advertisement

Oasis eviscerated

****ing awful band. Up there with Coldplay, U2 and Imagine Dragons in my personal musical hell-hall of derivative, self-important mediocrity and sadly explicable popularity. Seems like he's realised, like John Lydon, the only way anyone will pay him attention is by vomiting up reactionary bullshit. Which, by happy coincidence, is also a good description of his best known recordings.

(the above was cut and paste from a conversation I was having with a like minded soul on facebook yesterday)

Oasis were always safe pedestrian 'Mondeo Man' dad rock. I don't agree the same thing applies to Britpop as a whole. Bands like Pulp and Suede were a bit art school and did have a touch of, er, 'poofiness' (as Neil puts it).

Britpop is one of those meaningless catch-all descriptions that cover a multitude of sins. It basically means any British group recording rock/pop music in the mid-90s. (I'm not aware of any solo Britpop acts. Maybe Paul Weller).

Bands like Pulp and Suede were a bit art school and did have a touch of, er, 'poofiness' (as Neil puts it).

Pulp’s first album was way back in 1983, so I’d file them somewhere else, certainly nowhere near Oasis. Suede and Blur were far more middle-class art school, though of the lot of them Pulp are the only one I ever bought anything by. That alone probably means they weren’t Brit Pop!

I bought 'Parklife'. I think I played it once.

Here are the immortal words of the mighty Mark E Smith, on Man City and Oasis:

'I used to stand on the Kippax but one of the reasons I stopped going was because of the moaning. Now, when you have to sit down, you can’t escape them. In the Peter Reid days, they’d be winning 2-0 and they’d be saying, “Oh, it'’ll be 3-2...” The thing about the moaners is you know they’re always going to come back. I remember talking to these young City fans before Joe Royle came and they were practically suicidal and I said, “Look, it’s always been like that.” When I started supporting them in 1965, they were bottom of the Second Division. But these kids think City'’s history began with Colin Bell. Just about the only good thing Oasis ever did was to threaten to take over the club. That galvanised people into action and they got this new guy, Bernstein, in like a shot. Now Sky are involved and it could be the downfall of them. Does Murdoch know what he’'s taking on –- 30,000 miserable gets? “Live from Maine Road, it’s Man City v Hartlepool.” Try selling that in America.'

I hated Oasis - especially their boasting of burgling houses around where I lived. Couldn't be bothered with Blur either. I liked some 'brit pop' though - Wild Wood & Stanley Road, Moseley Shoals, Different Class, The Bends, Everything Must Go, Urban Hymns all spring to mind from that era and a bit later. It probably ended with 'Cool Britannia'

Last edited:
Britpop has a lot to answer for. It taught men it was OK to wear shirts over their trouser waistband, for starters (*shudders*).

I never understood why people mentioned The Beatles in the same breath. Much more Status Quo tbh. They had none of the inventiveness and quick-wittedness of the Fabs.

Lot of anger in this thread! I like some of Oasis’ output (mainly the first two-and-a-bit albums). Never saw them live as I didn’t fancy an afternoon in the company of what seemed their typical audience. Also was always frustrated by the fact that, while at times NG could be a fair tunesmith, his lyrics were often bollocks - “sail away with acquiesce”? What?
I would never ‘hate’ any artist or band though - love, like, be disinterested in, laugh at, yes, all those things and more, but hate just seems an out of proportion response, to me.

Mick

I never understood why people mentioned The Beatles in the same breath. Much more Status Quo tbh. They had none of the inventiveness and quick-wittedness of the Fabs.

They had none of the inventiveness and quick-wittedness of Status Quo.

(I should add I'm not averse to abit of early Status Quo, but I would never argue that inventiveness or quick-wittedness to be among their key attributes.)

I would never ‘hate’ any artist or band though - love, like, be disinterested in, laugh at, yes, all those things and more, but hate just seems an out of proportion response, to me.

Kind of how I feel these days tbh. Music is either interesting to me or it's not and if it's not it's easy enough to tune out. Not very punk of me I know!

Ha ha ! I laughed pretty hard at some of those lines.

Unfortunately, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about the brothers G.

Derivative music, a traditional intellect rather than progressive, didn't study at St.Martin's College, and sadly, told-it-like-it-is.

And at times utterly euphoric. It was shit. We knew it was shit, but it could be uplifting shit. WAS uplifting shit, and I defy anyone who has sung along to one of their songs, drunk in a basement bar on karaoke night to say otherwise.

And, if you came from their side of the tracks, for want of a better expression, you could simultaneously feel both shame and pride listening to Oasis in public.

We came from the same place, god help us. Fortunately, we ended up in different places, but blood remains, thicker than water.

Hard to understand the antipathy towards Oasis here. How many of you were teenagers/ early 20’s in the mid-90’s? Comparisons to 60’s bands like the Beatles don’t make sense from the perspective of someone who was young and excited by the music at the time. The Beatles were the band your parents listened to! Oasis (& Blur) brought an energy and sense of anticipation much lacking at the time. Yes, the Gallagher’s were a bunch of w***ers but their music resonated with a certain age group and probably still does (only the first 2 albums?).
I did go to Knebworth in ‘96 and it was an astounding experience. 250,000 people singing along to songs that weren’t actually released yet. You don’t get that very often. And before anyone jumps down my throat I’m now nearly 70 and my experience of the band was from the perspective of selling bucketloads of their records and working with their Record Company.
(Posts reply and waits for explosion to follow :eek:)

Very lightweight, derivative noise. Football singalong tunes.
There speaks a man who has never actually paid any consideration to the guitar parts of Oasis songs. They are actually well crafted songs, very catchy, quite complex compared to the vast majority of similar indie or rock music.

The guitar parts are multi-layered, quite complex at times and the solo guitar playing of Noel in particular is of an exemplary standard. If you don't agree give some of it a go yourself.

I'm happy to admit I like Oasis. They were musically lightyears ahead of most of their contemporaries and mid-90s immitators despite the constant blasting as Kinks/Beatles wannabes- as if they are alone in that or they were simply playing straight covers. I get that you aren't into them and aren't going to spend anytime trying now but they really were musically far far from being lightweight derivative noise. To dismiss Noel's songwriting talent in such a way is a bit ignorant regardless of what you think of some of the odious behaviour.

I didn't buy any Brit-pop, and didn't actively seek it out, but as the one metal head in a school full of chart following fans of shit dance music, it was an absolute delight to see the tide turn away from that crap as sheeple got into Blur, Oasis, Suede, etc. I speak only of a small, captive population, but it really brought back an appreciation for music made with guitars and drums - as opposed loops and computers. Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica it is not, but it's closer than the shit that you had to buy into in order to be as one with the herd.
There was never any discussion of the politics or the attempted social messages involved in the music or espoused by the musicians, so I have no desire to read what they have to say for themselves now. But I have met Damon Albarn a few times, and he seemed a decent enough bloke at the time. I do own a Gorillaz album.

advertisement

Back