advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many vaccinated were there then?

Not the point I am making. There seems to be a widespread belief that this virus cannot transmit outdoors. It can as Liverpool-Madrid and Cheltenham proved. Now we have a far more transmissible variant than back then and lots of people still unvaccinated and a vaccine that is not 100% reliable. 1 in 25 people testing positive right now in the UK have had both doses of the vaccine, that's 300 a day.

Of the 1 in 25 fully vaccinated who test positive I wonder how many are contagious- because PCR tests are extremely sensitive and maybe able to detect COVID at levels below the threshold for contagiousness.

I'm still bleaching everything that comes into the house and I'm getting increasingly pissed off with the number of people who are abandoning all pretence of social distancing and mask wearing.

Yes.. having had both jabs I'm increasingly confident.. or more properly..less anxious...for the time being.. but I'm still being very cautious...

And given the almost total lack of knowledge regarding the durability of vaccine protection.. my faith in it will diminish over time.

It's being so cheerful as keeps me going.... ( Mona Lott. It's That Man Again..aka ITMA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_That_Man_Again )

Quite a few big sporting events coming up, I do hope people do know what they are potentially doing.

Edgbaston has been very well organised, IMV. Social distancing outside, masks on but no social distancing inside(impossible) unless you are in your seat. Cashless event, too.No under 16s allowed in, either.

I might be wrong, but don't you watch cricket outdoors?

Yup.

I think you had to have proof of vaccination or a very recent LFT to be in the Edgbaston crowd.

Yep. I'm doing mine later today. I then have a PCR test to do Sunday and Thursday.

On a different note, this article from the so-called pro government BBC I found interesting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57434493

Not the point I am making. There seems to be a widespread belief that this virus cannot transmit outdoors. It can as Liverpool-Madrid and Cheltenham proved. Now we have a far more transmissible variant than back then and lots of people still unvaccinated and a vaccine that is not 100% reliable. 1 in 25 people testing positive right now in the UK have had both doses of the vaccine, that's 300 a day.

There was also Trump's event on the White House Lawn last summer that infected half of his entourage.

There's Delta all over Birmingham now zooming around the latest map. LFTs haven't protected schools, even in the early days when they were supervised and with Alpha, neither will they work for sport.

Edgbaston has been very well organised, IMV. Social distancing outside, masks on but no social distancing inside(impossible) unless you are in your seat. Cashless event, too.No under 16s allowed in, either.

What's the reason given for the almost complete absence of mask wearing?

Yes the BBC link provided by AndrewC! is a well balanced article which pretty much sums up where I think we are and the best way of us moving forward in the near term.

Yes the BBC link provided by AndrewC! is a well balanced article which pretty much sums up where I think we are and the best way of us moving forward in the near term.

The BBC doesn't understand exponentials either! It's good that delays to step 4 are finally being discussed in public but it was Step 3 that has caused the current problems. We need to withdraw to step 2 and put all efforts into keeping schools going for the next 5 weeks. Then I think we could review and reintroduce step 3 while we wait for vaccine rollout until the end of August, when Delta should be in steep decline.

The BBC doesn't understand exponentials either! It's good that delays to step 4 are finally being discussed in public but it was Step 3 that has caused the current problems. We need to withdraw to step 2 and put all efforts into keeping schools going for the next 5 weeks. Then I think we could review and reintroduce step 3 while we wait for vaccine rollout until the end of August, when Delta should be in steep decline.

Gav, that is simply way too sensible for it to have any notice taken of it, whatsoever..

We shall find out on Monday which way the government in England is going to jump, I presume the other nations have their own timelines.

The sensible thing to do is to continue to monitor hospitalisations before drawing conclusions from extrapolated data.

That'll take longer than next week, that's my point, and the longer you watch the deeper the potential hole. Yesterday's 131 is vastly in excess of the averages around 90 odd that we were seeing last month.

Here's an update on deaths from Delta from PHE

There have been 42 deaths in England of people who were confirmed as having the Delta variant of Covid-19 and who died within 28 days of a positive test. Of this number, 23 were unvaccinated, seven were more than 21 days after their first dose of vaccine, and 12 were more than 14 days after their second dose. I.e. Nearly 30% of these had received two doses

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08971c08d9a7a8#block-60c331258f08971c08d9a7a8

The figures don't distinguish cause of death, so those 12 could have died from unrelated causes.
I'm not trying to argue one way or the other by the way, just offering balance

Unless you know the reason they were in hospital to start with and details of age, medical history, comorbidities etc the fact that 42 people died means nothing, certainly not that they died of Covid merely that they had a positive test within the last 28 days. To put it in context an average 1500 people a day die in the UK. Most recent ONS data:
"The number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 28 May 2021 (Week 21) was 9,628; this was 232 fewer deaths than the previous week (Week 20) and 3.1% below the five-year average (312 fewer deaths)."

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back