advertisement

Paul McCartney venerated

41. In the mid-sixties, McCartney was throwing off brilliant songs like a Catherine wheel throws sparks. “I can hear a whole song in one chord. In fact, I think you can hear a whole song in one note, if you listen hard enough,” he said. Even after meeting the demands of The Beatles’ absurd recording schedule, he still had spare capacity. He wrote Step Inside Love for Cilla Black, a friend since her days as a coat check girl at the Cavern. In 1967 - the year of Sergeant Pepper - Cilla needed a theme song for her TV show, McCartney obliged. He took a crack at a Bacharach-style bossanova of considerable harmonic and rhythmic complexity – why not? (Here is the beautiful demo he made with Cilla). After Cilla requested extra verses so it could be a single, McCartney took his guitar to the BBC Theatre, where her show was recorded, to write them there. Greeting his old friend, he said, "You look tired, love," which became the first line of a new verse.

I’ve not heard a lot of Paul’s solo work but I think I’ll be able to manage without the rest of it, Band on the Run was fun but mostly he leaves me cold. I understand he has a massive following so he must be doing something right but as I say, not for me. George released nowhere near as much but I would take his output over John’s or Paul’s any day.
Btw the article mentions Paul’s bass playing on Taxman but wasn’t it his lead solo people got most excited about.

He wrote 'Things we said today', one of the greatest songs ever written, utterly perfect & tossed it onto the 2nd side of HDN; didn't even make the film. That's the key difference between him & a lot of also rans.

Yeah but "The Frog Chorus", "Cook of the House", "Uncle Albert"... ;)

Love McCartney, his fireman stuff is challenging and wonderful, he’s got so many different musical styles, can play any instrument and much as I like Lennon PM is king.

That Hoffner bass must be one of the most valuable ever made, he has been called the worlds best more than once, tho personally I think James Jameson was the best ever.

Only thing macca did wrong was not be John Lennon, he cannot win a battle for hearts against a saint. Even tho IMO a greater talent.
Then he made mistake of marrying a American with mind of her own, brits seem to resent his love life, hence his obsession with privacy for his family.
Prob not easy trying to have a outgoing lifestyle when two of your closest friends were murdered.
In interviews he seems honest enuf, bit cocky but hell if I was him I’d be a bit full of myself.

Artists who are miserable & moody are always seen as more important/real etc.

Lennon was the only one who could say, “that’s a bit shit Paul’, he doesn’t have the best filter but that applies to many.

"Egypt Station" is a late return to form- definitely bears repeated listening.

Have a look for the "Another Kind Of Mind" podcasts, acquired taste perhaps but a very pro-Macca look at the Beatles.

I remember him performing Mull Of Kintyre on TOTP Christmas Day episode all those years ago as a nipper and never really noticed him again tbh then a few months ago my wife was watching one of those music video channels and that same performance came on and I really enjoyed watching it. I think I’m going soft.

Only thing macca did wrong was not be John Lennon, he cannot win a battle for hearts against a saint. Even tho IMO a greater talent.
Then he made mistake of marrying a American with mind of her own, brits seem to resent his love life,....................

Of course John didn't suffer the bad press of marrying a woman with a mind of her own :D

advertisement

Back