advertisement

Motorbikes wtf ?

The electric motorcycle is a scary proposition. A vehicle that can do 0-100 in 5 seconds that you can’t hear coming.

Does freedom only start at 70mph?

I get the liberty people will feel on a bike, two wheels can weave through traffic but I object to the silly speeds & risk taking.

No it doesn't of course. It's like risk - there's a continuum. The level of risk changes constantly, and doesn't go from inherently 'safe' at 69mph to dangerous at 71mph - no matter what many out there would have you believe.

By way of example - and I quoted this on one of the bike threads on here - I had until recently a vintage Honda 450. It went well for its age, but the drum brakes on it were pretty poor. I had more near misses on that thing than my modern Triumph. The vintage bike would peak out about 90-95mph. The Triumph could easily exceed that in second gear - and has (imo) much bigger safety reserves at any speed than did its older sibling. In certain circumstances riding the older Honda at 65mph would have been much more hazardous than riding the modem bike at 75mph.

As a man who has descended the Galibier on a pushbike btw (and I say this with admiration, not with any sarky intent) I'm pretty sure you'll have a good handle on adjusting speed to the prevailing conditions and limitations of both yourself and your chosen steed :)

No it doesn't of course. It's like risk - there's a continuum. The level of risk changes constantly, and doesn't go from inherently 'safe' at 69mph to dangerous at 71mph - no matter what many out there would have you believe.

By way of example - and I quoted this on one of the bike threads on here - I had until recently a vintage Honda 450. It went well for its age, but the drum brakes on it were pretty poor. I had more near misses on that thing than my modern Triumph. The vintage bike would peak out about 90-95mph. The Triumph could easily exceed that in second gear - and has (imo) much bigger safety reserves at any speed than did its older sibling. In certain circumstances riding the older Honda at 65mph would have been much more hazardous than riding the modem bike at 75mph.

As a man who has descended the Galibier on a pushbike btw (and I say this with admiration, not with any sarky intent) I'm pretty sure you'll have a good handle on adjusting speed to the prevailing conditions and limitations of both yourself and your chosen steed :)

Good post:)

I'd go further and say that I've ridden older machines that overall are less safe at 65mph than my CBR1l00XX at 100mph and very obviously so from the riders seat perspective.

Conditions also play such a huge part in it and many a time I've been cruising at say 95 with bursts up to 120 and then the weather has turned really shitty with 50m visibility and 1/2" of water on the road so I've gone right down to 50mph in inside lane.... only to see idiots in cars (often a certain Teutonic brand) continue at 90+

I suppose the problem is that those who speed generally do not have the common sense to adjust to the conditions; the number of memorials on the A57 attest to that.

Descending the Galibier is bloody scary especially when you are a relatively inexperienced rider as I was back then. The yaks which wander around the road don’t help either.

We have a biker family in the next road , They all use the road I live in as a cut through to the main road , No 1 big bad biker uses the road as Sant Pod , As soon as he enters the road its MAX out the throttle and flies down the road at what must be 60 / 70 mph , Oh and he has to have the noisiest exhaust on the planet , Partner has a 125 with what sounds like no exhaust at all , I have tried to wave him down on 2 occasions , First time no reaction , Second time He gave me the middle finger , Now he waits until he is level with my house then gives it large , Also he must have vision problems as the road is residential it's clearly signed at 20 mph , Go figure o_O

Now he waits until he is level with my house then gives it large

Imagine how unlucky he’d be if a slippery substance found its way onto that particular piece of road…

Or there’s always the hammer and frozen sausages tactic ;)

We live in hope - but these things take years to work through.

There are fewer (maybe) noisy kids with fat exhausts stuck on Vauxhall Novas these days. Some loud Honda Civics around.

We have a biker family in the next road , They all use the road I live in as a cut through to the main road , No 1 big bad biker uses the road as Sant Pod , As soon as he enters the road its MAX out the throttle and flies down the road at what must be 60 / 70 mph , Oh and he has to have the noisiest exhaust on the planet , Partner has a 125 with what sounds like no exhaust at all , I have tried to wave him down on 2 occasions , First time no reaction , Second time He gave me the middle finger , Now he waits until he is level with my house then gives it large , Also he must have vision problems as the road is residential it's clearly signed at 20 mph , Go figure o_O

Can't you borrow a stinger from plod?

I suspect the noise cameras will be as effective as speed cameras are at reducing speed.

A common sense and selfishness detector next though please.

advertisement

Back