advertisement

Oasis eviscerated

Outstanding indeed! I never did get Brit Pop. And think that explains some of why. Don’t necessarily agree with all of it but…

Likewise. I never got what people saw in them. I hadn’t realised they were quite that unpleasant and gammony, but I never paid attention to them. There was just no overlap with the stuff I was listening to at the time. I had no interest in that scene at all aside from a couple of shoegaze bands who curled out something approaching a Brit Pop album at the end of their career (e.g. Lush, even the Boos got a bit close), but they were still good.

I thought he was quite kind there. At the time Oasis confirmed my some years previous exit from regressive guitar rock. I couldn't believe how anyone was taking their leaden Kinks/Beatles mash up pastiche seriously. And then they became the 90s equivalent of Thriller, the album tedious people who didn't like music played at their house parties, from start to finish.

Sums up exactly how I feel about the brothers entire output, very eloquently. Tragic that oasis got so far with a few variants of basically the same song, and how Noel has so predictably lapsed into the whinging ex-star who can never regain the heights.

I'm sure all 260 of his followers lapped the 'article' up. From a critical perspective his writing is a mixture of swearing and trying to use long words for the sake of it. At the start of his blog entry you learn he dislikes Noel Gallagher, by the end of it you've learned nothing else. It's very linear, the sort of thing an erstwhile public school student might come up with thinking it's ten times better than it is, pretty poor frankly. 3 out of 10! HTH :D

Quite why the author feels the need to denigrate anyone's contribution the the British music oeuvre is beyond me. Im sure his songs must me universally lived, like his own ramblings to an audience of 250 by the time this thread is done. If one doesnt like a musicians work don't listen to it, it you don't like his viewpoint don't read his gammon ramblings.

Gallagher's just morrisey for football fans, don't give him oxygen if you think he's a twat.

I'm sure all 260 of his followers lapped the 'article' up. From a critical perspective his writing is a mixture of swearing and trying to use long words for the sake of it. At the start of his blog entry you learn he dislikes Noel Gallagher, by the end of it you've learned nothing else. It's very linear, the sort of thing an erstwhile public school student might come up with thinking it's ten times better than it is, pretty poor frankly. 3 out of 10! HTH :D

Yeah but fun to read even if it is one dimensional.

I have to say I think my original posting (although second to the punch) in off topic is much more appropriate than sticking it in the Music section :p

Well, someone I've never heard of does not like Oasis whom I have. Always preferred Oasis to Blur but that's not really saying much.

Good rant, 9/10.

Never got into oasis despite managing and working behind the bar 6 nights/week in THE only decent pub in my town back in 93 to 98, in fact I went as far to remove the oasis cd from the cd jukebox (remember them?, a £ for 3 songs) and replace it with “Andy Stewart - Donald where’s yer troosers”, caused much hilarity and abuse….mainly aimed at me as everyone knew I had done it. I was into dance/techno music, clubbing and hugging complete strangers whilst off my tits on whatever dodgy pills n’ powders I could shove down my throat and up my nose…..some of the best days of my life (yes..they really were) and mostly catalogued in the 6 shoe boxes I have full of thousands of photos from the 90’s, I always carried my Olympus mju 35mm camera and rolls of film with me……………..I could blackmail many folk, some now rather famous in the music/tv/radio scene these days with those pics ;)…… but nope……they’ll be burnt before I pop my clogs.

I saw Oasis live in Memphis, 15 February 1995, in a medium-size theater venue. As individuals each member was only barely competent on their respective instruments, but together they sounded pretty good. And Liam could belt it out. I was entertained. I bought the CD, played it once, and was done. Really had no further use for them.

Somehow it's not a surprise that Noel is a complete twunt.

I can never remember which Gallagher is which. Don't like their music much, though the theme to The Royle Family is quite nice. I suppose if you were young enough to have missed the Beatles, Stones and Kinks they were an OK sort of facsimile.

I found it amusing at the time that the term 'Cool Britannia' was a rip-off of a Bonzo Dog song from some 30 years in the past. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

advertisement

Back