advertisement

What are you listening to right now #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a view that that is where the good stuff ends ;)

Although I'm now playing this which I love as it sound tracked a very important period in my romantic life - one of those records you love despite knowing full well its not one of an artist's best

rem-reveal.jpg
I’ve never had a problem with Reveal. But yeah, nothing much after was any good.

Natural Information Society with Evan Parker descension (Out of Our Constrictions)

I've been listening to this on bandcamp for a few weeks; the CD arrived earlier today and has been on rotation. I like the nod to Ascension, and I like the music even more; consistently propulsive, with periodic ecstatic surges (!) - Evan makes an utterly compelling case for the soprano saxophone.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Beatles: Anthology vol 2. Out-takes, studio chat, different versions of stuff from (roughly speaking) 1966-68. Including something no-one needs, an instrumental version of 'Within You Without You'.

The Smiths: The Queen is Dead

The Beatles: Anthology vol 2. Out-takes, studio chat, different versions of stuff from (roughly speaking) 1966-68. Including something no-one needs, an instrumental version of 'Within You Without You'.

It's one of the few Beatles albums I own but there's a lot of gems on there, such as as the progression of "Strawberry Fields" from demo to rough mix or "Sergeant Peppers...(reprise)" which is far superior to the LP version.

Agreed. Ideally, you want to have a remote at hand or be near enough to the CD player so you can skip the less-good bits. As it was, the remote was not working and I was sat too far away to reach the CDP, so I heard the lot. Within You Without You seemed to last an eternity.

I have a bootleg of every extant recording used in the making of Strawberry Fields, starting with Lennon's first home recordings as he works out the tune, ending with take 1 in the studio. I can't listen to it very often, it makes me cry. It's an amazing thing to hear almost every moment of the creation of something so perfect.

I'm quite partial to the odd 'Beatleg' so I thought the Anthology albums were great.

I draw the line at the 32 volumes (most double CDs) of 'Complete Get Back Sessions' though...

I have a bootleg of every extant recording used in the making of Strawberry Fields, starting with Lennon's first home recordings as he works out the tune, ending with take 1 in the studio. I can't listen to it very often, it makes me cry. It's an amazing thing to hear almost every most moment of the creation of something so perfect.

The first time I heard Strawberry Fields on the radio as a 12-year-old, I had a sort of mystical out-of-body experience. It was like music from another planet.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back