advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternumviti

Insufficient privileges to reply.
I haven't suggested you would, in fact I'm contrasting what I believe and certainly hope you would do v what Johnson has done here. I would not expect you to support it.

Right so what's the solution? Mine would be stop trying to manage the media and start negotiating in better faith, face down a few of the extremist ERG and find a way out of the ridiculous red lines over SM/CU alignment - of all the concerns with EU membership, commonality of standards and rules would have been the least controversial. The moronic insistence of symbolic divergence is damaging more than just the NIP.

What's wrong with equivalence, provided that it is properly overseen? The EC insists that the only option is 'dynamic alignment', which basically places the UK straight under ECJ jurisdiction now and in the future. That's straight back to 'vasselage'. Its a non-starter.

Do you think that the EU is absolutely beyond the pale over this question?

I vaguely recall you as one of the few people on this thread who was open to actual debate. This kind of facile comment must irritate even you.

Are you saying then that the UK government is fully prepared for post-Brexit NI trade?

And when you say, "few" - who are they?

Anyway, an update on the talks:

"Šefčovič says this issue is being followed very closely in Congress.

He says all “big players” are closely following how the UK abides by its international obligations.

He says in the past the UK was always seen as a country that respected international agreements.

Now they are “getting phone calls from the United States” about whether this remains the case, he suggests.

He says the implementation of the protocol is the best way to protect the Good Friday agreement.

The EU will explore possibilities within it, he says. But they cannot renegotiate it, he says."

Are you saying then that the UK government is fully prepared for post-Brexit NI trade?

And when you say, "few" - who are they?

Anyway, an update on the talks:

"Šefčovič says this issue is being followed very closely in Congress.

He says all “big players” are closely following how the UK abides by its international obligations.

He says in the past the UK was always seen as a country that respected international agreements.

Now they are “getting phone calls from the United States” about whether this remains the case, he suggests.

He says the implementation of the protocol is the best way to protect the Good Friday agreement.

The EU will explore possibilities within it, he says. But they cannot renegotiate it, he says."

Sure. What did he have to say about the EU respecting international agreements?

I was warning that the backstop and then the NIP were a disaster waiting to happen way back in the 'Oh, Britain' wail, and I said in Jan 2020 that BJ was wrong to sign it. My eyes were wide open, wider open to the traps in the NIP (and WA) than anyone here.

BJ clearly thought that he could blag it on order to get a deal through. It was always going to come back and bite him on the arse. I'm afraid that the alternative was a strong possibility of no deal, but maybe it was a game of brinksmanship that the EU wouldn't have savoured either. The FTA provides advantage weighted well towards EU exporters to the UK, and no deal would have lost them that comfortable advantage. They might just have blinked. As it is, we are now in a worse position than no deal.

So, Boris signed a bad deal, a deal worse than no deal no less to get the deal through. Not sure what any of that has to do with the EU though unless you're suggesting the EU held a gun to his head.

You seem unhappy with the WA and the NIP. Are you an advocate of WTO Brexit then?

Do you think that the EU is absolutely beyond the pale over this question?

Certainly not, on this or any question. But what has that got to do with the very obvious fix that Johnson created and encouraged others to buy into here? It's quite clear that he did this to get elected and worry about it later, well it's worry time. I know you like to frame this in a way that condemning the domestic political lies, distortions and assurances means you must think the EU is perfect, but it really doesn't come into it. He signed up and told the population that he'd just landed the deal that they said couldn't be done, when he did no such thing.

Blaming that on the EU is just lame.

So, Boris signed a bad deal, a deal worse than no deal no less to get the deal through. Not sure what any of that has to do with the EU though unless you're suggesting the EU held a gun to his head.

You seem unhappy with the WA and the NIP. Are you an advocate of WTO Brexit then?

I think it has a great deal to do with the EU, for the reasons I've set out many times. The EU confected this thing initially to break brexit, and when it failed to do that, to keep the UK in its regulatory orbit. It is still trying to do the latter. The EU is entirely culpable in this mess.

