advertisement

Rega planar 3 or old lp12

Some Canadians (performers, not cheeses, although that last one is pretty close):

Burton Camembert

Glenn Gouda

Chèvre Dion

Scratch a Mexican singer's full name and you'll find a cheese in there someplace...

Jesús Emmental Arturo Acha Martinez
I was going to put Manchego on the end there, but I didn't want to be disrespectful of Jesús' family.

All the Regas I've heard sound the same: detailed, slightly unrealistic, forced timing and to me ears an inability to deal with musical flow and dynamics.

I wonder if wow and flutter measurements are not granular enough to detect what we’re hearing.

I suspect that if the Linn has a problem (and I’m pretty convinced some do) it likely won’t be shown up with a steady-state test tone signal typically used for w&f measurement. To my mind the LP12 type deck (i.e. everything descended from an AR XA) has two flaws, a the subchassis can move slightly in a rotational manner, and b) most of the mass is above the centre of gravity so it is not an especially stable structure. It is likely sensitive both to ‘transient wow’, i.e. a highly modulated passage will attempt to rotate the subchassis clockwise with more force than no modulation, and secondly an eccentrically trimmed record, of which there are many, can have enough offset mass to set up a very slight oscillation in the subchassis as the centre of gravity is so high. A lot of the LP12s issues can be addresses by a good solid wall shelf if you have a suspended floor too. You only need to look at the bass cones moving in and out in many systems to know the deck isn’t dealing with footfall etc correctly, and this can translate into pitch issues due to the subchassis movement.

That said I do really like the LP12. One of the two or three best decks I’ve owned for sure and one I could happily live with again. I’d have it on a wall shelf though!

I don’t spin records as much as I used to, CD is my main format these days but whenever I do play records I always enjoy them. Speed issues are non-existent to me, far more noticeable on my old P2.

advertisement

Back