advertisement

Motorbikes wtf ?

The local bypass to us; which is within ear-shot, turns into a race track some Sunday late afternoon/early evenings, more so over the summer. It's 2miles long and fairly straight and uphill; so they tonk it, without failure...

There are a few local powerful cars to me as well, which I know, and can tell which person is out and in which car, more so if the winds blowing in the right direction...

Don't get me wrong; I've tonked it down there a number of times and still do; but rarely do I go above the legal speed limit of 70; it's well known for the local police to be sat there waiting as it's within spitting distance of the East Lancs racetrack, sorry, M65... :rolleyes::D

Enjoy the sound, music to my ears, oh did I mention my other addiction......Castrol R....

Gary

I was close passed by a few bikers a couple of weeks ago

Consideration and courtesy never hurt anyone.

A year or so back now - winding country lane, just a very comfortable two-car width, high banks and hedges to each side. I was following two cyclists and then they cottoned-on and one went well ahead of the other - enough room between bends to overtake one, but not two, safely. So I dopped between them. I got past both, both raised their hands and I pipped the horn a couple of times. No hassle. I could have been stuck behind the two of them for ages unless I took a chance, which I am very, very loath to do.

Enjoy the sound, music to my ears, oh did I mention my other addiction......Castrol R....

Gary

Not really; not on a nice Sunday evening when you're just wanting to chill & you've got every knobber under the sun on their motorbikes hooning it at 100mph plus on the local'ish bypass

And I'm not anti-biker; not interested in them myself as I'm aerodynamic as a brick wall; but my FIL has a Ducati (no idea which), a Yammy FJR1300 and BMW RS1250 and quite a few of my pals are into their crotch-rockets ;)

Last edited:
Fast bikes, fast cars, loud music, sex, drugs, fast women, wild clothes, swearing, the odd punch up.

It’s ‘being young’ isn’t it?

There’s a pub near us that we like going to after a bit of a walk. It’s at a local beauty spot. It attracts bikers like locusts. Often the police attend to prevent the wheely nutters showing off. However I’d humbly suggest that many of them have had a little struggle to get into their leathers, and it seems to be more about wanting to be young again rather than being young ;)

Quite often if the police aren’t there they’re a bloody noisy nuisance. Held up by an accident a few weeks ago as the police fished a bike out of a tree. Looked like they’d gone too fast and ran out of talent. I’m sure speed is intoxicating, but it isn’t always just themselves they injure.

So I live between Dorking and Horsham.
A well known biker run, taking in Box Hill, A272 loop and Whiteways. Well known ‘biker roads’.
I’m on the narrow section of A24 where it’s tight and twisty, single lane, hump bridges, unlit. A nightmare, as proved by the volume of serious RTA’s and fatal motorbike accidents over the last 20 years.
Every day I drive this road and the surrounding, incl a fast section of dual carriageway A24.
Why do 95% + of people on sports bike think they are totally immune to the driving laws and speed laws of the UK? the standard of riding and excessive speed is insane - there are very few sports bikes I see actually sticking to speed limits and not doing crazy overtakes !
When did it all get like this and whilst there are bad car drivers etc, not to the extent of volume (from what I see every day), why do bikers think they can act this way?

Can you ride a motorcycle?

If not, have you ever ridden pillion on a motorcycle?

I am not excusing poor road etiquette, but you may understand (a little) what makes some bikers do what they do - particularly if you have experience of acceleration from a standstill or twisty roads.

I could describe some of the fun I have had on a bike, but those things are best left for chats with other bikers. Think ‘Street Fightered’ Yamaha XS 1100, with flat bars and how that chassis reacted to spirited riding.

As with the way of things, folks notice the idiots, and all bikers get tarred with the same brush.

Consideration and courtesy never hurt anyone.

A year or so back now - winding country lane, just a very comfortable two-car width, high banks and hedges to each side. I was following two cyclists and then they cottoned-on and one went well ahead of the other - enough room between bends to overtake one, but not two, safely. So I dopped between them. I got past both, both raised their hands and I pipped the horn a couple of times. No hassle. I could have been stuck behind the two of them for ages unless I took a chance, which I am very, very loath to do.
Yep, that's how it should be done. This can sometimes be misinterpreted by car drivers, on very narrow twisting roads cyclists will sometimes ride two abreast to discourage a driver from doing a risky pass; this may sound counter intuitive but drivers do take chances & will cut back in sharply with sometimes disastrous results. I will always wave a driver through when I have a better view than them. Give & take on both sides is the best way forward.

