advertisement

Rega planar 3 or old lp12

All the Regas I've heard sound the same: detailed, slightly unrealistic, forced timing and to me ears an inability to deal with musical flow and dynamics.

This is a really interesting description, and it nicely puts into words some of the doubts and inchoate feelings I've sometimes had when comparing my P3 with the recollections I have of vinyl in other contexts. E.g. a flatmate's Thorens (with Quad and Rogers), many years ago.

I suspect that if the Linn has a problem (and I’m pretty convinced some do) it likely won’t be shown up with a steady-state test tone signal typically used for w&f measurement. To my mind the LP12 type deck (i.e. everything descended from an AR XA) has two flaws, a the subchassis can move slightly in a rotational manner, and b) most of the mass is above the centre of gravity so it is not an especially stable structure. It is likely sensitive both to ‘transient wow’, i.e. a highly modulated passage will attempt to rotate the subchassis clockwise with more force than no modulation, and secondly an eccentrically trimmed record, of which there are many, can have enough offset mass to set up a very slight oscillation in the subchassis as the centre of gravity is so high. A lot of the LP12s issues can be addresses by a good solid wall shelf if you have a suspended floor too. You only need to look at the bass cones moving in and out in many systems to know the deck isn’t dealing with footfall etc correctly, and this can translate into pitch issues due to the subchassis movement.

That said I do really like the LP12. One of the two or three best decks I’ve owned for sure and one I could happily live with again. I’d have it on a wall shelf though!
Philips long ago employed a logical solution to lateral sub-chassis instability in their 202 Electronic series. A lateral spring was employed opposite side from the pulley which could be adjusted to laterally balance the suspension. These decks could still be a bit unstable at 90º to this line though, so perhaps they should have employed two such springs in an equilateral triangle pattern with the pulley.

spring-counteract.jpg

P.S. Didn't someone on here experiment with lateral tension wires on Sondek?

Philips long ago employed a logical solution to lateral sub-chassis instability in their 202 Electronic series. A lateral spring was employed opposite side from the pulley which could be adjusted to laterally balance the suspension. These decks could still be a bit unstable at 90º to this line though, so perhaps they should have employed two such springs in an equilateral triangle pattern with the pulley.

spring-counteract.jpg

I seem to remember it was pieces of cotton thread taped on :)

Craig can't add much from a technical point of view.
Thought I would chip in seeing it was a Philips 202 electronic deck.
My late father had one when i was a young teenager so the rose tinted glasses are on.It brought back happy memories of playing records on it.
By 15 the HIFI bug had bitten and I pursauded him to buy a Dual 505 which was an improvement.
I remember the 202 was well made and had wood side cheeks on the sides.

spring-counteract.jpg

I seem to remember it was pieces of cotton thread taped on :)

Craig can't add much from a technical point of view.
Thought I would chip in seeing it was a Philips 202 electronic deck.
My late father had one when i was a young teenager so the rose tinted glasses are on.It brought back happy memories of playing records on it.
By 15 the HIFI bug had bitten and I pursauded him to buy a Dual 505 which was an improvement.
I remember the 202 was well made and had wood side cheeks on the sides.
They were lovely looking things, IMO.

7d1645ec-99f4-4ef9-b0e7-21b436768c35.jpg

The new P3s are excellent. clever engineering, good bearing, great arm. Pair one with a Neo PSU and an Audio-Technica 500 or 700 series cartridge and you have an excellent fuss-free deck. Personally I would buy a Technics 1200GR, but if the Rega suits your needs / aesthetic preferences better go for it. I personally wouldn't bother with the LP12.

advertisement

Back