advertisement

Love Island, harmless fun or dangerous trend

My 20 yr twin girls are avid watchers of Love Island. Even the Mrs watches it too. My excuse to retreat to the man cave and play some music.

There is no doubt that the show influences young people. My two are both tall leggy blond types ('tis true, not sure about the milkman) and they go to a lot of effort to remain in good shape with gym and weights work. No fillers or botox or any other mods involved. Not at all sure they would be same without that influence. They would run a mile from appearing on a show - the fun for them is talking about all the cattiness and stunts that people pull - and trying to guess who will end up with who and who will 'win' at the end. They never vote.

Naked attraction is really, really strange. Who would put themselves up for that?

Mrs H has never seen a single second of Love Island, and regards the whole phenomenon of reality TV with scorn. Elder daughter hasn't even got a TV, and if she had one, it would never be tuned to ITV. Younger daughter is out of the country atm, and though she's not averse to slightly trashy TV (eg regularly watches Eurovision) I doubt Love Island would appeal to her.

That's one I really don't understand.

You need to watch it to get it. It is really interesting, the participants are artists, very talented and some will go on to have great careers. This isnt about a John Lewis make up counter brush up.....

Mrs H watches the Great British Sewing Bee avidly, which is odd because a) she hated needlework at school and b) apart from sewing the odd button on to a shirt or blouse, she rarely sews. An equivalent would be me watching a show in which people compete in carpentry.

One under-reported development is the increase in eating disorders among young men/boys as they become unhealthily attached to washboards and the pursuit of fame.

Mrs H watches the Great British Sewing Bee avidly, which is odd because a) she hated needlework at school and b) apart from sewing the odd button on to a shirt or blouse, she rarely sews. An equivalent would be me watching a show in which people compete in carpentry.
That would be one I'd watch. I think you're onto a theme. How many cookery shows are there, when most of the audience stop at baked potatoes and beans in the culinary skills? The Repair Shop, when most people still throw stuff away. I don't think it has anything to do with the subject. It's all about watching people's comments and reactions - they could be competing in MasterPilot or The Great British Paddleboarder Bee. I also really hate the faux drum roll when they announce who will be fired.

That would be one I'd watch. I think you're onto a theme. How many cookery shows are there, when most of the audience stop at baked potatoes and beans in the culinary skills? The Repair Shop, when most people still throw stuff away. I don't think it has anything to do with the subject. It's all about watching people's comments and reactions - they could be competing in MasterPilot or The Great British Paddleboarder Bee. I also really hate the faux drum roll when they announce who will be fired.

You're right, of course. There's also been a pottery-making show, one about make-up, another two (at least) competitive painting programmes and probably many others of which I'm unaware.

Photography one on the go now. An interior decorating one finished recently. Cookery ones are possibly the oldest of the genre.
I expect TV 'executives' (who are this breed?) are probably dreaming up new ones to sell around the world.

Britain seeks its best amateur tyre changers in "The Great British Jack Off".

Britain seeks its best amateur traditional and roots singer / songwriters in "The Great British Folk Off".

Britain seeks its best amateur lawn layers in "The Great British Sod Off".

The carpentry series (The Chop) was axed due to something about one of the contestants tattoos https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54628712

Photography one on the go now. An interior decorating one finished recently. Cookery ones are possibly the oldest of the genre.
I expect TV 'executives' (who are this breed?) are probably dreaming up new ones to sell around the world.

Pottery throwdown (fun) has finished. Jewellery which fascinates me (as did quite alot of silversmithing as an undergraduate) has just finished.

Maybe as someone of the younger generation, I have a different view but I think Love Island is harmless fun that shouldn’t be taken seriously.

I too was sceptical of it at first but my girlfriend has got me into it and I’ll be tuning into the new series in a couple of weeks. If that makes me an idiot, brain dead etc, fair enough, but some people just like to switch off from the stress of normal life (especially in these hard times) and watch trash TV. Nothing wrong with that...

I enjoy watching car restoration programmes, I'm not really a petrol head and don't really know my way around an engine, other than knowing the basics of how they work. I enjoy watching someone doing what I can't and the end results are usually very pleasing. I spend quite a bit of time on site during office refurbishments, I find it fascinating watching someone skimming a ceiling whilst on stilts.

Cheers BB

Maybe as someone of the younger generation, I have a different view but I think Love Island is harmless fun that shouldn’t be taken seriously.

I too was sceptical of it at first but my girlfriend has got me into it and I’ll be tuning into the new series in a couple of weeks. If that makes me an idiot, brain dead etc, fair enough, but some people just like to switch off from the stress of normal life (especially in these hard times) and watch trash TV. Nothing wrong with that...

But the question is, are the suicides of four 'contestants' and likely issues it causes to many of its viewers (eg body image problems) a price to pay just so you can 'destress' and viewers can feel morally superior to the contestants?

It started 21 years ago with Nasty Nick on Big Brother , so certainly it has been a trend... but I wonder if it is a downward trend rather than an upward one? Haven't viewing figures dwindled on all these shows?

Cretinous TV for scum.... Therefore very popular no doubt. Hey even people thick enough to vote tory and for brexit and who are taking a break from posting racist comments about football players and trying to shame food bank users need to relax.

It must be tile to float my idea for a tv show, Pro-celebrity boxing, first match Tyson Fury v Mary Berry.

Pete

But the question is, are the suicides of four 'contestants' and likely issues it causes to many of its viewers (eg body image problems) a price to pay just so you can 'destress' and viewers can feel morally superior to the contestants?

Can the suicides of these four contestants and body image problems of others be put down to Love Island?

I’m not saying the show doesn’t contribute to this and that it might even be the cause, but so do many other things, and some people are just more prone to these issues than others.

advertisement

Back