advertisement

Anti Woke movement grows

I am definitely for more social justice and I try to act accordingly when interacting with people, but surely I don't always succeed, and all too often I look for myself first. But that's a lot of people, and wearing a woke t-shirt, or shouting woke stuff on the web, will not change anything anywhere. The term has become meaningless anyway, so if ever, I would wear a t-shirt with something more concrete, like "Put high-profile bankers in prison". Again, me wearing it would help no-one, but if Roger Federer did (especially so as he is from the same country as the bankers I am talking about), it would probably have more weight

Sorry, but the argument from T-shirt’s doesn’t hold up. Surely, if you want an idea to grow, getting as many people as possible to wear a t shirt as possible has to be a good idea. Getting someone famous to wear it would be a good idea, but not sure why you can’t wear the t shirt just because you’re a pathetic individual just like me whose voice is small but feel this is important

My t shirt arrives tomorrow https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08YSTHVFV/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Last year I commented to a friend that ‘taking the knee’ would be unlikely to survive intact with fans present.
Looks like I’m right; personally feel those who are sympathetic don’t like being lectured and racists use it as a opportunity to create trouble.
Is there a better way?

Yes. We see who boo's it and lock them up. Jobs a gud 'n

I am definitely for more social justice and I try to act accordingly when interacting with people, but surely I don't always succeed, and all too often I look for myself first. But that's a lot of people, and wearing a woke t-shirt, or shouting woke stuff on the web, will not change anything anywhere.

I don’t agree at all. By making a statement either passively by wearing a t-shirt or actively by posting coherent arguments online etc you can then change minds. I don’t know if you’ve ever worn a political statement as a t-shirt, but it can start conversations, and if you are articulate and make your case well you can change minds. Online the reach is obviously vastly greater. For decades now I’ve had a very specific ‘green’ attitude to second hand hi-fi ownership. I started a website and 20+ years on it has unquestionably changed some minds and got a lot of people thinking in different ways. It is all just communication at the end of the day and it works.

PS As an 18 year old my very first proper job was as a trainee psychiatric nurse at a big Victorian mental hospital. This was 1981-2 right at the point Thatcher was waging her war on the NHS and there was a lot of industrial action. I remember going on a huge national protest march in That London, I had a placard etc. This was a very popular dispute, the public were behind us. The number of total strangers who offered support, bought me drinks etc was astonishing. So many I can’t remember much about the day other than it was great fun! Again it is basic communication, and to my eyes #BLM, Extinction Rebellion etc are just the same. Sure, we ultimately lost against Thatcher. A huge number of mentally ill that would once have proper institutional care are now freezing to death in shop doorways etc every year, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a fight worth fighting. I’d still like to fight it and starting a conversation with a t-shirt slogan or whatever is a good way to change a mind.

Maybe have a listen to John Barnes - R4, Today, this morning.

Seriously bad attitiude to my mind in many ways in the past, but has always spoken straight sense.

Maybe have a listen to John Barnes - R4, Today, this morning.

Seriously bad attitiude to my mind in many ways in the past, but has always spoken straight sense.

Can you summarise his perspective?

Yes, for fuel burned in the skies and workers very much under pressure. But personally I order sometimes at Aliexpress so I’m no better :rolleyes:

To token jestures that in themselves achieve nothing, such as "taking the knee"

Personally, I think you can dismiss it as such if you view it on its own but it operates against a much larger backdrop. Thankfully, in my eyes, young people are becoming much more aware of global injustice and will be the driving force for much change while many will regale against it, with hoped-for futility.

young people are becoming much more aware of global injustice and will be the driving force for much change while many will regale against it, with hoped-for futility.

And "taking the knee" will make any significant contribution to that?

I am with John Barnes.

It is all so much like throwing statues around, removing paintings, aplogising for things that people have no connection at all with that happened several generations ago and before etc. Totally empty jestures.

I am with John Barnes.

I personally think it does: we are discussing it now, and the consequences of it and the discussions around it.
I imagined that you would be with John Barnes; you are, of course, entitled to your own opinion.

I imagined that you would be with John Barnes; you are, of course, entitled to your own opinion.

I think that far more than anything else all this bollox baits, taunts and inflames the racists and nationalists, way, way, way, way, way more than it has any positive effect in making for a better society.

Football, being so tribal, is about the very worst place to make grand and futile, in terms of their intention, gestures.

I am with John Barnes.

I have not listened to the program, but in general I support any activity that promts and generates discussion. We win over racism long term with conversation, understanding and generational change. I have talked more about racism with friends, young adults and acquaintences due to the BLM movement and taking a knee than in any other time in my life. Make it become socially unacceptable, like smoking or drink driving and the attitudes of the majority will change but it will take time and some will never change.

The impact from NFL, Basketball, F1, Football athletes taking a knee has raised the issue considerably higher than blanket news coverage in a regular news format ever would done. So good job Colin!

I think that far more than anything else all this bollox baits, taunts and inflames the racists and nationalists, way, way, way, way, way more than it has any positive effect in making for a better society.

Football, being so tribal, is about the very worst place to make grand and futile, in terms of their intention, gestures.

And because football has its 'fair share' of racists and nationalists it is the perfect arena, in my view. You don't need to refer to it as 'all this bollox' as both sides of the debate are worth hearing, respectfully.

And because football has its 'fair share' of racists and nationalists it is the perfect arena, in my view.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOL

What planet are you on?

How long have rangers and celtic been at odds? How long will it continue?

advertisement

Back