advertisement

Rega planar 3 or old lp12

I’m about to start a new thread: Rega Planar 10 or old LP12................o_O
Rega Planar 10... unless the old LP12 is actually a very well sorted, newer LP12 under the hood, like mine!

I debated recently on what to buy but ended up spending new Planar 10 money on a used LP12... I’m not disappointed at all, but I certainly wouldn’t have been disappointed with the Planar 10 either. I just wanted another LP12 ultimately... and I won’t lose a fortune if I decide to move on later.

Be a very short lived thread if the topic of discussion is which one actually goes round at a stable speed.
Never had speed stability issues with an LP12... I did with my P5/Neo but Rega did fix that without charge.

Rega Planar 10... unless the old LP12 is actually a very well sorted, newer LP12 under the hood, like mine!

I debated recently on what to buy but ended up spending new Planar 10 money on a used LP12... I’m not disappointed at all, but I certainly wouldn’t have been disappointed with the Planar 10 either. I just wanted another LP12 ultimately... and I won’t lose a fortune if I decide to move on later.
Quite honestly, I would be very happy with either one as they both bring me into music and let me forget about all those technical details.
My decision would be more about aesthetics vs good fit in the living room and of course, wife acceptance factor !

What you mean is that you didn't notice ;0)
If I haven’t noticed or can’t hear it, I’m not going to worry about it. I think the Rega and Linn approaches are equally valid and I’d happily own either... same goes for Michell for what it’s worth... or Avid. At this level, they’re all pretty decent.

Linn wins hands down then. Something really nice about the look and feel of them.
And that paid a part in what I bought another one... I specifically wanted a mint fluted one but with modern components because I love the look, and so that’s what I ended up with.

It would be an interesting demo the RP10 with say a AT95 ML - LP12 Majik with AT95 ML.The Karousel is now fitted as standard and their both similar price points.
The Karousel to my ears is a revelation.It's really brought the sound up another level just so clean.
As for LP12 speed issues I have never been aware of it in the past and I am on my 3rd now.
Stock RP 10 probably better value with the beautiful RB3000 arm with it.The Ekos SE is £4 000 say no more !
At the end of the day there 2 superb British decks.

It would be an interesting demo the RP10 with say a AT95 ML - LP12 Majik with AT95 ML.

I think it would be a mistake to use the same cart on both as AT carts don't really suit the RP10. I think they would trade punches and expect I would prefer the Linn but I don't know. I've never heard an LP12 with the Karusel.

It’s interesting that we’re comparing an old lp12 to a new Rega because the original rega3 with Acos arm is the most musical deck Rega ever made.

It would be an interesting demo the RP10 with say a AT95 ML - LP12 Majik with AT95 ML.The Karousel is now fitted as standard and their both similar price points.
The Karousel to my ears is a revelation.It's really brought the sound up another level just so clean.
As for LP12 speed issues I have never been aware of it in the past and I am on my 3rd now.
Stock RP 10 probably better value with the beautiful RB3000 arm with it.The Ekos SE is £4 000 say no more !
At the end of the day there 2 superb British decks.

I know a few people that have done the demo P8 or P10 versus Majik LP12 and they came away with Majik LP12's. From what I've read on the forums it's a common outcome too. Now that the Majik has the new Karousel bearing and the new Clearaudio tonearm its likely even more in favour of the LP12 I suspect. In the end though, you just have to go listen to them yourself. I had a Majik (Cirkus/Jelco version) myself recently and was really surprised how good it was. Thoroughly modern sounding turntable and a world away from the 80's versions (which I love)!

Ask 12 LP12 owners for an opinion and probably get 12 different answers - on PFM anyway - and that's no bad thing. So here's another...

I bought a new Majik LP12 in last years Karousel promo. Much preferred my late 80s Valhalla/Ittok/K9 deck but using vintage Linn/Naim amps and speakers so no doubt that's a factor. Ened up taking the Majik deck back in time to early 90s with black liner bearing, serviced L1 and Ekos 2 which is much more my cup of tea.

Having said that, a Karousel'd Akurate deck on modern Exakt Linn system does sound very impressive indeed.

Also borrowed a p10 earlier last year so I do get Mr Pig's speed comment, even against my Radikal deck. P10 was like a cd player in a good way, but i very rarely notice the LP12s inferior speed stability during normal listening.

I know a few people that have done the demo P8 or P10 versus Majik LP12 and they came away with Majik LP12's. From what I've read on the forums it's a common outcome too. Now that the Majik has the new Karousel bearing and the new Clearaudio tonearm its likely even more in favour of the LP12 I suspect. In the end though, you just have to go listen to them yourself. I had a Majik (Cirkus/Jelco version) myself recently and was really surprised how good it was. Thoroughly modern sounding turntable and a world away from the 80's versions (which I love)!

Interesting, but not surprising. The LP12 delivers the musical goods for me and I have no interest in ever replacing it. Most of my listening nowadays is via Spotify through my two Sonos Amps which I find the whole concept quite enjoyable. I do still enjoy my LP’s and like to spin them when my friends are over shooting pool or when I want to do some solo active listening.

Its nice to know that the Karousel bearing upgrade is out there if I ever fancy a change.

...but I very rarely notice the LP12s inferior speed stability during normal listening.

I think that in some ways it actually enhances the sense of flow, but only on certain music. I found that certain songs or tracks sounded very wrong on the LP12. The bad speed stability was so obvious it was unlistenable.

Modern-sounding meaning clean, quiet, orderly, or something else? And a world away as in closer to other decks whose sound is contrasted with the Linn sound, or still distinctively Linn?

I should point out, that any LP12 of any era, can be set up and left as it is; nobody is holding a gun to your head to do the upgrades, in fact many/most of us, couldn't afford them anyway. A belt and a mat now and again maybe.
Spot on.

advertisement

Back