advertisement

Music Books

Apols if this has already been mentioned upthread, but Mark Lanegan‘s memoirs, Sing Backwards and Weep is blooming’ brilliant. Half “music book”, half journey to the brink of everything, its really well written and brutally honest. Worth the admission fee for the chapter on Liam Gallagher alone.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just finished Greg Wilson ‘discotheque archives’ a history of important clubs, labels and records in club culture from the 1960’s onwards and really enjoyed it. First press was limited and sold out but I believe a 2nd run is coming soon. Plus has some lovely artwork from the artist Pete Folwer

I'm currently handling this 1.5kg beast:

51bdbVpCb+L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0195183592/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ambient 1: Music for Airports by John Lysaker

This book is of an analysis of the album rather than an account of how it was made, and none the worse for that. Lysaker puts the album in the context of its influences which is interesting. He also looks at how one listens to MFA, and this aspect of the book wasn't so convincing.

9781474619493-1.jpg

I saw these guys at End of the Road festival a few years back and they played a DJ set quite unlike anything I have ever witnessed. If this book is half as wild, it will be a great read.

On pre-order at Sounds of the Universe now.

Read this a couple of years ago. The first few chapters covering him growing up and forming Squeeze are great. He is very candid when writing about his alcoholism, but I didn't feel there was much insight. It reads like he's repeating what his therapists have said to him.

The best bit is where he works with Bryan Ferry, which comes across as quite a surreal episode.

Read this a couple of years ago. The first few chapters covering him growing up and forming Squeeze are great. He is very candid when writing about his alcoholism, but I didn't feel there was much insight. It reads like he's repeating what his therapists have said to him.

The best bit is where he works with Bryan Ferry, which comes across as quite a surreal episode.

I read the two big autobiographies of the day, Springsteen and Costello. I think think this may be the most enjoyable of the bunch, it's beautifully written.

I read a (mostly positive) review of it in the London Review of Books. One thing I didn't know at the time was how much Anthony Burgess hated The Beatles. Brown ascribes this to envy; Burgess composed music that no-one wanted to listen to. Personally, I think it was because Burgess was from Manchester and was thus a miserable get.

I read a (mostly positive) review of it in the London Review of Books.
I’m trying to work out whether I ought to buy it or not based on the pfm perceptions of the authors of the mini-crits on the cover. I think Julian Barnes got a thumbs-up at some point, maybe for that book with the picture of The Raft of the Medusa inside, the name of which escapes me. Dominic Sandbrook was definitely thumbs-down - I think he once wrote an article for a Tory Tabloid - which leaves Alexander Armstrong. I’m not sure if the pfm massive has expressed an opinion on him yet, but personally I think it he should be charged with crimes against singing. So two to one against - but I like the Beatles, and Craig Brown, so sod that.

I’m trying to work out whether I ought to buy it or not based on the pfm perceptions of the authors of the mini-crits on the cover. I think Julian Barnes got a thumbs-up at some point, maybe for that book with the picture of The Raft of the Medusa inside, the name of which escapes me. Dominic Sandbrook was definitely thumbs-down - I think he once wrote an article for a Tory Tabloid - which leaves Alexander Armstrong. I’m not sure if the pfm massive has expressed an opinion on him yet, but personally I think it he should be charged with crimes against singing. So two to one against - but I like the Beatles, and Craig Brown, so sod that.

I've only heard good things about that book - I don't have it myself (yet)

advertisement

Back