advertisement

OK, NOT finally . . . speakers!

Bob Edwards

pfm Member
All -

Well, in for a penny . . .

Thinking about expanding "What did Bob do on his summer vacation" by trying some speakers. Very happy with my Monitor Audio GX300s, but if I'm going to play all summer speakers would be an interesting addition.

Thinking of the following:

Celestion Ditton 44
Epos ES-14
Celestion SL700
Rogers LS7t
Rogers Studio 1A

All are $1k USD or less. And I know I'd need stands - the only speaker stands I have at the moment are ku-stone stands attached to my Linn Helix 2s, which are currently stored.

Pros/cons of each?

Celestion SL700 :Very nice sounding overall and to me, one of the rare metal tweeter that’s really sweet. Human voices are breathtaking with this speaker. They are rather bass shy though so no good for a rock fan like me.

Epos ES-14 : Here you go ! Very capable and good balance overall, can rock hard with proper amplifier but not as detailed and transparent as the SL700.

But eh, this is according to some listening sessions I had many years ago and they were driven by a Naim 42/110.

I had some Rogers LS7t speakers in the mid nineties, and they sounded nice but rather bright, I think they had metal tweeters (?) - I blew a woofer on one of them and took out the tweeters and stuck them in something else. I still have the cabinets/one working woofer, and may have the duff one as well? Been in the attic for decades.
The brightness may have been the amp/source at the time, in the end they didn’t have enough low end for me. Pleasing to look at, don’t like the tweeter.

A well preserved pair of Kef 103.2's will knock all of those into a cocked hat for less money. Any flavour of the Spendor SP2 will be a better speaker than the ES14, too.

Ah! Will keep an eye open. How about the KEF 103/3?
Haven't heard a pair, but like a lot of the smaller Kef Reference speakers from '85 to '90 or so, they MUST be used with the correct Kube EQ/crossover box if they are to perform to spec. Unfortunately, these come up for sale far more seldom than the speakers.

Haven't heard a pair, but like a lot of the smaller Kef Reference speakers from '85 to '90 or so, they MUST be used with the correct Kube EQ/crossover box if they are to perform to spec. Unfortunately, these come up for sale far more seldom than the speakers.

The post offering them says they come with the KUBE, so I'll email him again . . .

Rogers LS7T - the tweeter seems a little "exposed" sometimes but otherwise it's a very even-handed, neutral speaker.

advertisement

Back