advertisement

Motorbikes wtf ?

gone too fast and ran out of talent

I saw a TV report and a Scottish traffic cop who was a motorcyclist remarked on how often they were called to single vehicle accidents where a motorcycle had gone off the road on a left hand bend. The illusion of safety given by the empty space on the right encourages some bikers to take the bend faster.

Sadly this week a biker, who did some work out our house in January, was killed on his bike. Judging from the newspaper photos it looks like a car turned across the path of the bike. I know it is not wise guess the reasons for collisions from the press photos, because vehicles often move quite a bit after the initial impact.

I know this isn't going to go down that well but, 'live fast die young' is still around. 2021 caveat. But do it alone.

There is less hooligan behaviour on bikes now than there was in the 80s and 90s. Think yourself lucky that you are an old fart now and not then.

There are fewer loud pipes, there is less speeding, less wheelying, less accidents, there are in actual fact fewer sports bikes also.

Anyway, if you make another ten years, you won’t hear them at all as they rush past you in silence at 150mph.

There is less hooligan behaviour on bikes now than there was in the 80s and 90s. Think yourself lucky that you are an old fart now and not then.

There are fewer loud pipes, there is less speeding, less wheelying, less accidents, there are in actual fact fewer sports bikes also.

Anyway, if you make another ten years, you won’t hear them at all as they rush past you in silence at 150mph.

I used to go to a ‘Bike Meet’ at some pub on the edge of Nottingham in the early 90’s, it was fairly normal to see folk wheelying past the pub. The atmosphere was electric. There was a Bike Meet near Eastwood I used to go to now and again.
And Matlock Bath is only 10 miles ish from my house, Sunday afternoon doughnut, or half a pint at the Fish Pool pub (I think it was called) - got very Police heavy though eventually, and lots of wannabes.
We preferred to find quiet backroads either Peak District way, or flat Lincolnshire.

The burble of my V4 with the baffle out of the S/S pipe was one of the best sounds I have ever heard, as my mate said at the time, gave him a semi on. ;)

120 on Park Lane in that London would take some beating I think:) About 5am and pre speed cameras:D

I rode in central London in the nineties, girlfriend lived next to Covent Garden.

It used to be fun riding very early morning, nobody about. Yamaha FZ 750 (all black) was fun then. I learned a lot riding in that traffic.
I think the fun has gone out of it now, definitely had the best of it.

Not really; not on a nice Sunday evening when you're just wanting to chill & you've got every knobber under the sun on their motorbikes hooning it at 100mph plus on the local'ish bypass

And I'm not anti-biker; not interested in them myself as I'm aerodynamic as a brick wall; but my FIL has a Ducati (no idea which), a Yammy FJR1300 and BMW RS1250 and quite a few of my pals are into their crotch-rockets ;)

Sorry if it disturbs you.......but it’s always music to me......when motorbikes were mainly British (I’m old and remember) I could identify what make they were by the sound!

Gary

Bit OT but the road users that currently really scare me are people on electric scooters weaving in and out of rush hour traffic on the Old Kent Road wearing air pods.
Mm, let’s see.

I take it you don’t listen to the radio when driving?

It’s never the motorist is it? Apart from when it always is.

Held up by an accident a few weeks ago as the police fished a bike out of a tree. Looked like they’d gone too fast and ran out of talent. I’m sure speed is intoxicating, but it isn’t always just themselves they injure.

Yep, feel sorry for the tree

I know this isn't going to go down that well but, 'live fast die young' is still around. 2021 caveat. But do it alone.

I think you learned more about driving on two wheels than you ever could on four, mistakes cost big time. Generally to yourself. I had a car turn right on me no signalling, I was behind, too close, too fast, my fault. Hospitalised for nearly a year, touch and go on loosing a leg, I was fortunate.

The day I got out of hospital (one leg still in plaster up to the top) I found I could ride my uncles Honda 50 moped!

I stated earlier the thrill of speed is an addiction, I learned but it never left me, even now in my dotage....lol.

I’m now on 4 wheels in a sports car I built, every nut, bolt, washers and rivets. 208 bhp 600kg including me. Love it.

They say you never learn....lol.

Gary

Sorry if it disturbs you.......but it’s always music to me......when motorbikes were mainly British (I’m old and remember) I could identify what make they were by the sound!

Gary

My Dad was a biker, various B.S.A’s and Triumphs. One of my earliest memories is being in a sidecar, behind my Mam who was in the front seat, it had a roof and I think a windscreen wiper!
The repetitive thud of those bikes was heavenly as a child. And there was always a motor in bits on the kitchen table.
Got photographs somewhere of me on one of my Dads bikes, holding the bars, must have been 6 years old. Before I came along my Dad had one of those ‘bullet’ sidecars, looked like a bit off of a fighter plane.
My Dad did have a go on a Vincent Black Shadow, but said that he was scared of it. He wheelyed it by mistake, I think it put him off. He certainly wasn’t a Mod.

Mm, what about those who have to pick up the pieces? Family, NHS etc

True - but equally relevant when you consider a wide range of activities from scuba-diving, rock climbing, and parachuting, to more sedate things like smoking, over-eating, or drinking to excess, or simply lack of a decent diet and fitness. There's a lot of things out there'll kill you if you're not careful :)

The fast bikers aren't that big a problem, they will eventually kill themselves.

It's the slow ones on old men's bikes that are a problem. If you end behind a bunch, trying to pass them is futile. They sound ugly to.

Worst of all, a racing track was built next to us, without any possible discussion or case study.
A political decision.
Bikers (and silly, pointless fast Italian and German cars) make an incredible and unbearable noise all day long. Isn’t there a law against that?
Actually there is! The same law that says you can’t mow your lawn on Sundays or at night.
But nobody seems to care. Local authorities don’t do anything to enforce the law – politics again.
I hate noisy selfish and childish bikers that awake me on Sunday mornings and prevent me from napping.
I really enjoyed the lockdown last year. It felt like we lived in the country again!

Best motorbike sounds in order of symphonic excellence:

1. Shrieking inline 4 cylinder 4 strokes on song, approaching the limit between 12,000 and 15,000rpm send shivers down my spine every time. So many Japanese 600s, 750s and thous do this so well.
2. V4 four strokes eg RC30 and Panigale, more of a wailing moan than a shriek, equally evocative
3. Any 2 stroke.....baaaaaaaarp, baaaaaaarp baaaaaarp, ring ding ding a ding ding ding. Love it!
4. Most 4 stroke V twins, particularly pre-catalytic converter Ducatis, equipped with carbon Termignonis.....they sound like Lancaster bombers...totally awesome!
5. Inline triple cylinder 4 strokes...less of a shriek, more of an agressive waspy buzz. Nice!
6. 4 stroke singles, particularly on dirt bikes. Sound like massive farts. Amusing.
7. Parallel twin 4 strokes - fairly boring and just sound awkward and mechanical, even when you put a pipe on them.
8. Any Harley....they are all shit.

advertisement

Back