advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only got the current version, which is my first. But it is a favourite, and another ( among a growing list! ) that I will always keep in the cabinet.

We had family round for a BBQ yesterday, which ended up with a bit of a whisky tasting for a few of us. Probably due to the amount of wine consumed earlier that ended upstarting with the Oban Distillers Edition, then the Glenfarclas 25 before finishing off with the JW Blue. Quite an expensive evening, although at least all were well received!

What was the verdict on the 3 whiskies Steve, any overall favourite?

It wasn't that easy to tell that late into the festivities (there are a lot of empty wine bottles!), however if anything it was probably the cheapest one - the Oban Distillers Edition - that came out on top.

My cask strength Seaweed etc. arrives tomorrow. In anticipation I’ve attempted some research and someone mentioned a marked similarity to Octomore, which I never tried. Anyone tried both and care to comment? Or know the truth of Seaweed etc’ origin?

Might pick up a bottle of Kilkerran 12y today, anyone tried it? Oh, and the Longrow peated also. Err, and Springbank 10. Any thoughts welcome.

Or know the truth of Seaweed etc’ origin?
From my stalking of the Master of Malt site (Seaweed is one of their brands) I'm going to guess Laphroaig. I base this on the £15 flash sale reduction they made to the Laphroaig 10 cask strength (no one else has done this) and the coincidence of MoM bringing out a 10yo cask strength sherry cask version in the Seaweed line just as Laphroaig release a 10yo sherry matured line.

Might pick up a bottle of Kilkerran 12y today, anyone tried it? Oh, and the Longrow peated also. Err, and Springbank 10. Any thoughts welcome.
You will not go wrong with any of them at retail prices IMO. Quality drams. The SP10 is excellent - briny, funky a bit smokey and malty.
Not opened my bottled of the K12 or LP but they are consistently well-received by the online community.

I have a Kilkerran 12 (and Springbank 10) on the go. A fine whisky, really well balanced, but subtle. One to start the evening with. 46%, un-chillfiltered, natural colour. good value.

My cask strength Seaweed etc. arrives tomorrow. In anticipation I’ve attempted some research and someone mentioned a marked similarity to Octomore, which I never tried. Anyone tried both and care to comment? Or know the truth of Seaweed etc’ origin?

I'm interested in the Seaweed.. too. The talk of Uigeadail or Bruichladdich is intriguing, but I'm put off by the medicinal suggestion (Laphroaig).

I noticed that with Springbank prices, 50 quid for a 10yr... Still one I want to try though.

The problem with Springbank seems to be getting hold of a bottle! I think I managed to snag mine for just over £40.
But definitely one to try for anyone exploring Scotch beyond the 40% mass market stuff.

I have a Kilkerran 12 (and Springbank 10) on the go. A fine whisky, really well balanced, but subtle. One to start the evening with. 46%, un-chillfiltered, natural colour. good value.

I'm interested in the Seaweed.. too. The talk of Uigeadail or Bruichladdich is intriguing, but I'm put off by the medicinal suggestion (Laphroaig).
I bought my first Seaweed CS the other day. I don't really get a lot of the medicinal side, so I wouldn't let that put you off. Really enjoying it.

So over at the Wee Dram the KK12, Longrow and SP10 are in stock and £120 delivered for all three. Not cheap but not outrageous. I have not used them but they are listed as an official stockist by Springbank. Looks like they take credit cards.

I have also noticed that when MoM restock their Springbanks they do not appear on the new release page but merely become available against the old stock entry I.e. it is worth checking now and again. Their price on SP10 does look to have crept up to 45 quid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back