advertisement

Motorbikes wtf ?

badger748

Former bacon enthusiast
So I live between Dorking and Horsham.
A well known biker run, taking in Box Hill, A272 loop and Whiteways. Well known ‘biker roads’.
I’m on the narrow section of A24 where it’s tight and twisty, single lane, hump bridges, unlit. A nightmare, as proved by the volume of serious RTA’s and fatal motorbike accidents over the last 20 years.
Every day I drive this road and the surrounding, incl a fast section of dual carriageway A24.
Why do 95% + of people on sports bike think they are totally immune to the driving laws and speed laws of the UK? the standard of riding and excessive speed is insane - there are very few sports bikes I see actually sticking to speed limits and not doing crazy overtakes !
When did it all get like this and whilst there are bad car drivers etc, not to the extent of volume (from what I see every day), why do bikers think they can act this way?

That is pretty much one of the big appeals of a bike - the speed and feeling of.

I get pissed off on Sunday afternoons.... bikers like to come to my riverside town and have an ice cream and a chat. Fine and lovely. Some expensive machinery. But then they leave via a one way system and roar off up my road - which is a narrow town centre highway. The noise is incredible and really makes afternoons in the garden rather unpleasant at times. Legislate for quiet exhausts is one thing. Make and enforce a 20mph speed limit in the towns road would be another. There is a campaign for 20 mph around here - bikes zipping up the road at insane speeds at times - well over 60 by the time they are 1/2 way down the street. then have clap on anchors before the even narrower exit junction.

It’s love of life, freedom, the thrill of danger, adrenaline junkies. It’s a drug. It’s a disease! If you have it you can’t help it. Always been this way, bikes get faster and handle well. 100 mph used to be a target and the bike could throw you off at will, now it’s easy and...comfortable?

Why are there other road users getting in the way? If there’s a vehicle in front it has to be overtaken!

So I’ve heard :D

Gary

It’s ‘being young’ isn’t it?

Used to be, but I suspect the price of bikes these days means that there are large numbers of 'mature' (trying not to be ageist here:) ) riders.

Jim

It's caused by an intoxicating combination of adrenalin, euphoria, the feeling of power, of being the fastest thing on the road etc.

It is quite seductive and can easily lead you to feel immortal. Unfortunately it's only a feeling.

Plenty of biker nuts amongst the 50+s at work.

Interesting item on the radio yesterday - one or two London boroughs were plagued with boy racers on two and four wheels. They trialled "noise cameras" last year - the locals loved them. To go in permanently sometime soon if not already done.
Sad to tell, the problems will have just moved elsewhere.

I heard that news item. It was described as Lamborghinis and the like.
Then they said there was a £50 fine.
Wow. A real deterrent to a Lamborghini owner!

I live near the Peak District & think some of the bikers are an absolute menace; it is a minority as there seems to be a great number of older riders on upright hybrid off roaders. The other subset is the 'scramblers', I think dislike them even more.

As a humble cyclist I always assumed there would be some kinship with fellow 2 wheelers but they seem to absolutely hate us just like everyone else.

My experience of 'bikers' is that, excepting some total wild nutjob bike gang members, Bikers are the friendliest group of road users around. Road rage is car rage IME (and bicycle rage also). Bikers just ARE nicer.
I know some very nice bikers too!
I was making a specific point about the behaviour of the MAJORITY i see, in my local area, on my local roads.

I heard that news item. It was described as Lamborghinis and the like.
Then they said there was a £50 fine.
Wow. A real deterrent to a Lamborghini owner!

I think it was a mix of vehicles, just incluing that sort of thing. No repeat offenders, the locals liked them as they stopped the problem.

I live near the Peak District & think some of the bikers are an absolute menace; it is a minority as there seems to be a great number of older riders on upright hybrid off roaders. The other subset is the 'scramblers', I think dislike them even more.

Very fast (if there were no other users), very twisty, up and down rolling contryside here for a few miles - you can hear the bikes picking up crazy speed within the 30mph zone, to hit the first "interesting" bit as fast as possible, and the reverse.

Bikers are the friendliest group of road users around. Road rage is car rage IME (and bicycle rage also).

You should sit-in on some of the conversations at work - insisting on pootling along on narrow roads, way into the middle of the road, two abreast etc. etc. Lash out with a boot when and if a car tries to get past.

The local bypass to us; which is within ear-shot, turns into a race track some Sunday late afternoon/early evenings, more so over the summer. It's 2miles long and fairly straight and uphill; so they tonk it, without failure...

There are a few local powerful cars to me as well, which I know, and can tell which person is out and in which car, more so if the winds blowing in the right direction...

Don't get me wrong; I've tonked it down there a number of times and still do; but rarely do I go above the legal speed limit of 70; it's well known for the local police to be sat there waiting as it's within spitting distance of the East Lancs racetrack, sorry, M65... :rolleyes::D

Used to be, but I suspect the price of bikes these days means that there are large numbers of 'mature' (trying not to be ageist here:) ) riders.

Jim

Indeed - none of the trip bikers around here are youngsters. The bikes are simply too expensive. We do sometimes get a ride through with 2 - 3 kids on buzz boxes - super loud but only managing 40mph. We also occasionally get quite a fleet of scooters - many fully decked out with the RAF roundels, MOD mirrors and so on. Again - not youngsters those people!

So I live between Dorking and Horsham.
A well known biker run, taking in Box Hill, A272 loop and Whiteways. Well known ‘biker roads’.
I’m on the narrow section of A24 where it’s tight and twisty, single lane, hump bridges, unlit. A nightmare, as proved by the volume of serious RTA’s and fatal motorbike accidents over the last 20 years.
Every day I drive this road and the surrounding, incl a fast section of dual carriageway A24.
Why do 95% + of people on sports bike think they are totally immune to the driving laws and speed laws of the UK? the standard of riding and excessive speed is insane - there are very few sports bikes I see actually sticking to speed limits and not doing crazy overtakes !
When did it all get like this and whilst there are bad car drivers etc, not to the extent of volume (from what I see every day), why do bikers think they can act this way?

Exactly as it should be and always has been. Great stuff!

I think it was a mix of vehicles, just incluing that sort of thing. No repeat offenders, the locals liked them as they stopped the problem.

Very fast (if there were no other users), very twisty, up and down rolling contryside here for a few miles - you can hear the bikes picking up crazy speed within the 30mph zone, to hit the first "interesting" bit as fast as possible, and the reverse.

You should sit-in on some of the conversations at work - insisting on pootling along on narrow roads, way into the middle of the road, two abreast etc. etc. Lash out with a boot when and if a car tries to get past.
I was close passed by a few bikers a couple of weeks ago, it was pretty scary as I could hear them coming for around 5 minutes before they shot past. They were doing about 80 on Strines Moor which is an area of outstanding beauty popular with walkers, cyclists etc.

advertisement

Back