Bike deaths account for about 1/10th of RTA's per year. I'd guess (and it only a guess) that Bike accidents are about equally caused by the Biker and by 'failure to see' car drivers. I'd also guess that when ANO is involved in a car accident, injury to that third part, or death, is more frequent.

Not an excuse ofc. Daft/bad/dangerous driving is daft and dangerous, but you'll need a government willing to tamper with drugs and genetic engineering to remove that behaviour from some people, and no one wants that.

Do they?

Can you ride a motorcycle?
I had motorbikes for over 20 yrs.
If not, have you ever ridden pillion on a motorcycle?
Yes
I am not excusing poor road etiquette, but you may understand (a little) what makes some bikers do what they do - particularly if you have experience of acceleration from a standstill or twisty roads.
I rode them fast on track, sensible on the public road.

In that case, you know what makes some motorcycle riders do what they do.

Track days were great fun, Cadwell Park being my favourite.

In that case, you know what makes some motorcycle riders do what they do.

Track days were great fun, Cadwell Park being my favourite.

Funnily enough off to Cadwell soon as it happens.

I know all too well about bikes, the how's and why's. What I object to is the Sussex Grand Prix right by my house, with blatant law breaking and massive and totally uncalled for speed. They should do it on track, not on the roads that are shared.

On one of my recent drives down to the south of France, I followed a chap on a sports bike through Lyon, on the urban section of A7. He was wild. He popped a wheelie coming out of the Fourvière tunnel, and stayed on his rear wheel for literally kilometers while traveling at the same speed (or higher) than all surrounding traffic, frequently with one arm behind his back or gesticulating. Have to say it was fascinating to watch. I made sure i kept 100m between him and me in the unlikely event he’d fall off. Finally lost him when he turned off 10 km later. Clearly a grand master.

I know all too well about bikes, the how's and why's. What I object to is the Sussex Grand Prix right by my house, with blatant law breaking and massive and totally uncalled for speed. They should do it on track, not on the roads that are shared.

I am surprised that the powers that be haven’t put up average speed cameras or similar if the bit of road near you has had soo many accidents.
Stick a hi-viz jacket on a mannequin/dummy in your front garden (if you have one) hairdryer pointing at the road… get the neighbours involved etc.

maybe they can't afford a track day, and anyway
licensed fun...is it that much fun?

Was touring Northumberland a few years ago.
Came to a crossroads on a quiet country road.
A big land rover with full bull bars on the front was stopped with a motor bike smashed up on the road.
A long queue of traffic tailed back.
Half the biker was impaled on the front of the land rover.
His top half was on the verge with someone cradling it.
The landrover driver was sat on the roadside just mumbling that he’d killed some one.

Bit OT but the road users that currently really scare me are people on electric scooters weaving in and out of rush hour traffic on the Old Kent Road wearing air pods.

So I live between Dorking and Horsham.
A well known biker run, taking in Box Hill, A272 loop and Whiteways. Well known ‘biker roads’.
I’m on the narrow section of A24 where it’s tight and twisty, single lane, hump bridges, unlit. A nightmare, as proved by the volume of serious RTA’s and fatal motorbike accidents over the last 20 years.
Every day I drive this road and the surrounding, incl a fast section of dual carriageway A24.
Why do 95% + of people on sports bike think they are totally immune to the driving laws and speed laws of the UK? the standard of riding and excessive speed is insane - there are very few sports bikes I see actually sticking to speed limits and not doing crazy overtakes !
When did it all get like this and whilst there are bad car drivers etc, not to the extent of volume (from what I see every day), why do bikers think they can act this way?

It's always been like that. People like riding fast. 'Tis kind of self regulating though - if you do it poorly or dangerously, you wont last.

I'm a few miles from Whiteways, and on a fine summer Sunday morning it does get a 'little noisy' ..ahem. Can get very busy up there, hence most of the main roads around the area too.
Usually a police presence around too, but doesn't seem to stop the nutters (which to be fair seem to be a small minority...).

advertisement

Back