advertisement

Let There Be Rock

Charlie_1

pfm Member
Having downgraded and gone back in time, I can't help but feel that rock music has been a casualty of 3+ decades of pursuit of cleaner / cleaner / more detailed sound. As a teenager, all my friends' budget systems could rock with ease. Go to a hifi show these days (when they're open again) and nearly everyone is playing boring cr@p that sounds impressive. These setups just don't rock. They say, 'rock music is too simple and you need to hear something more complex'. No, I just want to hear a system that can keep time properly and not dump any rhythmic information in the bin at the expense of greater resolution and transparency. Rock on Tommy!

What great rock systems/components have you heard?

Just seen this.

I habtually listen to drum and bass, electronic, ambient, modern clasical, but stuck some ACDC on the TT, just to test.

The air-guitar and uncontrollable foot movement and urge to pump up the volume were there within a very few seconds.

Whatever that means........................

We didn’t know better in seventies, most live gigs had rubbish pa’s. So home hifi sounded like a bad Pa, that’s where naim stepped in and isobaric style reigned supreme.

Fook, this ACDC is GOOD...............................................

My 3-4-5-6-monthly dose!!

We didn’t know better in seventies, most live gigs had rubbish pa’s.

That has got to be one of the greater understatements on PFM.............

In truth, what a studio could do at the time, could never be done live, I strongly suspect.

Interesting how much playback has caught up with recording, most laptops can work as a porta studio, and as a high end source.
Strange in 1965 the record printers never knew the sonic possibilities of the discs they made?

Maybe a lot of the rock play "hassle" stems from the really dreadful quality of records in the 70's - 80's - 90's? For me a great period but recodings seem, on average, to have been dreadful?

I’m a rock bass player so..........

It took a while but I have now 3 kits that really rock.

First : Naim CD5XS/Flatcap/Supernait used as a preamp/NAP 250.2 with custom made isobaric bookshelf with an F3 of 32 Hz. In my small room, it feels like a large 15 inch woofer in terms of chest pressure but always perfectly controlled.

Second : Marantz CD used as a transport/ highly modified AK4497 DAC/Exposure XXI/IV mk2 unregulated with custom made bookshelf based on Motus 6 inch woofer.

Third and probably my best : Same source as second, Naim NAC 32.5/Hicap/NAP 160 BD with custom made floor standers with 6 inch Carbon-Rohacell Satori. This latest plays a 5 or 6 string bass guitar with ease, going down to 28 Hz without losing control but in a powerful way, at least in my room of 16 foot x 11 foot large. Double bass drum punch hard and deep but you can clearly hear the pause between two kicks as the small woofer is reacting very quickly.

As a rule of thumb, a good low moving mass 6 or 6 1/2 inch woofer into a 1 cubic foot enclosure gives the best results, as long as you don’t go over 95 dB, all IMO, of course.

Another cheap one that rocks : Tangent TM1

every time you go to a show, the BIG boys krell dan D, etc, all play shocking Nepalese nose flute's , and crap, you hear a great song from a room playing Zep Eagles, dire St, the rooms are rammed, that's what we play and what we want to hear, bring on Scools out, by alice every day,,

This is just your mind playing tricks on you. All kids's systems rock to their ears. And playing 'audiophile' music at dealers / hifi-shows is nothing new. It's just you getting older chap...

Besides this party-pooper remark: nothing beats a Naim at rocking the suburbs!

advertisement

Back