand. You must be master in the home'

He looked at me. A long, strange look.

'You aren't married, are you, Bertie?'

'You know I'm not.'

'I should have guessed it, anyway.'

Will he ever finish?
Volume 2 in 2023 ‘maybe, but most likely afterwards’ according to his website.

So Vol 1 begun in 2003, issued 2013
Vol 2 begun in 2013, issued let’s say 2025
Vol 3 begun in 2025, by extrapolation issued maybe 2039 when Mark will be 81. And maybe more worryingly I could be 83.

https://www.marklewisohn.net/volume-2/

I think it’s a slow bicycle race between his Beatles and Simon Callow’s Orson Welles biogs. At least I’ve got two volumes of the latter I haven’t read yet.

I’ve been torn between getting this or The History of Jazz by Ted Gioia
Hello Saxondale, I have got the Oxford book and while it is scholarly and well written, there is a LOT in there that I am not interested in such as trad, dixie etc and not that much on 50's, 60's and fusion etc which is my flavour. I have not got the Ted book you mentioned but I do have "How to Listen to Jazz" by him which is one of the best I have read for a while as it explains so much regarding styles and techniques by the masters together with track details so that relative novices like me can listen along for the relevant points in his essays.
Trouble with all these volumes is that you inevitably end up spending ££££'s on source material you have not already got!

Hello Saxondale, I have got the Oxford book and while it is scholarly and well written, there is a LOT in there that I am not interested in such as trad, dixie etc and not that much on 50's, 60's and fusion etc which is my flavour. I have not got the Ted book you mentioned but I do have "How to Listen to Jazz" by him which is one of the best I have read for a while as it explains so much regarding styles and techniques by the masters together with track details so that relative novices like me can listen along for the relevant points in his essays.
Trouble with all these volumes is that you inevitably end up spending ££££'s on source material you have not already got!
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I know what you mean - some books simply have too much information (for the novice I mean). And yes, it can often lead to a second mortgage.

Bought this on the strength of massive reviews and awards. Not read it yet.

9780008340032.jpg

Thanks for that, arrived today and looks good. And the hardback cost me £8 delivered as opposed to today’s price of over £14, so result.

I don't think it's so much him being wrong, as over-simplifying things. Clearly all history writing is to some extent a simplification, but when it's history of the times one's actually lived through, the exclusions and glossing-overs become more obvious.

And he is the resident historian for the Daily Mail generally putting a jingoisitic spin on just about anything , often with a dash of mock outrage. His prose is pretty tabloid as well.

I have a LRB subscription but, as you say, there are times when the review is all you need. I tend to follow up books by their writers rather than the books they write about. I'm mid way through Andrew O'Hagan's Mayflies , a novel partly set in the 80s music scene in Manchester and includes a GMEx show with "“the Fall, New Order, the Smiths … a nuclear ****fest of musical talent”. Its good so far.....

Some years ago I was required to attend an obscure public library in St Helens on a weekly basis, for half a day.. to run a 'Drop In' Career Guidance facility for Adults.
Very few bothered to turn up despite my skills, magnetic personality etc.. so I was often reduced to prowling the bookshelves..
I found a small book which..as I recall was some sort of history of R&B in the UK, starting in the 1950s.. possibly earlier. There was discussion of the music, and the dress.. There were contributions from Paul Weller. Beyond that I recall little except thinking what an interesting book it was.
Any ideas what it might have been?

I've been enjoying dipping into this 300 page Thurston Moore discography. It's an unusual approach - for each release there's a paragraph of text from one or more people involved - musicians, engineers, record label owners etc. giving some background to the recording.

I have a LOT of Thurston Moore recordings but I'm discovering all kinds of stuff I'd missed!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1785581368/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just finished Tracey Thorn’s book My Rock ‘n’ Roll Friend. Enjoyed it v much but I think you probably need to be a Go-Betweens fan to appreciate it. Which I am. Two Wimps and a Witch!

Bought this on the strength of massive reviews and awards. Not read it yet.

9780008340032.jpg

I really have been enjoying this very much. I’ve just got to the slightly barbed chapter introducing Yoko and burst out laughing when I read that the responses to her request on Twitter in 2019 for ‘advice that will make our lives heal and shine’ included

‘Avoid Tesco Value Rice Krispies. They are really horrible.’

and

‘Don’t split up the Beatles when they have a few more albums left in them.’

advertisement

Back