advertisement

The new garage...

hifilover1979

Bigger than you...
We've had a new garage built; block build, rubber/fiberglass roof and k-rend exterior...

Damn shame it's not for my BMW touring; it does look like it's unhappy with the decision o_O

Haha :D

I'm not painting the floor until the concrete has properly cured; but does anyone have recommendations for flooring that a) isn't going to cost the earth and b) doesn't fall apart within months

Asking for real life experience; not just suggestions of what to look at...

I am considering 4mm rubber matting that can be cut to the exact length and I'd need 3 runs of it; but it's how to keep it down and not curling back up etc

What are you using the garage for? Is it just for storing a car or will you be working in there (cars/bikes/woodwork... whatever). VArious flooring options available but probably depend on your use case.

Standard floor paint (after curing) is OK but will lift especially where a car is sat. Cheapest option though.

Or you can use interlocking tiles, simple to install and not too pricey.

Best option for longevity is epoxy flooring or porcelain commercial tiles, but more pricey.

Yes, I have used all of these and my preferred finish is the commercial porcelain tiles.

What are you using the garage for? Is it just for storing a car or will you be working in there (cars/bikes/woodwork... whatever). VArious flooring options available but probably depend on your use case.

Standard floor paint (after curing) is OK but will lift especially where a car is sat. Cheapest option though.

Or you can use interlocking tiles, simple to install and not too pricey.

Best option for longevity is epoxy flooring or porcelain commercial tiles, but more pricey.

Yes, I have used all of these and my preferred finish is the commercial porcelain tiles.

Thanks; it won't be used for either of the cars, unfortunately

It will be used for some white goods (fridge, freezers and tumble dryer etc) and also my work bench, various tools & tool kits; a roller tool cubby and I'll be training in there also. However, I'm midst getting wood & rubber matting ready for building a DIY olympic-style weightlifting platform; to stop the floor from getting damaged but also to dampen the noise. I won't be lifting any of the heavy stones in there; they have their new home in the woods at the bottom of the garden :)

I've put this down in one half of my garage to keep my new toy's tyres nice and dust free. https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Auto...r-75-x-17ft-23-x-52M-Floor-Protector/p/112281

Seems nice and sturdy and, as a bonus, it fitted the available space perfectly so I didn't have to cut it at all. One tip, though - don't collect it on your own. The complete roll weights a bloody ton!

Thanks; very similar to what I'm looking at, but via a local company that'll deliver it.

But lifting heavy stuff is second nature to me ;)

Depends what you are going to do with said floor, but me - Regupol of the relevant sort and its correct water based adhesive. IE - do not seal concrete floor first. They do one sort for gyms etc, sturdy, quiet, and nice underfoot.
EDIT - I was typing as your post went up. Definitely regupol then.
https://flooringwarehousedirect.co.uk/product-category/gym-flooring/

Thats just one place that does it in the UK. Have used them a fair bit for my projects. Good to deal with.

Find the right product for you and shop around a bit.
CMS Danskin are a good resource as well.
https://www.cmsdanskin.co.uk/gymnasiums-sports-flooring/fx-g-and-fx-g-weightlayer/

Depends what you are going to do with said floor, but me - Regupol of the relevant sort and its correct water based adhesive. IE - do not seal concrete floor first. They do one sort for gyms etc, sturdy, quiet, and nice underfoot.
EDIT - I was typing as your post went up. Definitely regupol then.
https://flooringwarehousedirect.co.uk/product-category/gym-flooring/

Thats just one place that does it in the UK. Have used them a fair bit for my projects. Good to deal with.

Find the right product for you and shop around a bit.
CMS Danskin are a good resource as well.
https://www.cmsdanskin.co.uk/gymnasiums-sports-flooring/fx-g-and-fx-g-weightlayer/

Thanks; but far too expensive

I'm after more of a general floor covering; as already stated, I'm building a lifting platform for my weightlifting/powerlifting, so that'll cater for that fully.... It's the rest of the floor around it I just want to cover to keep the dust at bay and offer a bit more sound damping etc

If you are going to stand for any length of tme you need something easier on the feet and legs than tiles or concrete. I recomment the interlocking anti fatigue tiles and used them for years in my garage workshop. Halfords have a nice 6 piece pack for £14 that covers 1.2M by 1.8M 12mm thickand can be interlocked to cover a whole floor.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/gara...ack-floor-mat-set---120cm-x-180cm-336870.html

I used to use a similar products from Axminster but it is much more expensive

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-anti-fatigue-matting-pkt-4-100222

I have painted my garage floor with decent quality floor paint and its been great . Best option and flat . With a rubber threshold easily available from toolstation

Thanks; it won't be used for either of the cars, unfortunately

It will be used for some white goods (fridge, freezers and tumble dryer etc) and also my work bench, various tools & tool kits; a roller tool cubby and I'll be training in there also. However, I'm midst getting wood & rubber matting ready for building a DIY olympic-style weightlifting platform; to stop the floor from getting damaged but also to dampen the noise. I won't be lifting any of the heavy stones in there; they have their new home in the woods at the bottom of the garden :)

OK no vehicles makes this easier. If it was me I’d paint it with standard floor paint such as Leyland (after curing) as this will give a reasonable finish and eliminate dust. It’s also dead easy to apply so you can do it yourself. Then I’d go with cutting42’s suggestion of anti fatigue matting where you need it. Job done and not too costly.

Paint it with an epoxy based system.. I did mine and it was fantastic. (Moved house now, need to do it again as the new garage floor is shite!)

I’ll see if I can find a pic and a product.

xYPJbDo.jpg

I have used polystyrene insulation under a standard chipboard floor with great success. Warm, dry, nice to stand on. Quiet too.

Thanks folks

Some aren't reading what's been written ;)

I will be painting the floor once the concrete has cured; something similar to what @Rug Doc has said I think

But for now; whilst it's all still raw I'll probably put the rubber rolled floor down, similar to what @Beobloke has suggested and that I'd already looked into.

The weightlifting platform I'll be building will be 4 sheets of marine ply and 16mm dense rubber inserts for where the weights will sit/be dropped; that'll be more than enough to protect the floor from damage; rarely do I drop weights from any height, it's more to dampen the sound and overall; for it to all keep the dust down :)

advertisement

Back