Did it hold a gun to BJ's head? Probably not the best metaphor, but the unspoken alternative was no deal. Johnson could have called their bluff and refused to sign it, as by that time he had his majority, but he presumably thought he could say yes, get the deal through, and blag it. He failed to remember that the EU doesn't do compromises (except where it suits its own purposes), and had firm intent to ensure that les autres would be appropriately encourager. Or, more accurately, décourager. So the last letter of the agreement will be applied, in detail, or else.

Am I an advocate of WTO brexit? I'm coming round to the idea. I might need to. We all might. At least it would be a blank canvas.

Certainly not, on this or any question. But what has that got to do with the very obvious fix that Johnson created and encouraged others to buy into here? It's quite clear that he did this to get elected and worry about it later, well it's worry time.

Certainly is. It's going to be interesting to see how this all pans out, to put it mildly.

the EU doesn't do compromises (except where it suits its own purposes)

Yes, other large blocks do compromises all the time purely for philanthropic reasons, I'm sure. Bad old EU, still it was better when they were doing that for us rather than to us. Perhaps a slight mis-appreciation of where the cards in large v small negotiations usually reside, do you think?

I think it has a great deal to do with the EU, for the reasons I've set out many times. The EU confected this thing initially to break brexit, and when it failed to do that, to keep the UK in its regulatory orbit. It is still trying to do the latter. The EU is entirely culpable in this mess.

Did it hold a gun to BJ's head? Probably not the best metaphor, but the unspoken alternative was no deal. Johnson could have called their bluff and refused to sign it, as by that time he had his majority, but he presumably thought he could say yes, get the deal through, and blag it. He failed to remember that the EU doesn't do compromises (except where it suits its own purposes), and had firm intent to ensure that les autres would be appropriately encourager. Or, more accurately, décourager. So the last letter of the agreement will be applied, in detail, or else.

Am I an advocate of WTO brexit? I'm coming round to the idea. I might need to. We all might. At least it would be a blank canvas.

Certainly is. It's going to be interesting to see how this all pans out, to put it mildly.

So what sort of Brexit did you actually vote for if not WTO or WA (and everything in-between)?

As for the rest, you seem to be a man with a hammer who is indiscriminately applying it to all things EU.

Yes, other large blocks do compromises all the time purely for philanthropic reasons, I'm sure. Bad old EU, still it was better when they were doing that for us rather than to us. Perhaps a slight mis-appreciation of where the cards in large v small negotiations usually reside, do you think?

Indeed. Wait until the UK starts negotiating with the US - Liz et al will be running back to Brussels tout de suite.

Sorry, where did I 'slightly mis-appreciate' it?

Sorry, where did I 'slightly mis-appreciate' it?

I didn’t say you did, I asked you if you thought there had been one. It’s the most innocent explanation, the other is that they deliberately misled people. You are very jumpy today.

Oh, sorry, you meant that BJ etc misappreciated it. Yes, probably. I does seem a bit lax of BJ, given that he had made something of a career of setting out the foibles of the EU.

Well, no progress at all today, a tetchy Sefcovic stating that teacher's (the EU's) patience is wearing 'very, very thin', and BJ apparently about to receive a dressing down from the big boss, President Joe Biden.

The intention of the Irish Sea checks is to prevent 'goods at risk' of crossing into the SM/CU without relevant SPS checks or duties from doing so. Food supplies in Sainsburys lorries for delivery to Sainsburys supermarkets do not constitute risk. The earth on seed potatoes and tractor tyres do not constitute any more of a sanitary risk than they did prior to brexit.........

Only a fraction of the goods entering NI are destined for the RoI, it should be very clear what consignments they are, and the checks should be confined to those consignments which are obviously 'at risk'. Anything else is simply absurd, most particularly taken against the current background of complete alignment. It really just exposes the EU for the sham that it is.

Your post is highly facile and disingenuous, calculated to offend any logical clear thinking by your audience.
You seem to think that the citizens of NI are all good law abiding ones and that shipments incoming to NI from GB could not be broken down and redistributed or the whole shipment simply re badged.
What is absurd is that you don’t allow for the inevitable black and grey market economy that will flourish. I for one don’t want my food stuffs to become contaminated by whatever tat BJ & cronies allow in under their international trade agreements

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back